Author Topic: Unemployment plummets after crackdown on illegals  (Read 2467 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Unemployment plummets after crackdown on illegals
« on: April 25, 2008, 05:47:56 PM »
We should this article to all of our elected officials.  I wonder how much the wage scale went up.

Unemployment plummets after crackdown on illegals
Lawmaker: Oklahoma no longer 'OK' for undocumented aliens
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=62537

By Jerome R. Corsi
© 2008 WorldNetDaily

Unemployment rates are rising across the United States, except Oklahoma. That state is experiencing the most dramatic reduction in unemployment since 2007, an improvement many in Oklahoma attribute to the passage last year by the state legislature of a strong employment-focused immigration reform law.

The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics on Friday reported unemployment in Oklahoma had fallen to 3.1 percent in March, down from 4 percent in March last year, while unemployment nationwide was 5.1 percent, up from 4.4 percent in March last year.

"Oklahoma is no longer 'OK' for illegal aliens," said State Rep. Randy Terrill, who sponsored House Bill 1804 which passed by overwhelming majorities last year in both the House (84-14) and Senate (41-6) of the Oklahoma Legislature.

"The bottom line is illegal aliens will not come here if there are no jobs waiting for them," Terrill said. "They will not stay here if there is no government subsidy, and they certainly won't stay here if they know that if they ever encounter our state and local law enforcement officers, they will be physically detained until they are deported."

(Story continues below)

House Bill 1804, the Oklahoma Taxpayer and Citizen Protection Act of 2007, has been characterized by USA Today as "arguably the nation's toughest state law targeting illegal immigration."

The Oklahoma law imposes strict penalties on employers who knowingly hire illegal aliens, makes it a felony to transport or shelter illegal immigrants, forbids the state to issue drivers licenses or pay social welfare benefits to illegal aliens or their families, and empowers state and local police to enforce federal immigration laws.

Last month, the Oklahoma Bankers Association threatened Oklahoma would lose about $1.8 billion annually in productivity and wages, largely because House Bill 1804, which went into effect in November last year, will force an estimated 50,000 illegal immigrants to leave the state.

The group based the conclusions on a study done by economists Russell Evans and Kyle Dean of the Oklahoma-based Economic Impact Group that estimated as many as 70,000 illegal immigrants were living in Oklahoma when the legislation was passed.

Proponents of the law would counter that forcing illegal aliens to leave Oklahoma was precisely the intended effect of the bill.

"The next question to ask would be whether citizens have taken jobs that illegals used to do," observed blogger Tom Blumer. "Though the lower unemployment rate doesn't in and of itself prove that, it does point strongly in that direction."

"Will anyone in Old Media dig more deeply into the Sooner State's situation?" Blumer wondered. "Or will they try to pretend that Oklahoma's improvement doesn't exist, because finding out why might expose some inconvenient truths, and hurt the cause of illegal-immigrant 'amnesty.'"

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Unemployment plummets after crackdown on illegals
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 05:50:54 PM »
month, the Oklahoma Bankers Association threatened Oklahoma would lose about $1.8 billion annually in productivity and wages, largely because House Bill 1804, which went into effect in November last year, will force an estimated 50,000 illegal immigrants to leave the state.

check out the one thing leads to another thread for a vision of the future
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 06:23:40 PM »
the Oklahoma Bankers Association threatened Oklahoma would lose about $1.8 billion annually in productivity and wages,
Are the bankers threating the State of Oklahoma.  If not, why wasn't the word "estimated" used instead of threatened.

How much will the State of Oklahoma save on welfare, unneeded medical care, and reduction of education of illegal children cost?

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 06:32:14 PM »
you imagine 70k folks suck up a billion bucks? thats 14 k each. hang tough though you folks might last longer than the other areas that have talked tuff then rolled over when the reallity hit
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 07:54:14 PM »
Unemployment plummets?  I remember when you were scolded in school for using double negatives in writing...
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 06:49:19 AM »
you imagine 70k folks suck up a billion bucks? thats 14 k each. hang tough though you folks might last longer than the other areas that have talked tuff then rolled over when the reallity hit
Lucky for us Okies you're in the NE US. Stay there! Hell if you like illegals so much maybe some of the ones fleeing OK will mosey on up your way and you can spend your tax dollars supporting 'em.

As for 14k each that's way less than reality. Their kids go to our schools, they get free medical in our emergency rooms and clog 'em up and make it harder for real emergencies to get handled (I've experienced that personally), they get food stamps and other welfare benefits. They drive uninsured and they've brought their stinking gangs to our state. 14K? Illegals suck up way more than 14K per each one in tax dollars.

They're already leaving in droves. The only people complaining are farmers and construction business owners. Sucks to be them and have to hire citizens and legals and pay 'em a fair wage.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 07:23:32 AM »
If not, why wasn't the word "estimated" used instead of threatened.

Because the outcome they predict is negative.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 08:05:00 AM »

$14K is a few nights in the hospital with a moderately serious illness or job-related injury.  Having a baby will use up $14K and another $5K-$10K.

So, $14K each is not a stretch.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 09:00:52 AM »
My guess is that the big thing driving unemployment down in OK is the price of oil.

Kicking out a few illegals may be helping, but its probably not the driving force. Illegals do use up far more resources than they produce though, so the reduction in public expenditures for welfare and educational benefits will almost certainly balance out any minor harm to the economy. And it ought to have some measurable effects on reducing crime, since many illegals are violent offenders.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 07:41:19 AM »
The price of oil is not having that much of an impact in Oklahoma.  The number of rigs is not going up that much.

It is fun coming back on leave and listening to everyone bitch, moan and complain about the effect that HB 1804 has had.

Get over it, come to this country legally and if you are a company make sure you hire only those that are here legally.  Not that hard to do.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 07:52:33 AM »
The price of oil is not having that much of an impact in Oklahoma.  The number of rigs is not going up that much.
The article said unemployment went from 4% to 3.1%. Doesn't take much to move a local economy's employment numbers less then 1% in a year. By most standards, umemployment under 5% is pretty close to full employment.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 07:54:05 AM »
The article said unemployment went from 4% to 3.1%. Doesn't take much to move a local economy's employment numbers less then 1% in a year. By most standards, umemployment under 5% is pretty close to full employment.

Something I'd seen recently mentioned how farmers there who had some wells on their land were able to buy brand-new tractors, combines and the like, which is helping the local economy.