Author Topic: Now it's "eat a big breakfast to lose weight"...  (Read 6468 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Now it's "eat a big breakfast to lose weight"...
« on: June 19, 2008, 04:39:36 AM »
Diet fad of the month. I thought this only applied to people who work hard, physically, all day...  cheesy

Study: Big, Carb-Heavy Breakfast Key to Weight Loss

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

FC5
ADVERTISEMENT

Eating a big breakfast, heavy in carbs, is the key to keeping slim, according to new research.

A new study found that women who eat half of their daily calories first thing in the morning lose more weight in the long term than those who start the day with a small breakfast.

And they are also less likely to pile the pounds back on.

Dr. Daniela Jakubowicz, from the Hospital de Clinicas in Caracas, Venezuela, who led the study, said: "A very low carbohydrate diet exacerbates the craving for carbohydrates and slows metabolism. After a short period of weight loss, there is a quick return to obesity."

It is thought that eating a meal packed with protein and carbohydrates helps cut cravings for sweet or starchy foods, and boosts the metabolism.

Scientists compared the "big breakfast" diet with a strict low-carb weight-loss regime.

Jakubowicz and a team at Virginia Commonwealth University studied 94 obese, inactive women and found that low-carb dieters initially lost more weight.

The strict low-carb diet caused an average weight loss of 28 pounds; the big-breakfast version cut 23 pounds.

However, after eight months, the strict dieters had regained 18 pounds. The big-breakfast eaters continued to drop weight, losing another 16.5 pounds.

Those on the big breakfast diet lost more than 21 percent of their body weight, compared with just 4.5 percent for the low-carb group.

Women who ate a big breakfast reported feeling less hungry, especially before lunch and had fewer cravings for carbs than the other women did. The big breakfast dieters ate an average of 1,240 calories per day, 610 of which were consumed at breakfast. The low-carb dieters ate just 1,085 calories per day.

The findings will be presented this week at ENDO 08, the 90th annual meeting of The Endocrine Society in San Francisco.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,368462,00.html

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Now it's "eat a big breakfast to lose weight"...
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 04:40:59 AM »
I suspect this will be widely adopted, as an excuse for fat people to munch on happily, while claiming to be on a diet, of course.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 05:06:39 AM »
I used to get DOT physicals from a certificate factory quack who touted the "Truckers' Diet,"  no caloric intake after noon, which is not too dissimilar.  Actually, it's identical if you get half your calories at breakfast and the other half at an early lunch.  Hmmmmm, prohibiting calorie intake for three fourths of the day-who'da thunk it?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 05:11:18 AM »
I used to get DOT physicals from a certificate factory quack who touted the "Truckers' Diet,"  no caloric intake after noon, which is not too dissimilar.  Actually, it's identical if you get half your calories at breakfast and the other half at an early lunch.  Hmmmmm, prohibiting calorie intake for three fourths of the day-who'da thunk it?

Er.

How many slender truckers do you see?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 05:11:59 AM »
Mu unscientific studies show that if I eat more fat and carbs in the morning, I have less desire for fat and carbs throughout the day.  Makes sense to me.  It also gives my body a chance to burn that food during the day, as opposed to sleeping on it at night.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 05:13:38 AM »
Not particularly surprising.

Doctors and Scientists have for years been telling people to eat a good hearty breakfast, with each meal being smaller and lighter.

The body is most metabolically active in the early parts of the day and does a slow glide down the later it gets.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 05:14:17 AM »
"How many slender truckers do you see?"

A lot.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 05:18:03 AM »
As regards breakfast, it is known that eating breakfast as opposed to skipping it is better for making the metabolism go, yes.

The problem is that most people need to leave so early to commute that a "full breakfast" is absolutely out of the question to cook at home, especially with all members of the family leaving in the morning.

And it seems like less and less restaurants have breakfast, even. If they're even open. Most have focused on quick lunches and extremely large and heavy dinners.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 05:19:01 AM »
Well I was going to go eat a pack of nabs but now I'm going to go all out.
My boss pays for breakfast and lunch, and I will attack him with these findings.
BWAHAHA
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 08:53:06 AM »
I used to get DOT physicals from a certificate factory quack who touted the "Truckers' Diet,"  no caloric intake after noon, which is not too dissimilar.

"Breath on this mirror and sign here." Met a few of those in my truck driving career too.

Er.

How many slender truckers do you see?

Actually, there are a lot, as Mike said. While it is true more truckers do tend to be overweight, due to the fact the lifestyle is conducive to gaining weight. The more you work, the less exercise you get and the more often you eat.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 09:42:04 AM »
Heck, I'm living proof of it.  I eat about half my daily caloric intake at breakfast.  A light lunch, maybe an afternoon snack, and that's it for the day.

75 lbs and counting.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

crt360

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 10:04:42 AM »
The big breakfast dieters ate an average of 1,240 calories per day, 610 of which were consumed at breakfast.

610 calories?  Big breakfast, my ass.  What's that, a couple of small blueberry muffins and a glass of orange juice?
For entertainment purposes only.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 10:06:27 AM »
That's not a big breakfast, but it is a significant portion of their entire intake for that day.

Chris

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 10:10:31 AM »
It's funny- I was thinking about this the other day.

When we had the time, my Wife and I would go out for breakfast on a Saturday or Sunday morning.  We'd spluge, and we would EAT.  I mean EAT.

Funny thing- we would then run around all day doing this or that.  We'd eat a light lunch, and usually little to nothing for dinner....

Interesting....
One day at a time.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 10:41:41 AM »
I've always eaten a big breakfast, medium lunch if any, and very light evening meal. I weigh the same weight now I wrestled at in college almost 45 years ago. I don't like big eats in the evening because it seems to make me sleep restlessly.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Iain

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 11:48:24 AM »
I don't like big eats in the evening because it seems to make me sleep restlessly.

TC

Eating at night is about what you eat. I eat a protein/fat meal about an hour before I go to bed.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 11:52:07 AM »
Forget when they ate it, 1,240 calories a day is pretty low. The whole big breakfast helps with weight loss thing is true, but such a low caloric intake would most likely have resulted in weight loss in any case.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 01:15:38 PM »
Heck, I'm living proof of it.  I eat about half my daily caloric intake at breakfast.  A light lunch, maybe an afternoon snack, and that's it for the day.

75 lbs and counting.

Brad

How do you keep from being ravenous about 10 PM?
Zeke

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2008, 01:16:51 PM »

75 lbs and counting.

Brad

If you're male and have got a wife or girlfriend, you ought to have your mind on other things at around 10pm. grin

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 02:10:38 PM »
Sleep? 

Got one kid and one on the way, I want sleep at 10pm most days. Smiley

Chris

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2008, 02:16:24 PM »

You don't.

It's not that I don't feel hungry.  I just choose not to eat.  Plenty of water and a dash of willpower.  It helps that I do my workout at that time. 

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 03:09:34 PM »
To quote Opus:

"Eat Less and Exercise ?!?!?! Too radical.  I'm sticking with the Froglegs and Flatulence Diet."   rolleyes grin
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2008, 04:25:44 PM »

You don't.

It's not that I don't feel hungry.  I just choose not to eat.  Plenty of water and a dash of willpower.  It helps that I do my workout at that time. 

Brad

If I exercised at that hour, I'd be up until 1 AM.

Damn.
Zeke

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2008, 12:13:27 PM »
We find that when we eat a big HEALTHY breakfast, it keeps us going the entire day.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2008, 03:51:39 PM »
People today eat backwards.....your biggest meal should be breakfast and your smallest should be dinner/supper.....you need the calories at the beginning of the day, not the end.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.