Author Topic: Identity Theft???  (Read 1580 times)

Paddy

Identity Theft???
« on: August 27, 2005, 01:12:51 PM »
So I filed an Unemployment Insurance claim about a week ago and today I got a letter from the State Employment Development Department.  "You are receiving this notice because the Department if unable to verify your identity.  The information you provided when you filed you unemployment insurance claim did not match the information available to the Department or the Department received information that indicated your identity may have been compromised."  It then goes on to list acceptable forms of ID to prove I am me.  I checked and they've got my SSN right.  I intend to go to the local office Monday with my driver's license, social security card, check stub, 2004 tax return, and birth certificate.  I'll as them what information they 'received' and where they got it.

In the meantime, I'm wondering if this is a clerical error, or is somebody else using my SSN?  Is it worth the expense to pull my credit reports (I think I can do it online for a fee).  Anyone else have this kind of thing happen???

Telperion

• friend
Identity Theft???
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 03:03:34 PM »
You can get your credit report for free now, once a year.

www.annualcreditreport.com

You may or may not be able to see it online.  I had to mail in my form.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
Identity Theft???
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 03:14:48 PM »
It's possible someone else could be using your SSN.  When we moved to Dallas 6 years ago the local electrical services provider monopoly informed us that my wife's SSN was on an existing account in another name.

It also could be a transposition error as human beings enter data into computers, still.

Hopefully it's a simple mistake. Identity theft is a genuine nightmare.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

P95Carry

Identity Theft???
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 03:23:38 PM »
I try not to be paranoid but - every piece of mail I get has any address and numerical info torn off to be shredded.  Mix-ups do occur but - sdeems these days we have to be careful.

I am amazed at how many folks seem to want your SSN, as if it's their right - which most times it ain't!
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

Paddy

Identity Theft???
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005, 06:30:14 AM »
Thanks for that link Telperion.  I didn't see any odd information on my credit reports.  Incorrect info, yes, but nothing 'suspicious'.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
Identity Theft???
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005, 09:25:25 AM »
Just a reminder, Riley- you can contest that incorrect information and get it removed or corrected by contacting the credit reporting acencies.  It does work, and it DOES help.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

thorn

• friend
Identity Theft???
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2005, 09:51:01 AM »
ive seen it more htan a few times, especially homeless= they stop using their SSN, and eventually try to use it again, to find out someone else has been worknig on their number.

i had a few CC#s taken of my own once too.

if it might be happening to you, i would definitely look into it

Paddy

Identity Theft???
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 09:20:14 AM »
OK. Went to the local EDD office this morning and found out it's standard operating procedure.  I filed my claim online, everything is done by mail, and they routinely verify identities.  So I'll mail them the stuff they want.