Author Topic: Airguns?  (Read 6189 times)

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
Airguns?
« on: June 11, 2008, 07:55:07 AM »
I'm thinking of buying an airgun to practice indoors in the winter.

Does anyone have any input?
One day at a time.

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Airguns?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 07:57:36 AM »
Gamo or Tech Force are good beginner guns.  Even good enough for competition with a little tuning.

Chris

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 08:00:24 AM »
I'm thinking an Gamo Big Cat 1200.....

One day at a time.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 08:04:16 AM »
If you want to practice handgun shooting, SIG makes some excellent ones, including an all-metal 226 that has all the controls of the real one.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 08:05:18 AM »
Someone that I knew at one point suggested either the Beeman R-7 or the R-9?
One day at a time.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 08:13:22 AM »
I'm thinking of buying an airgun to practice indoors in the winter.

Does anyone have any input?
I've got a Gamo hunter (1k fps) and a smaller one for my daughter (450fps).  Both are quite accurate.  With a cheapie .22 scope, the hunter is quite accurate.  The 450fps model comes with fiberoptic truglo sights, which are great.  For the price, I have no problems recommending either.

If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 08:17:54 AM »
Make sure your wife won't get freaked out. Smiley

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=12610.0
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 08:21:08 AM »
Several years ago I bought one of the surplus Chinese guns.

I didn't expect much for the money, but I was shocked at the quality and accuracy that I got.

It's more accurate than most RWS air guns I've used over the years.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 08:21:25 AM »
I wish I could justify getting a Benjamin Discovery: http://www.compasseco.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1406

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 08:25:54 AM »
this is the one to get

Best damn air pistol ever! 
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 08:31:13 AM »
I think I'm going to look for something in a blue laminated stock- I wonder if anyone makes anything in a special edition?

Nah, probably be ugly anyway....
One day at a time.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 08:34:13 AM »
Anyone know where I can buy 1,000 CO2 cartridges?

I think that this would definately be the way two go.
One day at a time.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 09:00:52 AM »

They're going to think you're doing whippets. (inhaling C02 gas from a cartridge/balloon to induce hypoxia...druggie kids do it.)

I don't even think you can order 1000 at a time without DEA eying you closely now, because of that.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 09:05:01 AM »

They're going to think you're doing whippets. (inhaling C02 gas from a cartridge/balloon to induce hypoxia...druggie kids do it.)

I don't even think you can order 1000 at a time without DEA eying you closely now, because of that.

Most of them (the more intelligent ones) use Nitrous Oxide designed for whip cream makers, IIRC.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 09:20:34 AM »

I couldn't imagine "huffing" CO2 from those little silver airgun cartridges.  Those things are under some serious pressure, which would be instantaneously lost the second the nipple was punctured.  shocked

They put them in a whipped cream thing.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 09:23:29 AM »
Um. Actually, that's exactly what they use in whipped cream makers. The whipped cream maker has a limiter valve. That's how it works. Just like an airgun doesn't dump the whole cartridge at once.

If I saw this in a dorm room, I knew they weren't using it for delicious desserts.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 09:30:06 AM »
I see.  Someone mentioned NO2 aka "laughing gas".  I don't see how someone can get "high" snorting plain CO2 so maybe it is NO2 in the whipped cream cannisters (the ones from the store like Redi-Whip and not the custom one in your picture).  All I could see is them passing out due to lack of oxygen, which doesn't seem "fun".

Hypoxia from inhaling C02 instead of oxygen. They get lightheaded and dizzy and silly as a sort of high.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 09:51:55 AM »
its not co 2 they huff but nitrous  you buy it in same kinda cylinder in head shops or online  you could use em in a gun too i guess. there are lil gadgets that let you release gas into a balloon and huff it

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2008, 09:54:44 AM »
its not co 2 they huff but nitrous  you buy it in same kinda cylinder in head shops or online  you could use em in a gun too i guess. there are lil gadgets that let you release gas into a balloon and huff it

No, they do CO2 as well. Google it.

• friends
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2008, 09:57:12 AM »
http://www.whipcreamwholesale.com/main.sc?gclid=CJ36g_iI7ZMCFQqFGgodDDznVw

see the 899 kit on the bootom

as nick put it the smart ones do nitrous  i suppose someone has done co 2 somewhere....
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2008, 10:00:54 AM »
*sigh*

Look. I went to college, I went to a lot of raves and such.

Trust me. People did nitrous, they also inhaled CO2 for the hypoxia. This is something that's been going on since the early 90's. I've seen it firsthand. smiley

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2008, 11:55:22 AM »
Retards before or after they huffed the paint?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2008, 11:57:07 AM »
definitely after

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2008, 05:27:41 PM »
From an earlier thread I started before it got out of control...

I picked up a new air rifle a few weeks ago. It's a .177 caliber Gamo Big Cat 1200. It's a nice low cost spring piston air rifle. I picked it up at Mills Fleet Farm (one of my favorite stores, I may add!) for $119.00 with a nice 4x scope. A friend of mine has a Gamo Hunter with a nice wood stock, but I figure that it's not worth the extra cost. The Big Cat 1200 has a decent plastic stock that works for me.

This thing is awesome. It's super accurate. Many times you can put pellets through the same hole. It took less than 10 shots to zero, and this thing is a shooter. I don't have a chrony, but according to Gamo you can get 1200 fps with their lightweight alloy pellets and 1000 fps with regular lead pellets. I use their regular lead flathead match pellets which are much cheaper. I have a Crosman 2100 Classic which is good, but I get tired of pumping and pumping pneumatic airguns.

I think these spring piston air rifles are good practice for shooting. It's illegal in my city to use an air rifle outside, so I setup a range in my basement. You can get a decent low end air rifle for around $100.00. Even though the cost of lead pellets have gone up quite a bit over the last few years, they are still very cheap to shoot. There are a wide variety of pellets available, from pointed hunting pellets to hollow point hunting pellets to flathead wadcutter target pellets. I recommend a spring piston air rifle as a cheaper substitute for real guns and ammo. I don't know if I would shoot a deer or a hog with this air rifle, but it would work on squirrels, crows, rabbits, and other smaller game. Get one and start shooting more at a cheap price. It's great fun and great practice. You got to get one. 

Here's a bunch of reviews I found. Pyramydair.com is a good place for airguns and info.

http://www.pyramydair.com/p/gamo-big-cat-1200-air-rifle.shtml

http://reviews.basspro.com/2010/95094/reviews.htm

I have been in the market for a spring piston air rifle for some time. I actually did quite a bit of research on air rifles. I guess I'm really a tightwad at heart, so I just couldn't justify spending more than $200.00 for a air rifle. There are some very nice ones out there; I just can't justify spending hundreds and hundreds of hard earned dollars for one.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2008, 05:49:04 PM »
From an earlier thread I started before it got out of control...

I picked up a new air rifle a few weeks ago. It's a .177 caliber Gamo Big Cat 1200. It's a nice low cost spring piston air rifle. I picked it up at Mills Fleet Farm (one of my favorite stores, I may add!) for $119.00 with a nice 4x scope. A friend of mine has a Gamo Hunter with a nice wood stock, but I figure that it's not worth the extra cost. The Big Cat 1200 has a decent plastic stock that works for me.

This thing is awesome. It's super accurate. Many times you can put pellets through the same hole. It took less than 10 shots to zero, and this thing is a shooter. I don't have a chrony, but according to Gamo you can get 1200 fps with their lightweight alloy pellets and 1000 fps with regular lead pellets. I use their regular lead flathead match pellets which are much cheaper. I have a Crosman 2100 Classic which is good, but I get tired of pumping and pumping pneumatic airguns.

I think these spring piston air rifles are good practice for shooting. It's illegal in my city to use an air rifle outside, so I setup a range in my basement. You can get a decent low end air rifle for around $100.00. Even though the cost of lead pellets have gone up quite a bit over the last few years, they are still very cheap to shoot. There are a wide variety of pellets available, from pointed hunting pellets to hollow point hunting pellets to flathead wadcutter target pellets. I recommend a spring piston air rifle as a cheaper substitute for real guns and ammo. I don't know if I would shoot a deer or a hog with this air rifle, but it would work on squirrels, crows, rabbits, and other smaller game. Get one and start shooting more at a cheap price. It's great fun and great practice. You got to get one. 

Here's a bunch of reviews I found. Pyramydair.com is a good place for airguns and info.

http://www.pyramydair.com/p/gamo-big-cat-1200-air-rifle.shtml

http://reviews.basspro.com/2010/95094/reviews.htm

I have been in the market for a spring piston air rifle for some time. I actually did quite a bit of research on air rifles. I guess I'm really a tightwad at heart, so I just couldn't justify spending more than $200.00 for a air rifle. There are some very nice ones out there; I just can't justify spending hundreds and hundreds of hard earned dollars for one.

Heh.  I read the old thread and wondered if this one was started as bait. Wink  Does the Big Cat have fiber optic open sights? 
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com