Author Topic: Quick rants...  (Read 15234 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Quick rants...
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2008, 07:07:09 AM »
The only smoke that's not unpleasant in public is pipe smoke when it's good tobacco. That always smells like there should be a general store in front of you and a riverboat going by or something.

I also wonder at why so many smokers are slobs that think the world is their ashtray, to toss the butts anywhere and everywhere.

Ever have some moron flip their cigarette out a car window at highway speeds, so it hits the front of your car in a spray of sparks? That always tends to make me wish I had Bond-style missiles installed in my vehicle.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2008, 07:16:43 AM »
"Seriously, I don't want you blowing your smoke in my face."

Hold your breath, whiny liberal.

Since you smokers can't hold yours....
 grin
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2008, 07:21:09 AM »
Yeah, seeing smokers throwing cigarette butts out the window is very crappy.  Also, walking by a smoking area and seeing hundreds of cigarette butts laying on the ground right next to the ash tray/trash can.  I don't mind smoking at all, but clean up after yourself.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2008, 07:27:12 AM »
Its a special pet peeve of mine.  When I was a young private I often had to pick the effin things up.  Then to watch some Sgt or Officer smoking and tossing them where they please.....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2008, 08:31:00 AM »
I've only ever met two polite smokers, one who at moved to the other side of a table when he found out I was allergic to smoke, and my uncle who always asks if it's bothering me.
Everyone else, even family, are total farking jerks about it.

Now, I understand that if you are say, sitting at a park bench and you lite one up, I don't have the right to come up, sit down, and ask you to leave...but if we're already both there can you guys at least ask if it's ok?  Heck if you do that I'll say "sure" anyway.

It's smoke, smoke is bad for you...why do you always act like it wont hurt us second hand? Sad
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2008, 08:48:48 AM »
Its a special pet peeve of mine.  When I was a young private I often had to pick the effin things up.  Then to watch some Sgt or Officer smoking and tossing them where they please.....

And whose fault was it for joining the Army?

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2008, 09:09:17 AM »
Smokers who butt out on the ground or in the stream = Litterbugs.

And I'm not talking about a beer can in the bed of the truck catching wind and ending up in the ditch litterbug;

They're the thumbing their nose at the law - dare you to infringe on their right to throw crap on the ground - laws dont apply to them - drop a load of drywall and old refrigerators at the end of the road - fine them 500 dollars or 30 days in jail litterbug.
7-11 was a part time job.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2008, 09:16:58 AM »
I just went out and clubbed a baby seal...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2008, 09:19:32 AM »
What IS with the fact that that seems to have become a devotional religion? They even have leagues and bumper stickers and weekly meetings, apparently.

Well, the meeting and leagues and stuff are helpful and important.  It's not as easy as it looks, and when you're nursing a toddler it can get pretty frustrating.  Weaning can make you wish to whack someone's head into a wall--be it one's own, a spouse's, or a kid's.  It took my kiddo a month to figure it out, with a whole lotta help and advice from several people.  And doctors and such are utterly useless.  I had two doctors order me to give the kid formula when I had perfectly good expressed milk sitting in my fridge.  Morons.  The meetings are actually monthly, or bi-monthly if one goes to the toddler meetings.  

But the preaching to strangers is just weird.  Also, really creepy and gross to walk up to random nursing women and thank them for helping out the world by breastfeeding.  First, my mother called it nursing.  I call it nursing.  Fewer syllables and sounds a whole lot less, um, agricultural.  Second of all, I'm nursing cuz it's cheap and it's good for my kid.  The world can take care of itself.  Go away.  Ok, sorry, extended rant.  I'll be quiet now.

I'm often amazed that the human speices didn't just end up as saber-tooth tiger poop......
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2008, 09:20:19 AM »

If Seal Is Broken, Do Not Use

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2008, 09:21:23 AM »

Can I have a bite?
 grin
7-11 was a part time job.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2008, 09:22:05 AM »

People who can't park inbetween the lines.

No, those aholes who feel the need to park six inches next to my drivers side door so I can't open the f**cking door and have to enter from the passenger side.

I also hate asshats with SUV or Minivans with dark tinted windows who park next to me and I can't see if cars are coming through their windows when I back out.

I hate people who are glued to their cell phones, there was a time not so long ago that folks didn't have cell phones.

I hate left hand lane drivers.

I hate speeders who are going faster than the flow of traffic.

I hate folks who don't come to a complete stop at stop signs or yield to the driver on the right.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2008, 09:25:30 AM »
As regards parking, I recall seeing a shiny new Escalade that had taken up two parking spaces in a crowded shopping center. When I came out, it was still there, but someone had smashed an entire fast-food lunch across its hood.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2008, 09:27:23 AM »
AND I breathed cigarette smoke in his face...

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2008, 11:29:19 AM »
People who list their pet peeves on a bulletin board.......

...makes me feel like I'm not doing as much as I need to tick off the entire world....

....gotta take up breastfeeding.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2008, 11:56:03 AM »
Ok, just a few...

People who talk/text on cell phones who are oblivious to the safety of others. I watch people blow through stop signs and red lights while they are busy on the phone. Along the same lines are people who don't pay attention driving. Tailgaters piss me off too. Even at stop signs/stop lights they get uber close to your bumper. I guess they were gone that day in driving class when we learned to keep enough space between moving and stopped cars.

College students who throw cans and trash in the yard/street, and also smash glass bottles. Urinating in my yard upsets me too. You parents wouldn't want me to do that in their neighborhood, so don't do it in mine.

Left lane drivers who refuse to let people pass/refuse to move over to the right because they're going the speed limit.

People who leave shopping carts in lots. I once told a person to put the cart back as they were literally right next to the cart corral. They just looked at me and left the cart out. Idiots. I put their cart away.

People who park too close, whether parallel parking or side by side. I've seen their kids put dents in other peoples' doors and the parents don't even blink.

Stupid people in general piss me off. It reminds me that there is no lifeguard at the gene pool. Watch the movie by Mike Judge called "Idiocracy"; you'll get an idea of where we're headed.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2008, 11:58:49 AM »
I'll answer tomorrow after 12.5 hours shepherding luser-land...
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2008, 12:18:24 PM »
Anyway - My peeves are people who assume rules don't apply to them,  litterbugs, especially.

"But officer, an apple core is biodegradable."
      "Yep.  So is a tin can"

Litterbugs - go to hell. 

I also despise litterbugs.  But an apple core or a bread crust is not necessarily litter.  They biodegrade (get eaten) in a reasonably fast manner. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2008, 12:21:47 PM »
Anyway - My peeves are people who assume rules don't apply to them,  litterbugs, especially.

"But officer, an apple core is biodegradable."
      "Yep.  So is a tin can"

Litterbugs - go to hell. 

I also despise litterbugs.  But an apple core or a bread crust is not necessarily litter.  They biodegrade (get eaten) in a reasonably fast manner. 

Then there's the Air Deployed Latte Impact Grenade...

(when someone accidentally leaves their cup on top of the vehicle and drives away...)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2008, 12:34:15 PM »
I used to know a guy years ago who threw stuff out the window.  One time riding with him, I tossed some stuff out right on his drive way.  He yelled at me about littering in his drive way and I said "whats the difference".  He stopped after that.  Some people just don't think things through.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2008, 12:35:21 PM »
I used to know a guy years ago who threw stuff out the window.  One time riding with him, I tossed some stuff out right on his drive way.  He yelled at me about littering in his drive way and I said "whats the difference".  He stopped after that.  Some people just don't think things through.

That's awesome.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2008, 12:48:49 PM »
Litterbugs bother me as well, no matter what they're tossing. I've had the pleasure of having someone's half-empty cup of Coke splash me in the face as I was riding my cycle. I've also had lit cigarette butts wind up inside my jacket.

If there's not an ashtray nearby, I'll flick the hot ash off my cigarette, pinch the butt to make sure it's out and then put it in my pocket.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2008, 01:01:08 PM »
I live on a lake.  The place next door is rented out part of the summer.  Why do the renters think they can moor their boat in front of my house?  When I ask them to move the thing, I usually get a blank, stoopid look.  Usually that's when I have to tell them that if I lived next door to them, how would they like it if I parked my car on their lawn.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2008, 02:11:51 PM »
People who call me on the telephone for no good reason.  It's my phone and I pay for it, not you  angry

I signed up both lines for the "no-call" list but there is still a bunch that are exempt (or at least think they are ...  rolleyes ):

1) pollsters (questions are always loaded, or too personal)

2) political campaigns

3) credit card companies - "there's no problem with your account, but we want to offer you ......."

4) not-for-profits, the police support associations, etc ...

The only unsolicited callers I will even talk to are state F&G (calling license buyers about hunting success) and NWS (I'm on their spotter list) asking me how big the hail is, etc.

Yes, relatives and friends call sometimes but that is different.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2008, 02:36:45 PM »
I saw some tool on a Suzuki M109R pass a car in freeway traffic yesterday, on the shoulder and with his throttle wide open. Poor cagers' ears probably were about to start bleeding. A** hats like that give the rest of us a bad rep.