Author Topic: Computer gurus-Help!  (Read 1369 times)

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
Computer gurus-Help!
« on: May 15, 2008, 06:43:22 PM »
I got my new computer today. Here's what I got:HP Pavilion m8200n Refurbished AMD Desktop PC - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.0GHz, 3GB DDR-2, 500GB SATA II, DVDRW/RAM-LS, TV Tuner, Flash Reader, Windows Vista Home Premium

I unplugged the old machine, and because my new monitor(ordered separately) had not yet arrived, I plugged in the old one with the new machine. The display is very fuzzy, and has a black border about an inch wide along the bottom and left of the display. Like when a TV picture is out of adjustment, you know? It's about a ten year old monitor, could it be some problem with the communication between the two? I called the folks I got it from, they offered to replace it right away, but if it could be a simple fix, I'd rather take care of it myself.
Rocketman, advice?
This is killing my eyes....
Hi.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Re: Computer gurus-Help!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 06:47:22 PM »
take alook at the monitor settings and adjust the screen resolution
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 06:51:18 PM »
yep, as Harold said.

The default display setting is probably not one the old monitor supports.  Try dropping the screen resolution and the refresh rate.  Try setting it to 640X480 resolution, 16 color, and 60 Hertz refresh rate and see if that clears it up.  If it does up the settings one notch at a time from there until it is where you like it.  The refresh rate is a biggy, 60 hertz will probably cause headaches with a CRT monitor so you will want to definitely increase that as much as possible but not so much that the monitor starts to whine.  75 or 85 is a good choice.

To get to the settings right click on a blank area of the desktop and select personalize, then display settings.  That might not be exactly right but it is pretty close, I'm on XP at home and can't remember the exact Vista menus from work.

Er..  it is also possible the monitor just needs adjustment.  Speaking generically monitors have either a series of buttons, dials, or a menu system where you can adjust the picture (width, height, position horizontally and vertically, and etc).  those might be out of whack.  How you get into those settings varies wildly maker to maker and within each maker model to model.  It is not uncommon to have to adjust those when moving monitors between PCs.

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 07:31:46 PM »
I knew you guys would be able to help! I adjusted the screen resolution, and it helped A LOT. I still have a bit of a border, now on the right side, but as soon as I find how to adjust the monitor or get my new monitor, I expect that to fix it. My headache is getting less painful, already...
Thanks, guys!
Hi.

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 09:17:23 PM »
HA! Got my new monitor from the neighbor, Fed-Ex dropped it with them when I was out today. It solved all of the remaining trouble.
The new computer works great, although I already despise Vista.  angry
Thanks again, guys.
Hi.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 09:19:05 PM »
Why didn't you order it with XP?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 09:39:04 PM »
Sorry I came by too late.  Good to hear you got the new machine and monitor working, though.
RE: "upgrade" to XP, give me a shout if you have questions.  Lots of folks are unhappy with Vista.  (I'm not supposed to say that, being a MS Partner and all...)
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 04:15:14 AM »
Sorry I came by too late.  Good to hear you got the new machine and monitor working, though.
RE: "upgrade" to XP, give me a shout if you have questions.  Lots of folks are unhappy with Vista.  (I'm not supposed to say that, being a MS Partner and all...)

Yeah, Vista is a solution looking for a problem.  At our shop (also a partner) we do not recommend Vista yet.  It's too much of a change for the users for no tangible benefit for a small business, plus it runs slower.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 10:38:24 AM »
take alook at the monitor settings and adjust the screen resolution

And refresh rate. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 04:34:10 PM »
I hear Vista is getting better, but I have zero plans to switch to for the foreseeable future.
I run too many old games that already have enough trouble on XP.  Plus, it's too much hassle.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.