Author Topic: Oregon Offers to Pay to Kill (self) but Not to Treat Cancer Patient  (Read 6580 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Oregon Offers to Pay to Kill (self) but Not to Treat Cancer Patient
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2008, 12:39:04 PM »
read kervorkians book
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2008, 02:24:54 PM »
A college buddy of mine managed to complete the task of offing himself with a .22LR rifle.  He wasn't a gun guy, but sharp enough to figure out how to complete the task given the tools at hand.

I'm sorry to hear that. I shouldn't have gotten technical on this subject.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

mek42

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2008, 02:52:56 PM »
How is this worse than healthcare being totally privatized with no MediCare or MediCaid and the choice being a lingering painful last few time units of life because the treatment is not covered by private insurance and too expensive to be paid out of pocket or a lingering painful last few time units of life because medical (i.e. doctor assisted) suicide is either also not covered or is illegal?

Written out as it is in the article does make the situation sound ghoulishly wrong, but if the desired outcome is for this person to receive publicly funded treatment, how much are we willing to increase our tax burdens by?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2008, 06:33:47 PM »
A college buddy of mine managed to complete the task of offing himself with a .22LR rifle.  He wasn't a gun guy, but sharp enough to figure out how to complete the task given the tools at hand.

I'm sorry to hear that. I shouldn't have gotten technical on this subject.

Feh, get technical if you want.

My reply wasn't a tear-soaked whine or rage at the Heavens*, but supposed to be informative.  No offense or emotional upset on my part.

See, I deleted about 75% of my original post that gave details, on the off chance that any readers might:
1. Own only a .22LR rifle, the poor bastards
and
2. Be in an self-offing mood

Might as well make them work for the answer & hopefully their depression will get the better of them and they'll quit before working it out.

* Insert visual and audio of jfruser's fist pounding on the table followed by jfruser glaring at the Heavens while shouting "WHY!?!?!?!"
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2008, 12:57:20 AM »
It is my view that one should never attempt suicide with a firearm unless one possesses a firearm that is at the very least a centerfire rifle of some kind, or a centerfire pistol, at least 9*19. You must eliminate the chance of the bullet not killing you, but rather leaving you paralyzed, because that would just really, really suck.

I could add more technical details here, but that would be irresponsible.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2008, 01:06:39 AM »
There are whole websites dedicated to how to kill yourself with ease and convenience; I doubt an informed post here will make much difference.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2008, 01:29:43 AM »
It is my view that one should never attempt suicide with a firearm unless one possesses a firearm that is at the very least a centerfire rifle of some kind, or a centerfire pistol, at least 9*19. You must eliminate the chance of the bullet not killing you, but rather leaving you paralyzed, because that would just really, really suck.

I could add more technical details here, but that would be irresponsible.

In the interest of being utterly irresponsible and somewhat comedic in a dark kind of way, I vote for any flavor of 12 gauge pump action, with double-ought-buckshot.

In all seriousness, it must be a horrible thing to want to end one's own life.  sad

I don't think the state should condone it, even if it does make good fiscal sense.

mek42

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2008, 02:58:03 AM »
In all seriousness, it must be a horrible thing to want to end one's own life.  sad

Yeah it sucks.  About the only thing worse is feeling that way and having happy people all around you saying it is bad to feel that way without providing any help in not feeling that way.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2008, 07:42:18 AM »

Yeah it sucks.  About the only thing worse is feeling that way and having happy people all around you saying it is bad to feel that way without providing any help in not feeling that way.

The thing that gets me are the teenagers that have everything to look forward to.  You know, the types who are in varsity sports, have good grades, etc...?  Heck, even if they're failing out they still have plenty of room to turn around.

About the only time I see suicide as being understandable, is when somebody is suffering from a painful, untreatable, and terminal disease.  The '76 year old man, diagnosed six months ago with untreatable, systematic bone cancer'.  Rather than spend hundreds of thousands of dollars more, depriving his family of his estate*, suffering through all that pain and loss of quality of life, he goes with a hospice service that offers all the pain meds he needs(even if at toxic levels) for the last few months.  Some, who even hospice can't help, might chose a more direct method. 

As such, I'm not a good candidate for giving counseling to those who are terminally depressed.  I just don't understand, thus can't propose solutions other than saying 'your life doesn't really suck', or proposing ways to make their life suck less.

*Yes, I know that many familes would rather have grandpa around for another year, but if he's in that much pain, is it really worth it?