Author Topic: Ribs  (Read 7033 times)

The Annoyed Man

Ribs
« on: April 29, 2008, 12:59:38 PM »
Not far from here, in a town called Shell Beach (next door to Pismo Beach) is Alex Oak Pit BBQ.  It's been there for, I dunno, 50 years.  I'm just back from lunch there.  2 beef ribs, 2 pork ribs and 2 baby back ribs with thick cut steak fries and freshmade crisp coleslaw all for $12.95.  If there's any better food on the planet, I don't know what it is.

Some of you may live close to great ribs.  Fistful, in St Louis, probably has some great ribhouses nearby.  What is your favorite rib joint? 

Anybody who says Tony Roma's needs to be smacked back into reality.  laugh

And, thus fortified, I'm on my way outside to begin the annual 2 week long weed cutting marathon.  Because fire season approacheth.

Bigjake

• friend
Re: Ribs
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 01:05:11 PM »
Huh??

Wheres the part where we all suck, Bush dunnit, and it's all our fault for enabling him?  Your post seems to be  a bit light  laugh

Good ribs can be had in downtown Lorain from 2 old black guys that burn them in a big ol' rusty grill and food trailer, with a hand painted sign that reads J & J's famous ribs.  Ummm goooood.

The only place better than that is my porch.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 01:45:35 PM »
Most of the sit-inside places here serve meh-ok ribs.

But there are about a dozen different places where some guys (usually just guys, but one place on the way to the airport the long way had several late-teen/early 20's daughters working last weekend as well) set up on Friday night & are ready to sell by late lunch Saturday & all day Sunday.  Back & spare ribs, one place will be doing whole sides this summer so he says, and shoulders and fresh hams are all possible.  All are real coals from hickory or oak (never mixed).  Between $10 & $15 will get me a whole rack.  I can go to some of the Mom&Pop stores for sides.

As summer approaches there are Baptist churches that will be doing BBQ.  I'm also checking out the Pentacostal/Church of God/48 initials that stand for some long involved exposition for various roasted offerings this co,ing summer.  Been to 2 hispanic churches so far and had great Cuban-style BBQ pig & fish.  One was $5/plate and the other was $7.50 which included a largish bottle of ginger beer.

If I could be guaranteed hot pig all year long I might consider converting - as soon as I figure out what I would be converting from.  (Currently I claim to be equivical polydoxical Reformed Druid.)

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 01:47:54 PM »
mmmmm... ribs!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 01:48:47 PM »
Jerry's Old Town in Germantown. #1 in the USA for rib consumption per seat. The ribs were better when Jerry still ran the place but some nights the ribs are as good as they used to be. Thursday is all you can eat rib night and you can get them brought to the bar next door where they have German beer on tap.

http://www.jerrysworldfamousribs.com/
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 05:53:40 PM »
1) A huge platter of smoky beef ribs, about 14 in all, perfectly tender, with the best barbecue sauce ever, plus

2) 1/2 pint cole slaw, plus

3) 1/2 pint potato salad, plus

4) 1/2 pint baked beans,

all for $14 when I was there a few years ago.

Stateline restaurant, El Paso, Texas.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 06:13:19 PM »
Jerry's Old Town in Germantown. #1 in the USA for rib consumption per seat. The ribs were better when Jerry still ran the place but some nights the ribs are as good as they used to be. Thursday is all you can eat rib night and you can get them brought to the bar next door where they have German beer on tap.

http://www.jerrysworldfamousribs.com/

Wonderful ribs and German beer.  The Lord smiles on your town, yessiree.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 07:39:04 PM »
Got a couple drive up rib stands that are in trailers up here.  Authentic from several different traditions.

Paddy, you just made my lunch choice for me.

Thank you sir!
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 08:09:26 PM »
Don't know if it is still there but, there was an excellent BBQ joint by the traffic light in Lewisville, AR, on highway 29.  Mmmmmmmmmm!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

robear

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 08:23:52 PM »
Best I've had was at Corky's in Memphis

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 12:03:04 AM »
Smoky Joe's in Kilmarnock, VA. Modern operation that smokes overnight in a warm, moist environment. Pretty succulent dry-rubbed ribs, with sides of about four different kinds of sauces.

I don't know that they're world-class, but for the Northern neck, they unrivaled. Literally.  grin

TC
TC
RT Refugee

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 12:35:35 AM »
Smokehouse  bbq right by me has some good ribs, if I had any complaints it would be a few times they were too tender and fell apart.

SC has a ton of good bbq, but SC is good at pulled pork BBQ and only so good at ribs I have found
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 05:09:18 AM »
A few years back, I went to a Jazz and Ribs festival in Columbus, Ohio.  There was a small booth with an older gentleman manning what looked like oil-drum grills.  If I remember right, he had four of them lined up in a row.  Behind those, he had two huge steel drums in which he was burning hickory logs.  He was shoveling embers from the firs into the grills using an old e-tool.  he was then throwing wet wood chips on the embers in the grills to produce smoke.  He offered three kinds of ribs.  Dry rubbed with a spicy-sweet rub.  Wet BBQ with a red BBQ sauce, and jerked ribs.  All were great, but the jerked were from Heaven.  I've tried duplicating, to no avail.  If I remember right, he was soaking dried allspice berries and throwing them on the embers as well.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 05:59:16 AM »
Uncle Bub's in Westmont, IL for all things BBQ (If we don't do it ourselves...)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 06:11:20 AM »
The last time I made ribs, I made a glaze that contained some guava paste (guava and sugar), along with cayenne and garlic.

It caramelized on the fire. And wow, did it taste good.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2008, 08:59:42 AM »
Coleslaw.  I don't know how people can purposely ingest such a foul smelling and tasting substance.  Blech.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2008, 09:04:46 AM »
Coleslaw.  I don't know how people can purposely ingest such a foul smelling and tasting substance.  Blech.

Waah waah wahh.

Pass the cabbage, biach! Cheesy
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2008, 10:34:38 AM »

Waah waah wahh.

Pass the cabbage, biach! Cheesy
Hey, stafoo.
I'm not whining, merely accusing you people of being insane.
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2008, 10:42:12 AM »
Anybody who doesn't like cold crisp slaw has some serious issues IMO.  But, hey, here's the website, pick out something else http://www.alexbarbq.com/index.shtml

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2008, 10:42:38 AM »

It isn't if it is made correctly.  rolleyes
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2008, 12:02:10 PM »
yep, big difference between something like KFC coleslaw and good homemade coleslaw.  No comparison at all.

Wish I could find good ribs here, the best I have found so far is Famous Dave's which is ok but not great.  Montana is more of a steak state.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2008, 12:18:12 PM »
I've had both, and they make me gag.

A menu!  Now, if only they had a store right across the street....

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2008, 01:53:32 PM »
I've had both, and they make me gag.

A menu!  Now, if only they had a store right across the street....

I'm right there with you. Cole slaw is an abomination.

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2008, 02:10:05 PM »
Gates BBQ.  In the ghetto.  Kansas City, Kansas.

Bars on the windows, armed guard.  Michelob on tap.

Amazing.
Zeke

TMM

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2008, 03:41:35 PM »
what state/town is it in? if it's convenient, i'll visit it on my road trip...