Author Topic: More proof America is the greatest country in the world  (Read 7541 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: More proof America is the greatest country in the world
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2008, 12:39:52 PM »
Look at Kevin over there.  He has thirty-seven pieces of flair.  Manedwolf, don't you want to express yourself? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2008, 12:55:47 PM »
Why bother going to a restaurant if they all look exactly the same? 

Maybe some of us go out to get a steak, not to be impressed by the decor. 

If you're going to a chain like this for a steak, then you've never had a steak.....

So, you go to restaurants for the decor, then?   rolleyes 

I'm glad I'm not as tragically hip as some people. 

I think they mean that the steaks at that sort of restaurant are not the best sorts of steaks, really. They're usually not the best cuts, the freshest meat, or the highest-paid chefs. They mostly go for quantity and hire line cooks and that's it.

Chain places usually don't have steak that's done how I like it, seared hot first, then grilled just enough over a charcoal fire, not just pushed in a line along a gas grill with the rest of the entrees.

Well said, sir.....  grin
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2008, 01:35:47 PM »
When you are working 14-18 hrs/day on travel and you have to get some chow in your gulletbefore hitting the rack, a dependable, if uninspired, meal from ChainRestRont can be just the ticket.

I appreciate decor, uniqueness, and high-quality fare.  Sometimes, I just want a freaking meal and to go to bed.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2008, 03:28:05 PM »
When you are working 14-18 hrs/day on travel and you have to get some chow in your gulletbefore hitting the rack, a dependable, if uninspired, meal from ChainRestRont can be just the ticket.

I appreciate decor, uniqueness, and high-quality fare.  Sometimes, I just want a freaking meal and to go to bed.

....that's why they sell Beanie Weenies in a can.....  grin
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2008, 03:43:33 PM »
The food is consistent with the price. Higher price and better quality then fast food, lower price and worse quality than more upscale places.

There are places that have higher quality food at lower prices. In my experience this combination is frequently accompanied by large crowds and long waits.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2008, 05:26:20 PM »
The food is consistent with the price. Higher price and better quality then fast food, lower price and worse quality than more upscale places.

Why I can't understand Outback's continued existence. It's expensive and not good.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2008, 07:16:57 PM »
Dude, you're a foodie.  You care about this gourmet stuff more than most people do.  So quit acting like you can expect silly chain stores to have uppity food. 

You have a more refined palate than the rest of us.  Did you just want someone to acknowledge it?  Now go eat some truffles or something.  Tongue
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2008, 08:13:38 PM »
Now go eat some truffles or something.  Tongue
Just don't do it in a bland restaurant, or we'll never hear the end of it.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2008, 12:37:13 AM »

Why I can't understand Outback's continued existence. It's expensive and not good.

....and the choir said "AMEN".....

...give me Old West Steakhouse in Athens or Heitmiller's in Waco any day....  grin

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2008, 04:08:53 AM »
Dude, you're a foodie.  You care about this gourmet stuff more than most people do.  So quit acting like you can expect silly chain stores to have uppity food. 

You have a more refined palate than the rest of us.  Did you just want someone to acknowledge it?  Now go eat some truffles or something.  Tongue

No, I can understand when a chain restaurant is cheap and just okay, but consistently just okay. That's what they're for, and sometimes you just want a burger.

The only kind I don't get are the ones that are like Outback, that charge prices just as much as a good steakhouse, plus have a long wait, for mediocre food. Outback is not cheap at all!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2008, 04:17:17 AM »
The only kind I don't get are the ones that are like Outback, that charge prices just as much as a good steakhouse, plus have a long wait, for mediocre food. Outback is not cheap at all!

Outback is hardly expensive.  While not haute cuisine, it is perfectly edible and consistent.  I would put it on the better side of mediocre.  They also have enough variety that I can go there with my picky wife, even pickier daughter, omninvorous friend, his vegetarian wife, and their two semi-vegetarian kids and we can all find something to eat.

We (the group listed above) tried a local steakhouse once.  It was foul and not any cheaper than Outback.

Chris

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2008, 08:06:31 AM »
While not haute cuisine, it is perfectly edible and consistent.  I would put it on the better side of mediocre. 

So is Chef Boy-Ardee....and I wouldn't pay Outback prices to eat it.....

anygunanywhere

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2008, 08:55:02 AM »
Chain restaurants assure a minimum level of quality and consistency between all of their franchises.  You know the meal isn't going to be the highest quality meal you've ever had, but you also know that it won't be the worst you've ever had, either. 

Some people value the ability to trust the chain restaurant to deliver a basic, palatable meal every time.  Other people prefer to take their chances at a unique, one-off restaurant.  Free country and all.  Everyone has a chance at what they want. 

What's your gripe here?  Nobody will force you to go to a new bland box restaurant if you don't want to.

Eating meals in restaurants over 200 days a year will drive this point home. I soon developed a mental list of road warrior comfort food in certain chains that I could count on to help me endure the rigors of travel. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner all depended on certain places to eat. I did not always eat the hotel breakfasts as most of them suck.

I tolerated Subway as backup lunch. The chain is not consistent.

Seeking out local eateries was often a delight but sometimes disastrous. Mexican food in Blytheville, Arkansas is the most striking mistake in my memory since it is the only time I have ever told the manager the meal was so terrible I refused to pay for it since it was totally inedible. The second worst mistake was eating advertised "Grand champion Texas BBQ" in Pleasant Hill, CA. The best steak besides any Ruth's Chris I have eaten was in Walnut Creek, CA at Vic Stewart's. The best Mexican was on vacation 23 years ago in La Jitas, Mexico.

I like the lamb at Outback. Texas Roadhouse does a good rib-eye for a chain. Ruby Tuesday burgers are good when assisted with their strawberry lemonade.

Anygunanywhere