Author Topic: Just started stuffing my own smokes  (Read 18886 times)

Dntsycnt

• friend
Re: Just started stuffing my own smokes
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2008, 06:37:22 AM »
Empirical evidence shows cloves to be no more harmful than normal cigarettes.

That being said, smoking anything is a serious trade off of longevity for pleasure.  I occasionally (very rarely) smoke, and when I do it is either a cigar or cloves, because normal cigarettes just taste nasty.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2008, 08:50:10 AM »
Those mini cigar things are just nasty. I can appreciate the aroma of a fine cigar, provided it's being smoked by a nearby guy, and not me, but those little cigars are hideous. 

Friend of mine started stuffing her own about four years ago.  Quit smoking about three years ago.  Coincidence?  I don't think so.

Smoking is pointless, imho, if Marlboro Menthol Lights are not involved.  Accept no substitutes. I've still got my last two (empty) packs sitting in the liquor cabinet, for nostalgia value.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2008, 08:52:49 AM »
I've been rolling my own for about a year now.  Even though I'm only a two-pack-a-week smoker, a buck a pack still beats five and I don't have to go to the store to get them.

I use the Premier SuperMatic.  After some fiddling, experimenting, and getting used to the setup, I can stuff a pack in under ten minutes.  I went together with a friend of mine who's a heavy smoker - couple packs a day.  We figure she's saving over a thousand bucks a year rolling her own.

I've tried a couple different kinds of tobacco, finally settling on Farmer's Gold for everyday smokes.  Aside from smoking better, it seems to have less powdery leftovers.  Southern Cross smokes okay, but you end up throwing away a good 10% (by weight) because of the unstuffable powder at the bottom of the bag. The Farmer's Gold is cut a little more coarse, too, making for more consistent stuffing. 

I use the Premier Light tubes, but only because that's what my local 'baccy store stocks. The Southern Cross tubes are okay, too.  Every so often I'll put in a tiny pinch of pipe tobacco for a more "luxury" smoke.

I was having problems with the tobacco getting dry.  I made a pseudo-humidifier by taking an old pill bottle, drilling tiny holes all over it, and stuffing it with a paper towel.  Moisten the paper towel and drop it in your tobacco before closing the bag.  It keeps mine just right. Makes the smokes a lot milder, too.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2008, 08:58:56 AM »
One piece of unsolicited advice.  I quit smoking last year on my daughter's birthday (pack a day habit).  I've had maybe 5 cigarettes since then.  BP down, gained about 20 pounds, but have since lost it.

There have been times when my resistance to the leaf has been low, but in the news today was a piece of information that will carry my willpower at least until November:

Obama has fallen off the wagon.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2008, 09:02:58 AM »
Is that true? Wow. Talk about a PR thing.

"Is this the image you want for your kids to see? The President, smoking?"

McCain's people need to show photos.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2008, 09:07:43 AM »
Moisten the paper towel and drop it in your tobacco before closing the bag.  It keeps mine just right. Makes the smokes a lot milder, too.

Funny the things people will do to mitigate the harm/deadliness something will cause them.  'Bout as bright as saying, "Yeah, the next time I shoot myself, I'll use my light target loads because they're a lot milder".  rolleyes

Bite me.  I've lost 75 pounds, walk three miles a day, and eat better than I ever have in my life.  My cholesterol is normal, my blood glucose is normal, and I am, by my Dr's observation, the picture of health.  She doesn't care for the smoking, but since it's my last vice (other than ogling women...  grin ) and I'm a light smoker, she only chides me a little about it.

I'm sure we could find a few things to "counsel" you about, Captain Mommy, so take your high horse and stick it in your ear.  

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2008, 09:11:04 AM »
Bite me.  I'm sure we could find a few things to "counsel" you about, Captain Mommy, so take your high horse and stick it in your ear. 

Brad

Hmmm, how POLITE this Armed Polite Society is.  rolleyes

Hey, it happens when you only have a couple of posts and are already being an officious, pretentious, pontificating jerk.

If you want to be a part of the going's-on around here, I'd suggest dialing back the smug factor a bit.

Brad
-HankB

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2008, 10:22:25 AM »
Many, many, many moons ago when I was knee-high to a grasshopper, my grandfather had a cigarette rolling machine.  He showed a couple of us grandkids how to operate it and it was really cool the way it worked.  (Kinda of like a progressive reloader only horizontal instead of vertical, IIRC.) 

Now Grandpa didn't smoke much, in fact hardly at all.  He smoked cigarettes like most people smoke pipes, rarely and then only when he had some "thinkin' " to do.

Anywho, since we were shown how to roll cigarettes by grandpa it was "OKAY TO DO".  So one time we got the machine out of the hall closet and the box with all the fixin's in it and proceeded to take turns and make cigarettes. 

Man did we make cigarettes, probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 500-1000.

Grandma caught us and dragged Grandpa in to see what we had done.......

"I'll never smoke that many in 100 years !!" he said.  Grandma was trying hard not to laugh, because we were sooooo proud of what we had done for Grandpa.

No punishment was handed down, but Grandpa was real careful about what he showed us from then on. 

Speaking of Pipe Smoking......
Now in college, I had a roommate who decided to take up pipe smoking.   Just to be cool, pretenious, and act superior.  So I took several rubber bands, cut them up into very small pieces and mixed them in with his tobacco. 

Me: "Man, I normally like the smell of pipe smoke, but that really smells like sh!t." 

Him: "Yeah, it doesn't taste to good either." (as he turns green)

Me:  "Maybe you should try a different brand of tobacco ?"

Him:  "Yeah, I'll get some tomorrow."

I repeated the chopped up rubber band in the tobacco trick each time he changed tobacco brands.

Me: "This one smells worse then the others you've tried.  What brand is this ??  'Soiled Underwear'  or 'Locker Room Sweatsocks' ?? "  grin

Him:  "Yeah this is pretty bad, I think I'll just give up smoking a pipe."

Me:  "Sorry to hear that, and this after all you've invested in those tweed jackets with the elbow patches."
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2008, 10:29:33 AM »
Now in college, I had a roomate who decide to take up pipe smoking.   Just to be cool, pretenious, and act superior.  So I took several rubber bands, cut them up into very small pieces and mixed them in with his tobacco.

Yeah, nothing more healthy than inhaling burning rubber, right?  Yourself included from second hand smoke.  rolleyes

Yep, all those NHRA drivers, crews and mechanics just dropping like flies after each 1/4 mile run......Oh The Humanity !!!! rolleyes

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2008, 10:34:18 AM »
Now in college, I had a roomate who decide to take up pipe smoking.   Just to be cool, pretenious, and act superior.  So I took several rubber bands, cut them up into very small pieces and mixed them in with his tobacco.

Yeah, nothing more healthy than inhaling burning rubber, right?  Yourself included from second hand smoke.  rolleyes

You - new member with 40-ish posts

Scout26 - longtime member with almost 900 posts

I will reiterate from an earlier post...

Quote from: Brad Johnson
Hey, it happens when you only have a couple of posts and are already being an officious, pretentious, pontificating jerk.

Now, would you like to keep digging or are you going to turn the Smug-O-Matic down to a more tolerable level?

Brad
-HankB

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2008, 10:46:15 AM »
Brad--thanks for the tip about the pill bottle.  A friend had given me the paper towel idea, but I really didn't like the thought of having anything wet get direct contact with my tobacco, even it was already wrung out.

I think I'm going to switch to the Premier FF's for my next order.  The Vera Cruz's I bought (Midnight, the all-black ones) have a faint bitter taste that's bothering me.

And, thanks for staying on topic.  I knew a post about anything smoking related (well, except for cigars, everyone here gives them a pass) was going to have all the usual replies.  Glad someone had something useful to add to the mix.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2008, 11:01:29 AM »
rolling our own would probably be smart, especially considering that i smoke about a pack and a half a day and dad (no, i am not sh**ing you) smokes about 6 packs a day. but i figure the more expensive it gets the more we'll be tempted to quit. and we both need to quit badly.

luckly (or unluckly, as the case may be) the highest around here for Marlboro Reds (which is my favorite) is $4.20 a pack.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2008, 11:21:45 AM »
I am kinda curious how many you'd need to smoke per hour to get to 6 packs a day. Seems like a fairly herculean feat.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2008, 11:25:03 AM »
I am kinda curious how many you'd need to smoke per hour to get to 6 packs a day. Seems like a fairly herculean feat.

Five.  Hence my "one cigarette every 12 minutes" comment.  20 cigs in a pack X 6 = 120 per day.  120 cigs / 24 hrs = five cigs an hour.  Yikes!

If he stays up for 24 hours a day...... rolleyes

I am in fact capable of basic math, tho thanks for presuming I'm an idiot. I was more concerned with how many he actually smokes, in the hours he's actually awake. Unless her father is one of those smoking monkey dolls from the Simpsons.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2008, 11:27:24 AM »
I used to work in a residential home.  We had a resident that liked to smoke.  We had to dole out his smokes or he would go through them too quickly.

We had a new staff member and he asked for his smokes.  I was in the middle of cooking dinner for the house and asked her to go and give him a box...

She went to the locked closet, went to hand him a box.  He told her that I meant to give him the box, meaning the whole carton.

She didn't know any better and did.

He lit one, then lit the remainer of the carton off of that original smoke.

He went through the entire carton in somewhere between 20-30 minutes.

Yes, that's 200 smokes.
One day at a time.

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2008, 11:27:38 AM »
rolling our own would probably be smart, especially considering that i smoke about a pack and a half a day and dad (no, i am not sh**ing you) smokes about 6 packs a day. but i figure the more expensive it gets the more we'll be tempted to quit. and we both need to quit badly.

luckly (or unluckly, as the case may be) the highest around here for Marlboro Reds (which is my favorite) is $4.20 a pack.

Well, some people (like BirdgeWalker's friend) do end up quitting thanks to stuffing their own.  Course, just as often it goes the other way, where you smoke more just because there's always a giant bag (or two, or three) of tobacco at your house.

With your dad, though, 6 packs a day, wow.  At the rate Brad or I stuff, that'd mean he'd be sitting down at the table for at least an hour a day stuffing packs.  Sitting there doing it himself might drive home the fact that he's smoking a ton of tobacco.  Especially when he buys that first giant bag and sees it doesn't even last half a week.  And the savings would be insane--at 4.20 vs 1.66, he's saving $2.54 a pack, or $15.24 a *day*.  In just the first month he'd save over $450, or almost $5,500 a year.  That's more than a car note, or a gun a month.

Just curious.  Do "rollers" use some sort of a filter attachment or is the "pure" tobacco better because it doesn't have all the additives of commercial cigs?  Still have the tar issue, though.
There's two different things being discussed here.  Rolling uses rolling papers, and whether or not you add a filter is up to you.  The tobacco is better because it's additive free, but the thought of smoking without a filter makes me cringe.  Almost all tubes have filters of varying strengths--the tubes I use are roughly equivalent to the filters that Marlboro Milds use.  There are also FF tubes (Marlboro Reds) and Light tubes.  On the other end of the spectrum are "filterless" tubes which just have a tar guard that filters out the tar and keeps the tobacco from falling in your mouth.  Athey makes one, not sure who else.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2008, 11:30:20 AM »
dad drives all day long at work, and he chain smokes. at home, when he's relaxing, he reads, and chain smokes. when he's reloading mags, he smokes.

now, part of the reason for the excess smoking is because his life lets him get away with it. secondly, he (like many recovered alcoholics) sorta switched over his addiction, and then never really quit the second addiction.

funny thing, when he got cancer, it wasn't from the smoking. he got an inner ocular melonoma. sun cancer. go figure.  rolleyes

he's also in pretty good shape despite the smoking. he's 5' 6", built like a bulldog, always takes the stairs and walks our one dog everynight (and walks up the steepest hill in the naighborhood) without getting out of breath or breaking a sweat.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2008, 11:31:33 AM »
Brad--thanks for the tip about the pill bottle.  A friend had given me the paper towel idea, but I really didn't like the thought of having anything wet get direct contact with my tobacco, even it was already wrung out.

You will have to wash it occasionally.  It will still get a little fuzzy after a while.  No biggie though.  A quick swipe with some mild detergent and you're good to go all over again.  Figure every month or two.

Brad
-HankB

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2008, 04:26:16 PM »
Wow, I bet he didn't see the ban stick coming until it hit right between the eyes......

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2008, 04:35:28 PM »
Wow, I bet he didn't see the ban stick coming until it hit right between the eyes......
Huh?

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2008, 04:37:14 PM »
The tobacco is better because it's additive free, but the thought of smoking without a filter makes me cringe. 
Why is smoking cigarettes without a filter so bad?  I smoke cigars without a filter and can't imagine doing it any other way.  This may be a stupid question, but having never really smoked cigarettes, I just don't get it. 

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2008, 04:41:12 PM »
The tobacco is better because it's additive free, but the thought of smoking without a filter makes me cringe. 
Why is smoking cigarettes without a filter so bad?  I smoke cigars without a filter and can't imagine doing it any other way.  This may be a stupid question, but having never really smoked cigarettes, I just don't get it. 
Most folks don't inhale cigar smoke.  They bring it into their mouths and exhale.  Cigarette smoke is taken into the lungs.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2008, 04:48:15 PM »
Huh?

If you read through the whole thread you'll see quotes from posts that don't exist......

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2008, 04:49:02 PM »

Who you talkin' 'bout?  angel

Chris

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2008, 06:28:22 PM »
Nonsmoker, here.

No, I didn't chime in to browbeat y'all with my less-smokier-than-thou habits*.

I recall my grandpa rolling his own.  I was always fascinated.  He used plain little cig papers, no glues.  He would use thumb, index, & middle finger of one hand to make a trough with the paper and shake a little Prince Albert canned tobacco into the paper.  He would then lick the one edge and join them. 

He would work at his work bench in the garage or in the garden, whistling some old tune, smoking that little cig.

I really miss the man.  I'd give anything to have him back and he could smoke wherever he damn well pleased.

*  But, I can if you want.  I have very reasonable browbeating rates.  Nothing kinky, though.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton