Author Topic: The Not-So-Lost Tribe  (Read 5332 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: The Not-So-Lost Tribe
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2008, 06:02:03 PM »
And of course their liberal friends in the media aren't going to be too quick to announce that they were [duped] co-conspirators.

Fixed it for you ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Creeping Incrementalism

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2008, 06:31:25 AM »
If I remember the article correctly it stated that they knew the tribe were there, but they wanted to prove they were there in an attempt to halt loggers.

This is not quite the environmentalist bash you were looking for.

No, it pretty much it is.  The tribe is referred to as "uncontacted", as in something pristine from a Jules Verne novel.  It certainly isn't.  No one doubts that there are still people so poor they live in huts in the jungle, so there is no point in proving that.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2008, 11:39:56 AM »
No really, it isn't.

They knew they were there, but they have not had contact with anyone. They were not 'lost', but they are living in the stone age. There is a deliberate policy of non-interference and no contact it seems.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23914571-663,00.html

Mr Meirelles, 61, said the "chance encounter" that produced the famous photographs was no accident.

"When we think we might have found an isolated tribe, a sertanista (tribe expert) like me walks in the forest for two or three years to gather evidence and we mark it in our (global positioning system," he told al-Jazeera.

"We then map the territory the Indians occupy and we draw that protected territory without making contact with them. And finally we set up a small outpost where we can monitor their protection."

In this case Mr Meirelles appears, controversially, to have gone out to seek and find the uncontacted tribe in an area where it was known to be living.

"When the women hear the plane above, they run into the forest, thinking it's a big bird," he said.

"This is such a remote area, planes don't fly over it."

What he was looking for was not only proof of life, but firm evidence that the tribes in this area were flourishing – proof in his view that the policy of no contact and protection was working

So it was something of a publicity stunt, and poor research practice perhaps, but these were not poor people living in huts in the jungle. These are people who don't know what an aeroplane is.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2008, 04:36:45 PM »
No really, it isn't.

They knew they were there, but they have not had contact with anyone. They were not 'lost', but they are living in the stone age. There is a deliberate policy of non-interference and no contact it seems.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23914571-663,00.html

Mr Meirelles, 61, said the "chance encounter" that produced the famous photographs was no accident.

"When we think we might have found an isolated tribe, a sertanista (tribe expert) like me walks in the forest for two or three years to gather evidence and we mark it in our (global positioning system," he told al-Jazeera.

"We then map the territory the Indians occupy and we draw that protected territory without making contact with them. And finally we set up a small outpost where we can monitor their protection."

In this case Mr Meirelles appears, controversially, to have gone out to seek and find the uncontacted tribe in an area where it was known to be living.

"When the women hear the plane above, they run into the forest, thinking it's a big bird," he said.

"This is such a remote area, planes don't fly over it."

What he was looking for was not only proof of life, but firm evidence that the tribes in this area were flourishing  proof in his view that the policy of no contact and protection was working

So it was something of a publicity stunt, and poor research practice perhaps, but these were not poor people living in huts in the jungle. These are people who don't know what an aeroplane is.

I don't have a clue if the story I read on BBC is true or not... But you have to admit the premise is fun.

1. Airplane flies over.
2. Women/children run/hide.
3. Men smear on warpaint, get spears/bow arrows.
4. Airplane comes back and men attack it with bow and arrows like genuine badass cavemen taking on a crazy pterodactyl.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"