Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 2351 times)

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
What would you do?
« on: July 07, 2008, 09:11:29 AM »
What would you do?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was in the Valley of Sin over the weekend helping out a friend. I got a call at 1:30 in the morning from my Son saying he had been chewed up by trying to stop a fight between his pitbulll and a rottweilller. He sounded really shook up which is unusual for him. We were staying at my friend's house which is maybe 6 or 7 city miles from his apt. When we got there he was shaking and very upset. His arms had multiple puncture wounds from the bites from his wrists to his elbows. He had washed the wounds out with peroxide and had ripped up a T shirt to staunch the bleeding. I took one look at the damage and sent my Lady out to an all night drug store to get medical supplies.

After she left he told me he was scared because the owner of the other dog had told him he was going to come after him with a gun and shoot him and the dog. I told him to calm down and relax while she was out getting supplies to patch him up. As she was exiting the parking lot I realized my pistol was in the door pocket of the SUV we were driving. My son had stated that he knew he could not defend himself the way he was shaking and considering the shape his arms were in.

I stood on the landing of the stairwell to block anyone from going up to his apt. Several of the neighbors in the heat of their upset tried to tell me they had to go up to "straighten things out". When I refused to let them by they mumbled and went back down to stand in front of their apts. The owner of the other dog came up and tried to get by me, and when I refused to let him by he gave a glassy eyed look, and I remember thinking, Oh, sh**t he's on drugs.

Someone called the cops and when they showed up, the people in the end apt flagged them down. From where I was standing I could hear the accusations flying right and left, along with demands that the officers had to go drag my son's dog out of the apt and shoot his a**. After listening to the stories and accusations, the officers walked down to where I was standing in the staircase and asked it I was the one with the dog. I said, "NO, the owner of the dog is my son. He is upstairs with bites up to his elbows and my Lady who has a nursing background is out getting medical supplies. We need to get him patched up and calmed down before he has to deal with this. Can you guys go back and calm this lynch mob down? One of them gave me a funny look and asked, "What do you know about this?" I said nothing other than what my son said before I came out here. Anything I told you would be hearsay"

They went back down to the crowd and while they talked again, My Lady came back with the med stuff and did a professional job of cleaning him up. I asked her to leave the pads and bandages off so the officers could see what damage he had from the other dog. From what I could hear they got conflicting stories from the people in the crowd. When they went back to their cars I walked down and asked them what ARS or City statutes they thought would apply in this case. One of them told me honestly, "We don't know, we are calling our Sargeant. I said, "Ok, when you figure it out we'll be waiting to talk with you". Another funny look from them.

They came up and talked to him, with me as a witness. They explained there was nothing they could charge him with due to the fact that the other guy's dog was not on a leash, and neither was my son's dog. (Yeah I know!) When my son said that he had been threatened they looked at him and asked if he wanted to press charges. He made me proud when he said, "No, we were both wrong and I know he was angry. He was just mouthing off. I'm just glad I had guts enough to stop the dog fight and the dogs didn't get hurt real bad." He said that standing there with multiple bleeding puncture wounds on his arms.

As the officers were leaving I asked them what station they were out of, knowing the answer in advance. When they answered, I said, "is John ----- still there? One of them answered, Yeah he was our training Sargeant. I replied, Yeah I thought so. You said and did all the right things. I figured it was him who rubbed off on you." They stopped dead in their tracks and really looked at me then.

If you were presented with that situation, and realized you had no gun, how would you have handled it? angry

MechAg94

• friend
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 09:52:04 AM »
All I can think of is that if there were threats made, the cops might should have been called sooner.  I wasn't there and I don't think I caught the time frame right.  I'm glad you could be there to help your son. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

taurusowner

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 10:01:30 AM »
You can't just go into your apt and lock the doors?

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 10:14:24 AM »
Breaking up a dog fight is a foolish thing to do by hand. And the pits I've known could handle themselves against rotties.

It sounds like you did a pretty good job de-escalating the situation. I've only been in a situation like that once, where I received the "dead of night emergency" call. Staying calm and relating well to the cops are the highest priority generally speaking. A stairwell sounds defensible; did you have access to a discrete improvised weapon?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 03:35:00 PM »
Breaking up a dog fight is a foolish thing to do by hand. And the pits I've known could handle themselves against rotties.

It sounds like you did a pretty good job de-escalating the situation. I've only been in a situation like that once, where I received the "dead of night emergency" call. Staying calm and relating well to the cops are the highest priority generally speaking. A stairwell sounds defensible; did you have access to a discrete improvised weapon?

If the only thing which is available to avoid horrendous damage to your dog is your own hands and you love the dog as my son loves his, you do what you have to.  My son has never been able to make a commitment and keep it.  I certainly don't like him getting chewed up, but he did follow through in defense of something that mattered to him.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 07:30:01 PM »
son gonna be ok?  bites can be serious.hes lucky to have the backup
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 08:07:38 PM »
Talked to him tonight.  He is stiff and sore but healing ok.  I think it is the wounds inside that are going to take a long time.  He has finally accepted that this particular dog is not a good risk and will put him down.  He really loves the dog and put his life on the line for it, and now has to face the harsh reality that he must save any other dogs, or heaven forbid, kids from being hurt by it.

I called the woman I got my newest pup from and she still had her brother.  They look like twins.  I will keep it up here in the mountains and housebreak him and do some training, and then take Brownie, the brother of my dog, down to my son.

Some lessons are really hard learned. undecided

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 09:09:43 PM »
Was your son's dog responsible for the fight?  I got the impression that it was the aggressive neighbors and their dog started the incident. and that your son intervened only to stop the fight.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 03:31:45 AM »
he was scared because the owner of the other dog had told him he was going to come after him with a gun and shoot him and the dog.

I would have called 911, put that on tape, and hoped that the police response was quick.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 07:33:55 AM »
As I understand it, both dogs were loose.  They fought because you can't have two Alpha dogs loose at the same time.  I have a Black Lab/Chow mix and had a Husky/Wolf mix who both were positive they were top dog, and were willing to kill each other to prove it.  I finally had to find a new home for the Husky.  He was a good dog, but not in a house with another Alpha dog.

They both accepted that I am top dog, but would not accept that they weren't second.  My son's dog is the same.  Only hates other Alpha dogs.

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 07:44:28 AM »
Would not a leash have fixed the issue, before there was an issue?  (I know, hindsight.)

I agree with the "go inside, lock the door, call the cops" theory.

This is why I hated apartment living.  Sad
Zeke

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 10:41:21 AM »
Why is always a big surprise when dogs of these breeds get out of hand and someone gets hurt?  Leashes and bullets are relatively cheap........chris3

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 11:05:59 AM »
Would not a leash have fixed the issue, before there was an issue?  (I know, hindsight.)

I agree with the "go inside, lock the door, call the cops" theory.

This is why I hated apartment living.  Sad

My big issue is that nobody informed the cops that the Rott owner threatened said son with a gun or weapon. 
And I'm with you.....dogs belong on leashes!!!!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”