Author Topic: Time for another "What are you reading" thread.  (Read 9125 times)

cosine

• Administrator
Time for another "What are you reading" thread.
« on: July 08, 2008, 09:32:21 AM »
We haven't had one of these threads since we've gotten a fair number of new members, so I think it's about time we have one again.

Me:
Karol Wojtyla's (Pope John Paul II) Love and Responsibility
Aldous Huxley's Brave New World
Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings (yes, I'm just getting around to reading it for the first time, and I'm actually finding it mighty dry and not that all entertaining... I'm choking it down more than actually reading it.)
Andy

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Time for another "What are you reading" thread.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 09:33:57 AM »
William Gibson's Virtual Light, which is depressing because it was set in 2005 and we're nowhere near the stuff in it.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 09:35:20 AM »
Hum...

Band of Brothers

John Adams

the names of the other books escape me right now.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 09:39:38 AM »
Just finished A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. Really good book. I've got Three Cups Of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin, and Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell and Patrick Robinson sitting in my unread pile. Either way, I'm back in the Middle East.  cheesy I'll probably go with Lone Survivor for the military aspect.

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 11:00:08 AM »
I just finished Letters To A Young Contrarian by Christopher Hitchens, Thomas Jefferson: Author of America, and Thomas Paine's Rights of Man, also by Christopher Hitchens.  Fantastic stuff.

I am now reading Walden by Henry David Thoreau.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 11:05:43 AM »
First book of the final chronicles of Thomas Covenant.

Sagan's Candle in the Dark.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 11:07:03 AM »

I had to read that in my honors english class last semester. Not a bad read.
Andy

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 11:15:54 AM »

Until you realize that his "retreat" wasn't even a mile and a half from downtown Concord, with two major roads right by the house site. It wasn't any more of a retreat than a McMansion in a suburb.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 11:22:27 AM »
Over the last couple weeks:

Manifold Time by Stephen Baxter.  Manifold Space next up.
What Dreams May Come, Richard Matheson.
Simple Genius by David Baldacci.
Tularosa by Michael McGarrity.
The Tin Roof Blowdown by James Lee Burke.

When I get done with the books, I box 'em up and send 'em to a fella I know in
Baghdad that is a denizen of THR.  He reads 'em and hands 'em around.  He told me that each book will get read by a few dozen troops before they fall apart.
If any of you want to mail books over, PM me and I'll give you his name and address.  Post office has single price boxes, around $10.00 and all you get in the box, no weight charge. 

I'm getting ready to send another box.  Probably throw in some good coffee too.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 11:31:51 AM »
Pratchett (always some Pratchett book).
Started reading through The Dresden Files novels again. Awesome.
Newest love is the WorldWar series by Harry Turtledove. Finished the third book just a few days back. Probably pick up the fourth sometime this week, together with the Colonization series (sequels to WorldWar series).
Freehold by Michael Z. Williamson.
American Gods by Neil Gaiman.
Also the V For Vendetta comic book.
I've also got Atlas Shrugged laying somewhere, read perhaps 2-300 pages of it. I'm probably going to pick it up soon again. Perhaps.
Also reading Lovecraft, when I can remember where the books are that is. I tend to forget them with other people.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 12:21:44 PM »
Just started reading "Oil" by Upton Sinclair. I want to read it before I watch the movie.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 01:27:25 PM »
I have been rereading Weber's Honor Harrington books for a little fun.  My Dad is trying to get me to read Clan of the Cave Bear so I will likely start it pretty soon. 

I keep saying I am going to read some more of the non-fiction books I have, but I am always slow on that.  Smiley
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

mckormicnavistar

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 01:31:54 PM »
Heller vs DC briefs
Federalist Papers

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 01:39:48 PM »
Working through my old James Bond novels written by John Gardner.....just finished Scorpius yesterday and started Win, Lose, or Die today......

Plan to go to my library this weekend and start reading Niven's Ringworld books....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 01:46:51 PM »

Until you realize that his "retreat" wasn't even a mile and a half from downtown Concord, with two major roads right by the house site. It wasn't any more of a retreat than a McMansion in a suburb.

Hmmm...interesting.  I'm not sure it negates the point, though.

TF_FH

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 01:51:24 PM »
Tularosa by Michael McGarrity.

Heh, I live about 7 miles from Tularosa.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 04:15:58 PM »
John Calvin, Institutes of the Christian Religion.  30 years ago I petered out somewhere in book three, taking another stab at it.  Currently Book 2 ch 10 or so.

Poking at Pascal, Pensees

"Scary" Gary North, Unholy Spirits

Kurt Aland, A Synopsis of the Four Gospels

And for once, nothing work related.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 05:15:26 PM »
I like to read a bit of CS Lewis' speeches, radio talks and apologetics.  Brilliant man who could make complicated things easy to grasp.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 05:24:27 PM »
The casebooks:
Whaley, Secured Transactions
Kalo et. al, Coastal and Ocean Law

The other random (ok, not so random) stuff:
MI Court of Appeals/MI Supreme Court cases related to Indian fishing treating
Fisher and Uhry, Getting to Yes

The even less random stuff:
The Gospel of Mark (with various exegesis)

The "yes, I really am that crazy" stuff:
Whittset et. al., The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer

The Secured Transaction is jsut evil.  Irritating, annoying, complex, and above all, depressing as all get out.  The Ocean Law is very cool, and is accompanied by a coursepack that focuses on Great Lakes law and issues.  Important for me, because I am interested in working with recreational property planning in Northern Michigan, a growing micro-niche, but most of the guys in there are into environmental stuff.  Mostly not from a tree-hugger point of view, more from a sportsman's point of view, which is very nice.  Oddly, almost all guys in that class.  Maybe because of all the science.  Dunno.  Fishery treaties cases are for a paper for that class.  Getting to Yes is the bible for interest-based negotiation, and seeing as how as of the beginning of September, I'll be a practicing mediator (unpaid, for course credit.  In small claims court.  Still, pretty cool.) it's important to know and internalize those priniciples.  

Mark is a neat story.  Overnight in the hospital a couple weeks ago, shot up with a ton of steroids that have a tendency to make one feel really, really bad in a jumpy and awful way.  Sleeping was impossible, no computer, nothing to read.  The nurse brought me a Gideon Bible.  I chose a short one becuase reading was difficult, and the approximately ten pages of the gospel lasted me until dawn.  Whole new appreciation for both Mark and the Gideons.

As for the marathin training guide, well, that's just what happens when someone a little nutty gets diagnosed with asthma.  It's slow going, and I'll allow about a year instead of the sixteen week plan in that particular guide.  I'm up to 3/4 of a mile at a time, which isn't much, until you compare it to last month.  Don't be surprised if someday soon, in a bout of overconfidence, BridgeWalker turns into BridgeRunner.

Yeah, so no one asked for the back stories, but the lists are much niftier with some added context, imho.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 05:29:02 PM »
Right now I'm just about finished with "A Crown of Swords" which is the 7th book in the Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan.  I think this is around the sixth or seventh time I've read it.   I'm a bit low on reading material at this time.  undecided

After I finish re-reading that series, I think I'm going to go to the bookstore and find some new material.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2008, 07:31:12 PM »
"Psychology of Intelligence Analysis" by Richard Heuer.  This book was originally written for the CIA but its principles seem to be appropriate to any field in which one must make decisions under uncertainty in a changing world.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2008, 08:11:38 PM »
Heller vs DC briefs
Federalist Papers

Try The Essential Antifederalist for some better reading.  Nothing against the Federal system (ok, well, not too much), but anti stuff is good reading.  I forget who compiled that particular collection, and it's in a box somewhere, but it's a neat book.

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2008, 08:13:06 PM »
Just finished Atlas Shrugged.  Just started A Tale of Two Cities.  Thinking about The History of the Peloponesian War being next.  
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2008, 09:10:39 PM »
Just finished up King's The Dark Tower series.

Just started Wild at Heart.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

WeedWhacker

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2008, 09:25:53 PM »
Larry Niven's Neutron Star
Henry Hazlitt's Economics in One Lesson
C.J. Cherryh's Serpent's Reach
"Higher education" is often a euphemism for producers of fermented, homogenized minds.