Author Topic: You know those resin fake RPGs Sportsman's Guide sells?  (Read 6581 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
You know those resin fake RPGs Sportsman's Guide sells?
« on: June 12, 2008, 10:03:48 AM »
Apparently, now you can get real charges for a fake weapon? "possession of a hoax weapon of mass destruction" is a charge?

Man charged with possession of fake rocket launcher

LAKELAND, Fla. (AP) -- A Lakeland man has been arrested after authorities say he had a fake rocket launcher and a fake rocket projectile among his weapons arsenal.

The Polk County Sheriff's Office says Hiram Angus Melvin was charged Wednesday with possession of a hoax weapon of mass destruction, two other weapons charges and a violation of probation.

Detetectives say they found the device with a military shipping tube, a rifle and a silencer in the trunk of his car, and that Melvin admitted the weapons were his. It was not immediately clear if he had an attorney.

The State Fire Marshal's Office, Tampa Bomb Squad and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives are assisting in the investigation.

Why wasn't it a simulated arrest, then?

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FL_FAKE_ROCKET_LAUNCHER_FLOL-?SITE=FLPET&SECTION=HOME

Also: "a military shipping tube" ... I am going to guess that was an empty LAW tube or a mortar container. Shipping tube? cheesy

Standing Wolf

• friend
Re: You know those resin fake RPGs Sportsman's Guide sells?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 10:05:48 AM »
The State Fire Marshal's Office, Tampa Bomb Squad and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives are assisting in the investigation.

The Keystone cops are on their way. All will be well as soon as the adult supervision shows up.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 12:45:49 PM »
I better hide my fake Fat Man.  Cheesy
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 12:48:47 PM »
RPG? weapon of mass distruction?

i thought WMDs were stuff like dirty bombs and nukes. stuff that destroys an entire city with a press of a button.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

PTK

• friends
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 12:51:19 PM »
If that silencer is registered and everything was legal, BOY are they setting themselves up for a lawsuit...
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

mek42

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 04:34:40 PM »

i thought WMDs were stuff like dirty bombs and nukes. stuff that destroys an entire city with a press of a button.

No doubt.  We need to start nuking people all over now, since we do not differentiate between the various types of WMDs.

Explosives are conventional warfare weapons.  Grrr...

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 06:30:11 PM »
Aw crap!

*stuffs "Little Boy" mock up into back of closet*

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 08:55:19 PM »
What was he on probation for?  That could be the biggest challenge for him.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 10:29:53 PM »

No doubt.  We need to start nuking people all over now, since we do not differentiate between the various types of WMDs.

Explosives are conventional warfare weapons.  Grrr...

Maybe it was an imitation of those chemical-warhead RPG's?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 12:31:45 AM »
Makes you rethink the guided missile balloon thing.  sad
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 01:50:28 AM »
Guess I shouldn't have ordered one of those free "Surplus Iranian Party Favors" catalogs from the Internet.....  undecided
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 02:36:23 AM »
If my paintball team is ever pulled over on the way to a 26 hour scenario, I hope one of our LEO members is in the van.

We usually travel with some interesting toys:

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 03:01:46 AM »
90.166 Florida Statutes (enacted in 2000)

Manufacture, possession, sale, delivery, display, use, or attempted or threatened use of a weapon of mass destruction or hoax weapon of mass destruction prohibited; definitions; penalties.

(1) As used in this section, the term:

(a) "Weapon of mass destruction" means:

1. Any device or object that is designed or intended to cause death or serious bodily injury through the release, dissemination, or impact of toxic or poisonous chemicals, or their precursors;

2. Any device or object involving a disease organism; or

3. Any device or object that is designed to release radiation or radioactivity at a level dangerous to human life.

(b) "Hoax weapon of mass destruction" means any device or object that by its design, construction, content, or characteristics appears to be or to contain, or is represented to be, constitute, or contain, a weapon of mass destruction as defined in this section, but which is, in fact, an inoperative facsimile, imitation, counterfeit, or representation of a weapon of mass destruction which does not meet the definition of a weapon of mass destruction or which does not actually contain or constitute a weapon, biological agent, toxin, vector, or delivery system prohibited by this section.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 04:09:29 AM »
90.166 Florida Statutes (enacted in 2000)

Manufacture, possession, sale, delivery, display, use, or attempted or threatened use of a weapon of mass destruction or hoax weapon of mass destruction prohibited; definitions; penalties.

(1) As used in this section, the term:

(a) "Weapon of mass destruction" means:

1. Any device or object that is designed or intended to cause death or serious bodily injury through the release, dissemination, or impact of toxic or poisonous chemicals, or their precursors;

2. Any device or object involving a disease organism; or

3. Any device or object that is designed to release radiation or radioactivity at a level dangerous to human life.

(b) "Hoax weapon of mass destruction" means any device or object that by its design, construction, content, or characteristics appears to be or to contain, or is represented to be, constitute, or contain, a weapon of mass destruction as defined in this section, but which is, in fact, an inoperative facsimile, imitation, counterfeit, or representation of a weapon of mass destruction which does not meet the definition of a weapon of mass destruction or which does not actually contain or constitute a weapon, biological agent, toxin, vector, or delivery system prohibited by this section.

Wow. So the fake nuclear bomb I made for a play in high school would now be a crime. *thumbsup* rolleyes

Dope

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 04:09:46 AM »
If my paintball team is ever pulled over on the way to a 26 hour scenario, I hope one of our LEO members is in the van.

We usually travel with some interesting toys:
*snip*

Sweet, WoW fans eh? Thank god you're not on the alliance side too.

DBD = Dead By Dawn?

Dope

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2008, 04:13:32 AM »
So by that definition, the RPG is NOT a WMD. 

Sounds like a stupid way of trying to say you can't yell fire in a crowded theater.  That law could have been written better to cover privately displayed fakes.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2008, 06:16:56 AM »
What's next? Virtual WMD's...  angry

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2008, 08:16:11 AM »
What's next? Virtual WMD's...  angry

[John Lennon voice] Visualize world destruction, my children.... [/John Lennon voice]
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2008, 10:42:03 AM »
Unless he stenciled a radiation trefoil on it.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2008, 10:48:05 AM »
Apparently, now you can get real charges for a fake weapon? "possession of a hoax weapon of mass destruction" is a charge?

That's up there with the 5 goofiest things I've ever heard of.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2008, 01:40:10 PM »

well...

I guess i better keep my nose clean when i am in FL

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2008, 01:52:23 PM »

That would open up a whole new can of worms with respect to laws, and those guys don't have a sense of humor.   sad
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"