Author Topic: Meet a Black Guy  (Read 6063 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Meet a Black Guy
« on: June 07, 2008, 09:00:33 AM »
Corvallis, Oregon

The booths at the Saturday Corvallis Farmers Market have a wild mix of fresh produce, tasty food, plants and flowers.  But this week, a table just outside the bazaar offered something more bizarre  Meet a Black Guy.  Those who participated in the free service could chat with 21-year-old Corvallis resident Jeff Oliver, and get pictures taken with him.

Its a statement about diversity in Corvallis. Its not a very diverse place, said Oliver, a lifelong Oregonian. He hoped to promote understanding, break stereotypes and perhaps even provide a comedic moment for hundreds of people strolling along the riverfront.

Its a clever way of engaging people with dialogue about the need for more diversity in the community. It kind of caught me by surprise, said Annette Mills, who moved to Corvallis more than a year ago.

http://www.gtconnect.com/articles/2008/06/01/news/community/1loc05_blackguy.txt

Now, I like racial diversity, and I'd prefer my neighborhood have people of various backgrounds.  But why the heck do you need diversity?  How would homogeneity in a town be a problem? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: Meet a Black Guy
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 09:03:50 AM »
It may not be a problem, but it can certainly create awkward moments.  I was born and raised in a (still) lily-white town, and the first real black person (other than Sanford on the TV) I saw was at the Milwaukee MEPS station.  I was captivated by a female Navy petty officer, and she caught me staring at her.  I excused myself, and told her she had the most exquisitely beautiful skin, did she do anything special...

I'm sure it creeped her out to no end.   shocked
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 09:06:39 AM »
Same here growing up in MT, besides TV I saw maybe 3 black guys growing up until I went into the Army.  I had some negative preconceptions about black folks based on TV and what I did not expect but should have is that I was right about a certain percentage of the black folks I met.  I was wrong about a larger portion.  On average...  there were about the same percentage of "good" vs "bad" folks in each race I met in the Army.  Each race had the borderline criminals, the lazy, the over achievers, the normal folks, the smart, and the stupid.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 09:19:25 AM »
My up-bringing was similar, if not as extreme.  There were two blacks in my high school class of 230-something. 

But I guess I don't see those "awkward moments" as much of a problem.  Just one of those interesting moments in this weird thing we call life. 

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 09:23:05 AM »
Culture is a much bigger divider than race, IMO
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 12:00:25 PM »
Corvallis is the home of Oregon State University.  Very lefty town.  Not too surprised at this.
Lots of diversity on campus.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 12:44:46 PM »
http://oregon.stateuniversity.com/

282 black folk outa 19 k

yea i bet they feel need to announce their diversity real loud
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 03:11:13 PM »
Wow.  And Texas A&M has taken some heat over the number of minorities.  Much greater minority population than that. 

I graduated high school with a number of black kids.  Most of them lived in town so I didn't see them much.  I guess that is down here though.  I often laugh a bit when northerners accuse southerners of being prejudiced when they have no one around them but their own. 

My experience fits what was said above.  Some fit the stereotypes so well you would think they would be embarrassed.  Most don't and are decent people.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 03:28:25 PM »
Same here growing up in MT, besides TV I saw maybe 3 black guys growing up until I went into the Army.  I had some negative preconceptions about black folks based on TV and what I did not expect but should have is that I was right about a certain percentage of the black folks I met.  I was wrong about a larger portion.  On average...  there were about the same percentage of "good" vs "bad" folks in each race I met in the Army.  Each race had the borderline criminals, the lazy, the over achievers, the normal folks, the smart, and the stupid.

Any trends you might notice towards being shiftless, lazy and good for nothing are generally cultural. I've never seen any evidence that any race is genetically inclined towards being a bunch of shitbags, for lack of a better term. If you drop a white family in the middle of a ghetto their youngun's are likely to grow up to be criminally stupid. If you take a black family and drop them into Beverly Hills all the daughters will inevitably get fourteen breasts implants done before they hit 60. And so on. It's mostly environmental but there are always people who break out of bad environments or get really mad and try to change their environment. Isn't that the reason we have this board and keep coming back? We could have a booth called "meet a gun nut."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 03:53:29 PM »

282 black folk outa 19 k

Driving or walking through that town, I would've sworn the numbers were higher.  I guess I'm just not paying that much attention.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 03:55:00 PM »
It may not be a problem, but it can certainly create awkward moments.  I was born and raised in a (still) lily-white town, and the first real black person (other than Sanford on the TV) I saw was at the Milwaukee MEPS station.  I was captivated by a female Navy petty officer, and she caught me staring at her.  I excused myself, and told her she had the most exquisitely beautiful skin, did she do anything special...

I'm sure it creeped her out to no end.   shocked

Hi, I'm Gewehr98 and I'll be your stalker today.....  cheesy grin
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 07:37:07 PM »

282 black folk outa 19 k

A friend of mine is black and applied to OSU.  You would not *believe* the amount of money they threw at her.  They're so desperate for diversity they're willing to pay big, big bucks for it.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 07:40:30 PM »
i believe it  i worked for mary washington college  arguably amongst the whitest schools in america  and the shout from the roof tops ther openmindedness and diversity. its too funny
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 07:41:31 PM »
Never been one for the idea that diversity is good for diversity's sake, but I'd have to say that I'd probably stop by this cat's booth, however.  Anyone who'd set up a 'Meet a Black Guy' booth in what sounds like a white bread town is probably an interesting conversationalist.  At least worth a few minutes of my time.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 08:14:54 PM »
I was born in Flint, MI, where even in the 1950's the city was very integrated. My grade school was about 50/50 white and black. As I recall, the first girl I kissed was black.

Moving to a lilly-white suburb of Milwaukee was quite an adjustment. There were no blacks whatsoever. In my junior year we had an exchange student from Nigeria. His experience must have been confusing, as he was either fawningly adored or hated.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008, 08:26:57 PM »
Never been one for the idea that diversity is good for diversity's sake, but I'd have to say that I'd probably stop by this cat's booth, however.  Anyone who'd set up a 'Meet a Black Guy' booth in what sounds like a white bread town is probably an interesting conversationalist.  At least worth a few minutes of my time.

I thought that at first.  But I'm starting to think it's more condescending than anything else.  So they live in a mostly-white town.  Does that mean they've never met a Black person before?  But, hey, I don't know the town, so...

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2008, 09:32:07 PM »

I thought that at first.  But I'm starting to think it's more condescending than anything else.  So they live in a mostly-white town.  Does that mean they've never met a Black person before?  But, hey, I don't know the town, so...

My sister went to college there (as did my parents).  Half her friends were either black or latino, it seemed.  I don't think the place is quite as white bread as some are saying, but it isn't diversity land, either.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2008, 11:14:33 PM »
I've run into people who had never met a Jew before, which in many small towns and "hollars" is not unusual.  Their curiousity and astonishment that I look just like them has led to a few amusing moments.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2008, 03:41:27 AM »

Heck, I'd invite him to the super-secret APS board....  grin
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2008, 04:45:06 AM »
No diversity makes raising bigots and ignorants too easy. Witness the "Redneck White Trash and Proud of it" t-shirt I saw yesterday. In 2004(note recent time and upcoming dated term) a realtor up here told my wife "you'll like it here, there's no mosquitoes or coloreds."  Wow.

For entertainment I used to take my wife's grandma to a Wal-mart in Hampton, VA. Not a familiar environment for someone from Minnesota farm country that got their idea of black from Al Roker doing the weather.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2008, 04:53:15 AM »
You're right.  Anyone who's "only idea of Black" is Al Roker is bound to hate them.  I don't know about the rest o' y'all, but that guy really bothers me. 

No diversity makes raising bigots and ignorants too easy.

Seriously, though, I have this theory that country folk from secluded, lily-white enclaves are less likely to be bigots, since we don't get beat up by black kids in childhood, nor do we see "ghetto" neighborhoods.  TV and Hollywood give a more balanced view of Black people than many whites are liable to see in real life. 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2008, 05:00:31 AM »
I've run into people who had never met a Jew before, which in many small towns and "hollars" is not unusual.  Their curiousity and astonishment that I look just like them has led to a few amusing moments.

You sure they're not just shocked at your hideous ugliness?   angel

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2008, 06:05:48 AM »

Actually you don't shyte about "hollars". But as usual it is a generalization on your part. I lived just across the cypress bay from a Jewish family when I was a kid growing up in Columbia county on the border with Ga. They were part of a small community as much as I was. I even went to their place of worship once. Course I might be the exception to the rule. I was raised by a wonderful woman who happened to be black. She loved me same as her kids.

I spent some time in Michigan. Just about the most racist place I ever been too excepting New York. And that is a generalization as well. I am sure there are some fine people in both places. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2008, 06:46:13 AM »
I grew up in a town and went to a school that was totally white.

Across the river, in Harrisburg, blacks referred to our area as "the White Shore."

I went to Dickinson College in the 1980s. 2,200 students, and perhaps a dozen blacks if that many. Far more Asians.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2008, 07:03:05 AM »
In Kindergarten and 1st grade I was one of only five white kids in the whole school.

Only two of us were "normal."  The rest were in the special education courses.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!