Author Topic: I HATE TELECONFERENCES!  (Read 2536 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
I HATE TELECONFERENCES!
« on: August 22, 2005, 08:17:00 AM »
I'm in a teleconference with at least 15 other people!

It's like congress, everyone talks very loud and very fast and no one listens to anyone else!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Paddy

I HATE TELECONFERENCES!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 08:22:30 AM »
Now, now, Mike.  You've got to learn to be one with collective.  Resistance is futile.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
I HATE TELECONFERENCES!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 08:36:55 AM »
When I'm on a telecon, I just hit the mute button and surf APS and THR. Every once in a while I turn off mute and pipe in with a "sounds good" or a "ha ha ha" at somebody's lame joke. No one ever knows the difference. Smiley
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

I HATE TELECONFERENCES!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 09:06:12 AM »
"Now, now, Mike.  You've got to learn to be one with collective.  Resistance is futile."

Coming from you Riley and what you've been through recently, that
1) Cracks me UP!
2) Lets me know you're gonna be totally squared away.

...but you DO owe me for a new keyboard and monitor withOUT coffee spray.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
I HATE TELECONFERENCES!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 11:43:33 AM »
Well, WE like you, Mike!

Maybe if you were nicer to the teleconference, it would be nicer to you?
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
I HATE TELECONFERENCES!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 01:58:14 PM »
"Well, WE like you, Mike!"

Hum, obviously, then, I'm doing something wrong. Smiley
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
I HATE TELECONFERENCES!
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 02:00:45 PM »
Teleconfrences were good.  No one could tell you were sleeping, working, eating, etc.

Teleconfrencing was bad, because all those daytrips they had to take to Texas, or elsewhere in the country on the company jet, before I joined, no longer were done.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Kharn

• friend
I HATE TELECONFERENCES!
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2005, 04:09:39 PM »
One of our weekly telecons is scheduled for an hour and a half, at 1pm, so we're all just getting back from lunch as it starts, and the head guy from the other company is a retired Navy chief that loves to hear himself talk (he could take 5 hours to describe a 5-second drag race).  About half of our team falls asleep during it, I even started snoring once, luckily we were on mute at the time but I havent heard the end of it from my boss and coworkers.  ("If somebody wakes John up, we can make a decision" etc etc)

I have my own telecon the next day, with the same guy (and a few other groups), for "my" project.  I pull a 'Gong Show' on him, he gets ~2 minutes to talk about the subject in question and then I pull the plug with a "Sorry Tom, take it off-line, we have to move on." My telecon is done in 30 minutes every week, and we cover the same amount of information as the other one.  :-D

Kharn

Typhoon

• friend
I HATE TELECONFERENCES!
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2005, 04:41:28 PM »
Quote - I'm in a teleconference with at least 15 other people!

It's like congress, everyone talks very loud and very fast and no one listens to anyone else!

Would you prefer actually sitting in a room with all of them?  I have learned to appreciate the teleconference.
To the stars!

Standing Wolf

• friend
I HATE TELECONFERENCES!
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2005, 05:50:04 PM »
I used to get lots of actual work done during teleconferences: the @#$%^&! telephone never rang.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
I HATE TELECONFERENCES!
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2005, 03:18:23 AM »
One guy here at work teleconferences in from his office. At lot of the meetings he sits in on are just FYI stuff that doesn't require any action from him, just his presence. He plays Call of Duty and the like on his PC. Smiley

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
I HATE TELECONFERENCES!
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2005, 03:32:05 AM »
I've been on airplanes probably about 50 times so far this year, and missed about 100 days at home with my family, because the boneheaded company I work for doesn't believe in telework.

Consider yourself lucky, Mike.

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
I HATE TELECONFERENCES!
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2005, 05:22:37 AM »
Yeah, I get a fair amount of work done during a teleconference.

That's not the point, though.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
I HATE TELECONFERENCES!
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2005, 06:44:21 AM »
Mike:
BT,DT.  Where I work, telecon is not enough.  We must also Webex/MSMeeting/Sametime/etc.  Even if the only thing we share is a .ppt slide with the agenda.

Kharn:
Now THAT is the way telecons & such should be run.  It is not some dorm-room all-nighter where you talk about the meaning of life.  My time is valuable.  I assume others' is, too.  Get to the point, get it done, & get on with DOING not just TALKING.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton