Author Topic: Blizzard has announced Diablo III  (Read 4252 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Blizzard has announced Diablo III
« on: June 28, 2008, 06:05:27 PM »
Oh sweet mother of God...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: Blizzard has announced Diablo III
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 06:08:42 PM »
Must...  not.... buy.....  too much opportunity to waste time on a game....  Maybe I'll luck out and the system requirements would smash my PC.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 06:55:58 PM »
Sweet! How long til beta?  grin
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 09:13:56 PM »
Please God, make the system requirements far beyond my current rig!  I have far too much to accomplish to allow this to happen.

Then again, I am working second shift now... if I can just get my partner to live with the insane mouse clicking.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

PTK

• friends
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 09:49:10 PM »
Huh. Well I'll be. Thought all the hype was over a hoax the other day, guess not. May be getting back into playing games afterall.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 09:52:03 PM »
Ah geez....as if Blizzard didn't suck enough of my life away with WOW....
Truth is treason in the empire of lies - Ron Paul

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 10:32:45 PM »
Go to Blizzard's website and check out the cinematic trailer and the game play demo movie.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 10:43:12 PM »
Fortunately, I have no temptation to check this out, seeing as Diablo 2 pretty much burned me out on the franchise.

More power to the folks that succumb, though.

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 02:17:55 AM »
Monster pinatas! Pick up all the gold! Where's the ring, I heard a ring drop?

"I got a Massive Sharp Sword of Sticking Things!"
"I got a Unique Ice Wand of Freezing Crap!
"I got a rock."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 04:01:05 AM »
I spend enough time playing Pirates of the Caribbean lol

No diablo for me
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 04:31:39 AM »
I might have to check it out once I've made it past level 5 in Frogger.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Daniel964

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 04:51:31 AM »
Dear God please let it work well on my present computer. If it doesn't I'll be required to drop $1,500 or more on a better system.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 05:24:19 AM »
Yes, there was much discussion by my fellows about this game last night around the card table.  This genre is not really my mug of ale, but I will admit from the gameplay trailers it is pretty.

http://kotaku.com/5020479/diablo-iii-videos-trailer-gameplay-footage
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 06:29:24 AM »
Blizzard has been very good about not building games that totally blow 99.999999999% of all user systems out of the water.

Some games that are out there right now are brought to you by some of the stupidest designers in the world.

I forget which game it was, but it was out in the last couple of years. The breakdown was that, in order to properly run this game it required a computer that, at that time, would cost at least $6,000. It had been developed to the very latest graphics card standards; most other graphics cards would either bog down or it wouldn't run at all. Game design like that is nothing more than a mental and physical masturbation session for the developers. Far too often exercises like that result in visually beautiful games, but ones that have little to no game play value. But that's not an issue to the wonks. They want to be able to sit in their parent's basements and say "I developed the most kick ass game ever! Only 6 units sold, because no one had the system that would run it, and I lost my job when the company went belly up, but..."

By accepting the reality that only a very few people are going to run out and spend hundreds, or thousands, in upgrades and developing to more of an industry standard middle mark, Blizzard is still able to put out incredible games with fantastic storylines, great game play, and most intriguing of all, latency. There are still huge numbers of people who play Diablo II, and I'm one of them.

In essence, Blizzard gives everyone a game they can enjoy, and in doing so, they mint money.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2008, 07:14:54 AM »
Some games that are out there right now are brought to you by some of the stupidest designers in the world.

I forget which game it was, but it was out in the last couple of years. The breakdown was that, in order to properly run this game it required a computer that, at that time, would cost at least $6,000. It had been developed to the very latest graphics card standards; most other graphics cards would either bog down or it wouldn't run at all. Game design like that is nothing more than a mental and physical masturbation session for the developers. Far too often exercises like that result in visually beautiful games, but ones that have little to no game play value. But that's not an issue to the wonks. They want to be able to sit in their parent's basements and say "I developed the most kick ass game ever! Only 6 units sold, because no one had the system that would run it, and I lost my job when the company went belly up, but..."

That sounds a lot like Crysis, from Ubisoft, the people who made "Far Cry". Very beautiful and could bring all but the most high end systems to a crawl.
When they released the demo I said "Great, they've released another benchmarking engine!".
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2008, 09:42:43 AM »
Yeah, like Mike said, Blizzard has a great reputation for making games that actually run at an acceptable level on computers that match their listed system requirements.

WoW came out 11/23/04 and required this system:
Intel Pentium III or AMD Athlon 800 MHz
512 MB or more of RAM
32 MB 3D video card with Hardware T&L or better

Half-Life 2 came out the same month and required a 1.2Ghz processor (and this is Valve, btw, not really known for cutting edge engines that tax machines for their fullest.  Doom 3 came out the same year and required a 1.5Ghz processor and a much better video card.)

Not only that, but my brother was actually running a 750Mhz Athlon at that point, and at the lowest settings, the game ran acceptably in everything but the cities.

Me, since I couldn't find my old Diablo 2 cds, I'm probably going to be running out on my lunch hour tomorrow and picking up the battle chest.  Anyone feel like organizing an APS D2 night?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2008, 09:51:04 AM »
Doom 3 came out the same year and required a 1.5Ghz processor and a much better video card.)

Ironic, considering that after the first chapter, you couldn't see anything!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2008, 10:11:00 AM »
And here I sit with a dual core 5000 athlon and a pair of Radeon 3800's in Crossfire.  All ready for a new game to waste my time on. grin
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2008, 10:13:34 AM »
When I saw the requirements for Doom 3 I just put the box down and walked out of the store.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2008, 11:12:24 AM »
When I saw the requirements for Doom 3 I just put the box down and walked out of the store.

No kidding, especially seeing as it was both:
1 - A remake of the first episode of DOOM,
2 - A mixture of many colors, if by colors you mean 'black.'

The requirements for that were insane.  Too many developers are doing as you said and just ramping the crap out of their engine requirements.  Which works for them, I suppose, but not for me.  I want to play a game that's going to actually seem like it's worth the damned money I plunk down on it, not run a benchmarking demo on my rig. 

He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2008, 12:04:41 PM »
"not run a benchmarking demo on my rig."

Nice analogy, and very appropriate, I think.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2008, 12:18:26 PM »

The requirements for that were insane.  Too many developers are doing as you said and just ramping the crap out of their engine requirements.  Which works for them, I suppose, but not for me.  I want to play a game that's going to actually seem like it's worth the damned money I plunk down on it, not run a benchmarking demo on my rig. 

I just recall my reaction on someone else's PC to the fact that you could have a gun or a light but not both at the same time. "What the hell? I have a light mount on all my guns? And did they forget how to make duct tape in the future?!"

Besides, as I mentioned, apart from the interesting setup in the first chapter, it was just dark and stupid circa 1990's trigger actions. Pick up the vest, monsters appear, so you don't pick up the vest. If you want to go to Mars in a game and have fun, get the original Red Faction game.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2008, 01:40:50 PM »

I just recall my reaction on someone else's PC to the fact that you could have a gun or a light but not both at the same time. "What the hell? I have a light mount on all my guns? And did they forget how to make duct tape in the future?!"

Yea, the duct tape mod was THE first one made to my knowledge.  It allowed you to tape a flashlight to your gun. 

Kinda makes you wonder WTF ID was thinking.  Doom 1 didn't abuse this 'all black' thing like D3 did.

Besides, as I mentioned, apart from the interesting setup in the first chapter, it was just dark and stupid circa 1990's trigger actions. Pick up the vest, monsters appear, so you don't pick up the vest. If you want to go to Mars in a game and have fun, get the original Red Faction game.

Or if you still have your DOOM disks around, download one of the 3-D doom engines that are out there and play it in OpenGL mode with 3-D models.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2008, 03:55:17 AM »
Diablo I was fun . . . I didn't appreciate Diablo II as much, it was just more of the same.

"Hey, look, let's just put a lot more bad guys in here for our hero to wade through!"

Frankly, too many game designers so enthralled with the graphics, that they forget the playability of the games . . . and they do dumb things like only allowing the game to be saved at specific points (e.g., Ghost Recon 2) so if you get killed near the end of a level, you have to repeat the whole <expletive> level again.

And it's hard to come up with something new . . . most new games are just rehashed, graphics-enhanced versions of earlier games.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2008, 04:02:16 AM »
Diablo I was fun . . . I didn't appreciate Diablo II as much, it was just more of the same.

"Hey, look, let's just put a lot more bad guys in here for our hero to wade through!"

Frankly, too many game designers so enthralled with the graphics, that they forget the playability of the games . . . and they do dumb things like only allowing the game to be saved at specific points (e.g., Ghost Recon 2) so if you get killed near the end of a level, you have to repeat the whole <expletive> level again.

And it's hard to come up with something new . . . most new games are just rehashed, graphics-enhanced versions of earlier games.

Diablo II's multiplayer was WAY better, and that's what it was meant for, playing with a group of friends. It was hilarious fun when you did that. Especially with people who communicated well.

"Hey, I brought you a hat. From HELL."

(female friend playing a valkyrie sort, regarding the barbarian)
"Did you just bellow for power? Was that a potion or testosterone?"

(when someone had just evaporated every bad guy in the room with some particularly massive spell)
"...show-off."
"Just cause you ain't got it."

(To druid in werewolf form, when it started raining.)
"I smell wet dog."
"Hush, or I'll bite you."

It was fun.  smiley