Author Topic: Miller Decision  (Read 874 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Miller Decision
« on: July 23, 2008, 12:32:15 PM »
Could it not be inferred that the decision of SCOTUS in Miller that a sawed off shotgun was untenable for militia use would actually be read as a ban on the militia or military from using a short barreled shotgun?

And that if the military does in fact find such a weapon useful today, then Miller could be reversed based on new evidence?

I'm not really itching for a SBS or anything... I don't care for shotguns at all personally.  I just think the language of the case could actually be used to infer a restriction on the GOVERNMENT rather than on the people.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
Re: Miller Decision
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 12:52:06 PM »
read the miller decision closely. it does not actually say that. it says something along the lines that no evidence has been introduced to support the contention that the SBS is a weapon useful to militia service. that was important because miller tried to claim his rights under the 2A were violated becasue he was not allowed to have a militia wepaon.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 01:22:43 PM »
Right, but the only arguing attorney in court was for the Government, making the case that a SBS has no merit to the militia.

Can't the Government be made to eat crow in regards to those statements?  Obviously, if they feel it has no merit, it shouldn't be used in the military.  Seems to me they would have to backpedal on the merits of any Miller testimony they might have made.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 01:25:55 PM »
How long was Miller's shotgun? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife