Author Topic: Biker downed by Texas highway obstacle  (Read 10567 times)

crt360

• friend
Biker downed by Texas highway obstacle
« on: July 20, 2008, 10:43:00 PM »
Man Released After Motorcycle Collides with Cow

Posted: July 18, 2008 07:15 AM

Updated: July 18, 2008 04:59 PM

by Lauren Keeffe

CHILTON- A man is in the hospital after he says he ran into what he thinks was a cow while riding his motorcycle.

Police and rescue crews were on the scene early this morning on Highway 77, near Chilton.

The motorcyclist was sent to Scott and White Hospital where he was treated and released.

Officers are still investigating the wreck.

Did he hit it so hard that it was also unidentifiable by the police and rescue crews?
For entertainment purposes only.

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Biker downed by Texas highway obstacle
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 10:54:08 PM »
The cow could have not been injured and left the scene of the accident.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 11:40:26 PM »
Ouch. And I thought that bicyclist who got hit by a deer in my area was bad.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 01:08:36 AM »

Then she should get a ticket for that....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 02:40:30 AM »
Ouch. And I thought that bicyclist who got hit by a deer in my area was bad.

I know a guy who hit a moose on his mountain bike.  Broke his cavicle.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 03:12:33 AM »
While hunting Turkey in the White Mountains of Arizona we came upon a motorcycle accident on the highway while coming out of the woods for lunch. 2 riders on a Harly hit a cow elk doing what the lady passenger said was 50 mph. Driver was in bad shape and got air lifted out. She was beat up but coherent.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 03:39:30 AM »
Yet another reason I found driving in Tejas to be terrifying.  Speed limits are merely suggestions and then they have a defense out on the highway.

I nearly clipped an Axis deer in Mountain Home one foggy morning.  Good thing I was driving a little slow and was tensed up like a cat.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

JimMarch

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 04:13:47 AM »
Guy probably suffered a concussion that screwed with his memories.  It happens, even with a good helmet...been there, done that.

This doesn't mean the guy was DUI or anything...could have been, but trust me, just the hit to the head will mess up memory.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 04:36:05 AM »

mooing violation?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 04:53:01 AM »
Guy probably suffered a concussion that screwed with his memories.  It happens, even with a good helmet...been there, done that.

This doesn't mean the guy was DUI or anything...could have been, but trust me, just the hit to the head will mess up memory.
I think it means he was going pretty fast and didn't get more than a glimpse of the cow. 

Yes, in Texas, if it isn't deer or cows, then little things like possum or squirrels will get you.  If you get out in rural areas, you used to see a lot of farmers with big steel guards on the front of their trucks. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 07:06:27 AM »
2 riders on a Harly hit a cow elk doing what the lady passenger said was 50 mph.

That's a pretty fast elk  shocked

Just FYI: Montana is still "open range" by law, so if you hit a cow you have to pay for the cost of the cow as well as your own damages and injuries.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 07:14:27 AM »
Sadly I know all about the eating the cost of the cow after wrecking my dad's 4runner at night while in high school.  Moonless overcast night, brand new perfectly black asphalt, open range, black cow laying down in the middle of the highway.

I'd rather have hit a cow than a grizzly bear on a bike.  Just think how screwed a guy might be if the bear lived:

http://www.nohippos.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3027

A Saskatchewan motorcycle rider who struck and killed an adult grizzly will live to tell the tale.

The man, who was riding a motorcycle that he had purchased just two weeks ago, was riding through Kootenay National Park on Tuesday night when he hit a bruin that was trying to make its way across Hwy. 93, said Columbia Valley RCMP Cpl. Brent Ayers.

"He was heading north towards Canmore when a grizzly bear ran across the road in front of him," he said.

"He was unable to avoid hitting (the) grizzly and (the) bear died on impact."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 08:32:00 AM »
My claim to fame is I hit a buffalo (American Bison) on a 250cc Yamaha in 1971. I grew up pretty close to a wildlife refuge and they had roaming bands of both buffalo and longhorn cattle. Let me tell you how much light a buff reflects.... none, zero, nada. All you get is a little green spot that is the eye!

One dark night right after I went over the cattle guard into the refuge I sped up and didin't get 100yds before I broadsided Mr Buff. It folded my front wheel under the engine, bent the forks, my legs bent the handle bars and I went flying over Mr Buff. He commenced to lay on the road and make these strange grunting sounds, much like I was making as I tried to get air into my lungs.

He recovered before me, got up and wandered away. All the time I was worried that after he got up he would come over and stomp me into a greasy spot on the road.  I eventually got up, dragged my bike to the side of the road and sat down to think. About that time a Highway patrolman drove up and asked what happened. I told him, and he LAUGHED at me!

The only evidence i hit the guy was my bike was crunched and both the clutch and front brake lever had buff fur in them, there were a few other tufts here and there.

I had some friends fishing down the road so he took me there to get my frends truck to haul my bike away. He must have felt sorry for me, I didn't get a ticket...but then again, neither did the buff for failing to yield.

bob

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 08:39:28 AM »
The man, who was riding a motorcycle that he had purchased just two weeks ago, was riding through Kootenay National Park on Tuesday night when he hit a bruin that was trying to make its way across Hwy. 93, said Columbia Valley RCMP Cpl. Brent Ayers.

What is scary is that I went backpacking for several days in KNP about 30 years ago.  No guns (of course!) and my black lab mix tagging along.  shocked

Maybe that's why I'm so paranoid any more about always carrying a gun.  I figure that I have already used up all my luck.  undecided
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 08:42:44 AM »
A biker was taken down a few months ago here by a wild turkey. Not the kind in the bottle, either.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2008, 08:54:42 AM »
Guy got killed here a couple months ago when he hit a horse in a semi-rural area while riding his motorcycle during an early-morning commute. Apparently the horse had escaped its corral and was wandering around on the road. Guy wasn't wearing a helmet, though I don't know if that would have made a difference in this case, probably had some major internal injuries in his chest and abdomen from the impact.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2008, 09:08:02 AM »

mooing violation?

At least they won't tag on an "improper use of horn" violation.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008, 12:04:17 PM »
Same as driving a car, you have to look to see what is on the other side of the glass now and then........................chris3

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2008, 12:47:08 PM »
I once thought that the deer on the roads here in Wisconsin were a hazard, until I started riding in the western states where there's open range areas. The deer will usually jump out of the way, but cattle just stand there and look at you.

Nothing like coming around a curve too fast and finding 800 pounds of beef standing in your way.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2008, 02:58:47 PM »
When I worked in Montana we would have someone hit a cow or horse every 3-4 days. There is nothing like taking care of a patient on a backboard and you are tring to sort out their blood from the animal's blood and them being covered in grass in various stages of digestion.  shocked

We just called them slow elk, didn't matter whether it was a cow or a horse.

bob

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2008, 03:05:04 PM »
What do you do with the dead cow after it gets hit?

I grew up in Amish country.  Amish car wrecks usually resulted in a horse carcass blocking traffic, and a county sheriff scratching his head about how to move it.  I don't think they ever had a good solution.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2008, 03:12:57 PM »
The biker certainly had a moooving experience.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

BobR

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2008, 03:24:56 PM »
I don't know what happens to the cow in the rest of the country, but on the rez in Montana there would be people butchering the cow on the side of the road. Sometimes before the ambulance arrived, or at the same time. They would sometimes get a group of people together to throw the carcass into the back of the truck to take home and butcher.

Whatever was left behind fed the various carrion eaters for while.

bob

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2008, 04:08:01 AM »
I don't think they ever had a good solution.

Why not?  Assuming the carcass is mostly intact, wrap a noose around the neck, tie to vehicle, drag off of road.  If nothing else, the tow truck shouldn't have any problem.  If it's that common, have tow packages installed on the cop cars so they can hook the line to the hitch.

Water truck if you really want it clean, and the highway department can take the corpse if they really want to(IE it's in  an area you can't just wait for the scavangers).

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2008, 06:37:42 AM »
What do you do with the dead cow after it gets hit?

I grew up in Amish country.  Amish car wrecks usually resulted in a horse carcass blocking traffic, and a county sheriff scratching his head about how to move it.  I don't think they ever had a good solution.
I guess a fork lift would work. 

A rope and a ramp up onto a low trailer would do it. 

It is probably good that most land where I grew up was fenced.  I think more teenagers ran off the road due to being drunk and driving too fast than anything else.  The road I lived on was a well maintained and fairly wide 2 lane farm road.  It was deceptively straight in spots and it looks like you could go 120 MPH with no problem....until you get to the next curve and clear the barbed wire fence as you go flying off the road....or hit a patch of sand/dirt that the nice gravel trucks left for you. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge