Author Topic: WalMart ID  (Read 7334 times)

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
WalMart ID
« on: April 27, 2008, 02:09:13 PM »
Just a heads up on another new WalMart policy.

On Friday I was in my local wally world getting a box of .22's and some other stuff.  I was informed that it is now WalMart policy that any item that has an age restriction now requires ID to be swiped, no exceptions.  This includes alcohol, tobacco, R rated movies, ammo, etc.  No exceptions to this rule.  I finally managed to get through the various phone calls confirming this is indeed corporate policy.

Sucks, around here walmart is the only place with decent practice ammo at anywhere near a decent price.  12 dollars vs 20 for a bulk pack of .22 remington.

I let them know how stupid this was and that while I have no problem with my ID being checked, swiping it is the straw that breaks the camels back.

Just figured I'd share so no one else is surprised.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: WalMart ID
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 02:24:11 PM »
No. I will NOT allow my ID to be swapped. How do they have access to info on the cards mag strip/or in the database?

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 02:29:56 PM »
Can you say, "ID theft"?

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 02:31:32 PM »
No idea, supposedly it's just reading the DOB and not storing anything.

Either way, especially in light of walmarts recent database crap, I don't want them swiping and possibly storing my info.

Makes me wonder what they do in states without the strip.  And also how well running a magnet over mine would work.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 02:37:21 PM »
No idea, supposedly it's just reading the DOB and not storing anything.

Either way, especially in light of walmarts recent database crap, I don't want them swiping and possibly storing my info.

Makes me wonder what they do in states without the strip.  And also how well running a magnet over mine would work.

If you do that, you'll no longer be able to buy cold medicine with pseudoephedrine in it at any pharmacy. They've now gone from a logbook to a card swipe for the purchase.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 02:39:09 PM »
Just use your passport for ID. Let the Wallmart tart figure out how to swipe that.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 02:43:18 PM »
Really?  I work there and was told nothing of the sort.

There is a new policy that if you appear to be below forty and are purchasing alcohol you have to SHOW your ID...

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 02:45:40 PM »
I just realized NJ drivers licenses don't have a mag stripe on them. Take that wallmart.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 02:46:48 PM »
Interesting Dnt.

I'll have to follow up with corporate.  I wonder what sort of trouble a store gets in for claiming something that is loosing customers is corporate policy.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 02:53:13 PM »
Interesting Dnt.

I'll have to follow up with corporate.  I wonder what sort of trouble a store gets in for claiming something that is loosing customers is corporate policy.

Who exactly did you speak to? If you only got to the store manager, the managers of most big-box stores are usually beyond clueless.

Rocketman56

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 06:27:29 AM »
My SIL, who works in the WM home-office, said the policy was to "Check" IDs much more aggressively, not swipe them..
Apparently, in some states, (she didn't elaborate) swiping the ID is against the law..

Not that somebody can't have a fake ID, but...

Also, after some of her stories, I NEVER pay anything but cash at WM or SC..  Inconvenient, but..

Later,
Steve
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
Robert A. Heinlein

Ad astra per aspera
"through the thorns to the stars"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 07:30:10 AM »
I picked up a 100 pack of 9mm WWB at Walmart last month in Boone, Iowa. They wanted to swipe my ID and I pitched a fit about it and they clerk responded that they don't want children buying ammunition and shooting up the place. I think that was her own thoughts not the companies. If I wasn't on my way to a IDPA match I would have just left the ammo and $50 worth of household crap on the counter and walked out.

I picked up 100 rounds of 12 gauge this Saturday in Ames, Iowa Walmart and didn't get checked for ID. Both of these times were between 7am and 8am.

I would have went to the local outdoor store both times they don't open until 9am and close earlier than I can usually get there.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 09:19:04 AM »
Simple.  Don't shop at Walmart.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 09:45:46 AM »
Update-

I talked to CS who referred the issue to store management, who said that is was corporate policy. In light of how many have not needed ID swiped I have called back to try and get an answer from corporate. CS guy says there is no such policy to his knowledge and is forwarding the issue to someone at corporate store operations to call me back.

I'll report back on how that goes and if it is indeed corporate policy or store policy. As a management at the store has said it is corporate policy "because a lot of ID's aren't being checked" it is at least a store level issue, not the kid who was at the register. In either case, I wont have my ID swiped and it would be interesting to see if WalMart tells the store to knock it off since it is loosing customers.  Checking ID is fine, swiping is not IMO. 

And yes, I'd rather buy from the local store, would even pay a few bucks more. But when the price on a bulk pack of .22 is seven dollars more (a high percentage more considering the price of a bulk pack of .22's) and even more then that for practice ammo on other calibers, the local store is overpricing it. A few bucks is one thing, well above 50% more is another.  I'll suck it up to not have ID swiped, but I sure as hell wont pay the overpriced amount at a local store under normal circumstances.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 09:49:21 AM »
Simple.  Don't shop at Walmart.

Okay Captain Obvious, but did you ever consider than might be some people's only option? If it wasn't for a small chain outdoors store, JAX's or a Midwest chain farm store, Theisen's, here in Ames, IA the only places left to buy ammo would be Walmart or Kmart. Next closest place would be 30 miles away. Both of the other stores don't open until 9am and they are closed between 6pm and 8pm.

Side note, Kmart must sell gold plated ammo because there stuff is freaking expensive.

Uranus is a gas giant.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 10:03:12 AM »
Okay Captain Obvious, but did you ever consider than might be some people's only option?

Sorry.  I forgot Walmart's predatory practices do always drive out the competition.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 11:26:31 AM »
Wal-Mart's pretty much the only store in this town, besides grocery stores.  Our Wal-Mart doesn't sell groceries.  I'll try from now on not to go there...but I will have to eventually.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

TF_FH

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 01:02:29 PM »
I just took a magnet from a computer hard drive (Neodymium rare-earth magnet) and gave it a couple of passes with that on the strip.  Since I did that, every time they try to swipe mine, it doesnt work.  So I just let them swipe it 4 or 5 times before they manually type in my birthday.  cheesy

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2008, 01:19:38 PM »
Sorry.  I forgot Walmart's predatory practices do always drive out the competition.
Did it ever occur to you I choose not to give the local stores my ammo buisness because of their outrageous over pricing?

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2008, 02:09:08 PM »
Did it ever occur to you I choose not to give the local stores my ammo buisness because of their outrageous over pricing?

Yeah.  Who does that storeowner think he is?  Trying to make a living and all. After all, the child slave labor who produce Walmart's stuff are glad to work a 14 hour shift for .75 cents. 

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2008, 02:30:54 PM »

Yeah.  Who does that storeowner think he is?  Trying to make a living and all. After all, the child slave labor who produce Walmart's stuff are glad to work a 14 hour shift for .75 cents. 

Since when does Remington and Olin pay their workers .75 for a 14 hour shift. I want proof of that!

Uranus is a gas giant.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2008, 02:44:14 PM »

When did Remington and Winchester (my two most common ammos) start using child labor at 75 cents an hour?

And as a side note, yes, they are very happy to have 75 cents an hour when the 75 an hour where they are is a lot better then the average.

And trying to make a living doesn't involve charging me a ridicules price that is more then 25% lower at a store roughly 300 yards away.  Yes, walmart gets better prices cause they do much higher volume, however, that difference in cost is not proportional to the extra cost on the shelf.  It's setting a high price, and I choose to take my buisness elsewhere to a more reasonable price. 

The two gun shops I use aren't exactly slow movers either, they have plenty of volume.  They are also not strictly gun stores.  One is a full sized locally owned sporting goods store that does pretty damn good buisness on the whole.  The other is a hardware store that is huge, has a full range of sporting goods as well as tools, household goods, etc.  So we aren't talking a little hole in the wall that needs to make an extreme markup on ammo to stay around an pay his bills.  We are talking two stores with inflated ammo prices.  Profit is good and of course I expect them to make it, but don't insult me with your price at the same time.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2008, 05:07:15 AM »
Okay Captain Obvious, but did you ever consider than might be some people's only option?

For ammo?

I thought it was still legal to mail-order it.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2008, 05:09:02 AM »

For ammo?

Not if you need it Right Now. Plus, only UPS will deliver it, and UPS seems to think it's the 1950's. They expect someone to be home all day on weekdays to sign for it, do not deliver on Saturday, and if you're not home, you need to go to a UPS office to sign for it.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2008, 05:15:27 AM »

For ammo?

Still cheaper to buy it at Walmart, shipping charges eat up the savings.

Uranus is a gas giant.