Author Topic: The Not-So-Lost Tribe  (Read 5322 times)

MechAg94

• friend
The Not-So-Lost Tribe
« on: June 24, 2008, 04:15:32 AM »
http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/91536

Even in an age when cynical sleuths can hyper-analyze stories for truth and accuracy, the occasional hoax still slips through the cracks. Such was the case with a so-called "lost Amazon tribe."

A few months ago, mainstream news outlets (including, ahem, Yahoo!) reported that a photographer had found a lost tribe of warriors near the Brazilian-Peruvian border. Photos of the tribe backed up his claim.

As it turns out, the story is only half true. The men in the photo are members of a tribe, but it certainly ain't "lost." In fact, as the photographer, José Carlos Meirelles, recently explained, authorities have known about this particular tribe since 1910. The photographer and the agency that released the pictures wanted to make it seem like they were members of a lost tribe in order to call attention to the dangers the logging industry may have on the group.

The photographer recently came clean, and news outlets, perhaps embarrassed at having been taken for a ride, have been slow to pick up the story. Now, the word is starting to spread and articles in the Buzz are picking up steam. Expect a lot more brutal truth in the coming days.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
Re: The Not-So-Lost Tribe
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 04:18:22 AM »
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

taurusowner

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 04:20:37 AM »
What? Eco-freak hippies lying to push their agenda?  Say it aint so.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 04:34:19 AM »
And of course their liberal friends in the media aren't going to be too quick to announce that they were duped.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 05:53:06 AM »
Some of you might remember that I suggested this when the story was being discussed originally. Wink

Remember the so-called "stone age" tribe "discovered" in the Philipines back in the 1970s ?  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Iain

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 06:10:34 AM »
If I remember the article correctly it stated that they knew the tribe were there, but they wanted to prove they were there in an attempt to halt loggers.

"We did the overflight to show their houses, to show they are there, to show they exist," the group quoted Jose Carlos dos Reis Meirelles Junior, an official in the Brazilian government's Indian affairs department, as saying.

"This is very important because there are some who doubt their existence."

from the news story quoted in this thread - http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=12645.0

This is not quite the environmentalist bash you were looking for.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 06:42:05 AM »
"Hey, buddy - I'll give you a hundred pesos if you'll take off your clothes, smear this paint all over your body, and jump around holding this spear."

grin
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 09:18:56 AM »
You talking to me?  'Cause if you are, pay up.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 09:21:30 AM »
You talking to me?  'Cause if you are, pay up.

It was a hypothetical third-party quote.  rolleyes

But in your case, I'll pay you 100 pesos to NOT do that  laugh

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 09:47:30 AM »

But in your case, I'll pay you 100 pesos to NOT do that  laugh
Can I get in on that, too?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 12:12:14 PM »
You can pay me not to do, but it will have to be by the hour.  You have until 5 pm central to pay up. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 12:13:56 PM »
You will all have to give me your account numbers and SSN first so I can transfer the pesos  laugh

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 12:16:21 PM »
Oh goody!  PM sent!

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 12:45:54 PM »
So, does that mean we can't sell glass beads and whiskey to them? Huh?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 12:51:22 PM »
Oh goody!  PM sent!

I forgot to mention the transaction fees.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 03:18:34 PM »

Or kill the majority of them so they can be civilized and converted to Christo-fascism.........er Christianity? Huh?
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 07:59:30 PM »
Christo-fascism is WAY better than regular Christianity.  You get spiffy uniforms. 

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 06:00:17 AM »
And the sermons are much more interesting.

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 08:48:16 AM »

I seem to recall we got some disease, too: although the radicalized stories involving blankets were never proven to my satisfaction.  (The United States has always been self-serving and/or expansionist -- see Iraq -- but I have never bought "genocidal.")

Related to the lost tribe, I have always suspected the Earth is large enough that such things are out there but, in this case, discovery appears to be fraudulent.
Zeke

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2008, 08:50:15 AM »
Krippendorf's Tribe, anyone?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2008, 09:22:42 AM »
Christo-fascism is WAY better than regular Christianity.  You get spiffy uniforms. 
I didn't get any uniform. 

I feel cheated.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2008, 10:40:09 AM »

I feel cheated.
You know who to blame.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2008, 10:52:06 AM »
Aren't you supposed to make your own uniform?  I heard it is easy with everyday household items like bed sheets. 

....or am I thinking of a different ideology?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

crt360

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2008, 12:08:00 PM »
Supposing I had a tribe, how long would we have to be lost, and how lost would we have to be to attain the status of lost tribe?
For entertainment purposes only.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2008, 12:18:18 PM »

I feel cheated.

You must be in one of our stealth brigades.  Or you were, until you blabbed the whole thing online.   rolleyes