Author Topic: Do you guys think I should tell the news this year that I'm Jewish?  (Read 6302 times)

The Annoyed Man

This is a two part question.

Quick background.  I've mentioned a bunch of times that one of my passions is holiday lights.  I've loved them since I was old enough to walk.  I still have the first blow mold my parents got me when I was 5 or something.  It's actually a collectors piece nowadays.

Anyways, since 2006 I've been doing one thing that I've always wanted to do despite being Jewish: put up a huge holiday lights display.  I can't technically call them Christmas lights, because I'm not Christian, but we all know that's what they are.  Anyways, in 2006 I put up 10-12k lights.  In 2007 I put up 32k lights.  This year the goal is 50k lights.  Planning starts early with these things as you'd imagine.

Anyways, first question.  Do you think it's wrong for me to be putting up lights?  I keep the theme generic with no santa clause (even though technically the modern day image of him is a product of Coca Cola), and of course no baby Jesus or wise men as the local Rabbi would beat me with a Torah if he found out about any of this at all.  I just love lights, I think they're beautiful, and they really just get the holiday spirit going.  I do it partially for myself, but also I do it for the neighborhood, and especially the children.

Last year, the news covered it on TV and in the paper.  I asked them to leave my last name out because I was afraid of what might happen if locals other than my immediate neighbors knew that I wasn't Christian.  I don't want people to feel like I'm "stealing their holiday" (I was accused of this on another forum for holiday light enthusiasts).  I have a lot of respect for what a wonderful holiday Christmas has become.  I LOVED how after the display got media coverage, so many people came to see the lights last year.  The smiles on both the adults and childrens' faces was priceless and made all of the hard work and countless hours put into getting the whole thing up and running worth every second of it.

This year, I'm fairly certain the display will get TV and newspaper attention again.

So my questions:

1) Is it wrong for me to be doing this?
2) Do you think it would be a massive mistake if I let them print or announce my last name which would make it obvious that I'm Jewish?

and I hope nobody is angry with me that I am into this whole thing.  I really don't want you to think I'm trying to steal your holiday.  I'm just trying to partake in one element of your wonderful holiday.  It gives me an opportunity to be creative, and more importantly, it gives me an opportunity to do something that adults and children alike can get enjoyment out of.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: Do you guys think I should tell the news this year that I'm Jewish?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 06:55:53 PM »
I think you need to spend less time worrying about what others will think of you.  Do what you enjoy, and don't worry about the rest.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 07:00:01 PM »
1) Is it wrong for me to be doing this?

Of course not. I think it's great that you enjoy putting that much hard work into something. I've always enjoyed the light setups during Christmas time

2) Do you think it would be a massive mistake if I let them print or announce my last name which would make it obvious that I'm Jewish?

I'm of the opinion that it's a mistake to talk to the press at all, but that has nothing to do with your situation. For me, it's born out of cynicism from the press coverage of guns and general aviation, two activities that I dearly love and participate in.

Anybody that thinks you are "stealing" their holiday is full of crap. They need to be smacked around, obviously.

I don't want people to feel like I'm "stealing their holiday" (I was accused of this on another forum for holiday light enthusiasts)

Buffoons, the lot of them.

I say go ahead and do whatever the hell you want, and not to give a damn about lesser being's opinions.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 07:00:37 PM »
When they go on sale at the end of the summer, go buy nine patio torches.  Cut the bottom 10" off eight of them.  Fill another one with lamp oil each night.  Light.

If you're looking to impress the neighbors fire beats LEDs every time.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 07:12:48 PM »
As a Christian, I am offended that you would defile our holiday with your unbelieving light display. 

In retaliation, I will take my meals in a sukkah, during your holy day later this fall.   angry  angry  angry

That'll teach you, sonny.  Tongue
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 07:19:15 PM »
Anyways, in 2006 I put up 10-12k lights.  In 2007 I put up 32k lights.  This year the goal is 50k lights. 

I just want the name of your electric company so that I can buy some of their stock...... cool

As far as the rest.  Who cares.  This is America, as long as your not hurting anyone do what makes you happy.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 07:48:42 PM »
Maybe a big light up star of David will give them a hint laugh Or a big Menorah. Hanukkah light display?
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 07:52:07 PM »
I don't want people to feel like I'm "stealing their holiday"
If their entire faith is swayed by a light display, they might want to rethink their life anyway. I seriously doubt a bunch of bloodthirsty Christians is going to invade your home and burn you on a stake for having a light display. As long as you don't have Muhammad on a donkey you should be fine with everyone. Except for that small bunch of militant atheists that want to ruin it for everyone.
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 08:24:23 PM »
Stick a Menorrah in there somewhere and call 'em Hannukah lights.

After all, you DO put up a "Hannukah bush" in your living room for the holidays ... don't you?

Don't worry about "stealing" the Christian holiday. We Christians stole it from the Druids and Celts anyway. You may not be aware that most serious astrologers think Jesus was born either in February or April, not December 25th. The December date was chosen to celebrate the birth of Jesus because the Celts and Druids celebrate the winter solstice on the shortest day of the year (December 21st), so it was convenient for the early Christian church to co-opt an existing holiday and call it something else.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 08:29:49 PM »
Stick a Menorrah in there somewhere and call 'em Hannukah lights.

After all, you DO put up a "Hannukah bush" in your living room for the holidays ... don't you?

Don't worry about "stealing" the Christian holiday. We Christians stole it from the Druids and Celts anyway. You may not be aware that most serious astrologers think Jesus was born either in February or April, not December 25th. The December sate was chosen to celebrate the birth of Jesus because the Celts and Druids celebrate the winter solstice on the shortest day of the year (December 21st), so it was convenient for the early Christian church to co-opt an existing holiday and call it something else.
I thought we stole Christmas from the Romans and their Saturnalia holiday.  Am I mistaken?

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 11:38:27 PM »
on a side note, we loved this song as kids.

Moses Ritooraliay lyrics

MOSES RI-TOORAL-I-AY
(Brain O'Higgins)
The policeman walked out, oh, so proud on his beat
When a vision came to him of stripes on his sleeve;
"Promotion," he whispered, "I'll try for today,
So its come with me Mister Ri-tooral-i-ay."
"Come tell me your name," says the limb of the law
To the little fat man selling wares on the straw.
"What's that, sir? Me name, sir? Why it's there on display
And it's Moses Ri-tooral-i-ooral-i-ay."
Now, the trial it came on and it lasted a week.
One judge said 'twas German; another, 'twas Greek-
"Prove you're lrish," said the policeman "and beyond it say nay;
And we'll sit on it, Moses Ri-tooral-i-ay."
Now the prisoner stepped up there as stiff as a crutch.
"Are you lrish or English or German or Dutch?"
"I'm a Jew, sir; I'm a Jew, sir," that came over to stay.
And my name it is Moses Ri-tooral-i-ay."
"We're two of a kind." said the judge to the Jew;
"You're a cousin of Briscoe and I am one too.
This numbskull has blundered and for it will pay."
"Wisha that's right," says Moses Ri-tooral-i-ay.
There's a garbage eollcctor who works down our strset;
He once was a policeman, the pride of his beat.
And he moans all the night and he groans all the day,
Singing," Moses Ri-tootal-i-ooral-i-ay. "
Note: This reflects on the period when the Irish language was
outlawed in Ireland; the inability of the police to speak, or
even recognize the language presented enforcement problems.
Briscoe was Dublin's mayor. He was Jewish. (As the story
goes, a cop arrested a Jewish guy, because he mistook Hebrew for Irish/Gaelic)
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 11:49:46 PM »
You can put the lights up but only if you promise to remove their covers after eight days have passed.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 12:12:02 AM »
I think you are a free man.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 01:11:57 AM »
....only if the Zionist currently ruling the world give you permission.....

laugh
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 02:07:38 AM »
I thought the whole Christmas tree thing was German in origin and was borrowed from winter solstice stuff.  I thought I heard that the tree wasn't big here until the early 1900's except for certain groups.  Of course, a lot of the commercialization of the holidays started in the early 1900's with the big department stores.  With so many different groups in those cities, traditions get mixed up fast I guess. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 02:25:42 AM »
I seriously doubt a bunch of bloodthirsty Christians is going to invade your home and burn you on a stake for having a light display.

You were at our emergency meeting last night?  Yeah, the motion to burn at the stake nearly passed, but it was derailed at the last minute.  I think we ended up voting for the rack, didn't we?

You may not be aware that most serious astrologers think Jesus was born either in February or April, not December 25th.

There are serious astrologers now?   cheesy
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 02:58:35 AM »
Just leave em up and light em all year round! Or I was thinking you could drop the berg or the feld, whatever, from your name, but that rarely fools anybody.  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2008, 03:18:55 AM »
Just leave em up and light em all year round!

Now that would just be wrong.  cheesy
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2008, 03:25:39 AM »
Even the Godless Communists [tm] retained the tree.

It's even used in Israel - for the New Year's Eve.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 03:30:19 AM »
wow.  totally different replies here than at that holiday light enthusiast forum.

Over there you would have thought that I had committed some crime that would have made even Jeffrey Dahmer blush.

Thanks for the replies.  I feel more at ease about the whole thing now.

btw - if you want to buy stock in FPL, go for it.  Last year with 32k lights the power bill just for the light display was $1k.  This year it will probably be about $1.75k I'm guessing with the 18k extra lights plus the increased cost of power lately.

Honestly, I've done the math.  Quitting smoking pays for almost the whole thing amazingly enough.

In the past occasionally my family put up a tree and decorated it blue and white.  It's been a while I think.

My understanding of the Christmas tree origin and the origin of Christmas lights is that originally the Greeks decorated trees to celebrate life.  That concept was carried over into Christmas.  Martin Luther was wandering in the woods one day and saw the stars through the trees in the forest (not sure if this was before he essentially founded Lutheranism and the subsequent Protestant Reformation).  He liked how it looked.  So he came up with the idea of putting candles in what had then become the Christmas tree.  Obviously, that resulted in a fair number of houses burning down, so after Edison invented the light bulb, Westinghouse came out almost immediately with electric string lights to replace the candles in the Christmas tree.  Then people eventually figured out that they didn't just have to go in the Christmas tree..... and holiday light displays were born.  This is vaguely what I remember from Religious Studies 101 at college.  Bear in mind it was an 8 AM class, so I wasn't fully conscious.

My family loves the way the display looks and like that I've kept it generically themed.  Candy canes are about as religious as it gets as their origin refers to the canes of the wise-men.  The only things my parents pray about is that the Rabbi doesn't find out because we're pretty sure he would quite literally beat me with a Torah.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2008, 05:50:23 AM »
You wouldn't be the first Jew I know of who has done this.

Hannukah is, after all, the festival of lights, right?

So put up some lights.

When I was in college I took a group of us to a local Christmas tree farm to get a tree for the house.

One of the guys was Jewish.

As we were talking through the area where the new trees, only about 2 feet tall, had been planted, he looked around and said "I should get 9 of these and burn one a night."
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2008, 05:54:53 AM »
"I thought we stole Christmas from the Romans and their Saturnalia holiday.  Am I mistaken?"

Silly man.

The Founding Fathers celebrated the first Christmas on December 25, 1776, in celebration of George Washington's victory over the Hessians.

It's a patriotic American holiday.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2008, 06:15:31 AM »
I am a big proponent of "keeping Christ is Christmas."

That said, this is America.  If you love yourself a light display, knock yourself out.  Your property, your lights, your electricity bills.  Just don't hack off your neighbors too much, as they are your neighbors and you have to live next to them all year long.

In return, just don't get all bent outta shape when we invite messianic Jews to our church to celebrate Passover and how it & Christ are linked.

Here is a question for yourself:

Does it really matter that the press knows your name or religion?

IMO, it is almost always a Bad Thing for ordinary folks' names & information to be printed in the paper & nothing good comes of it. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2008, 07:34:47 AM »
Do you think it's wrong for me to be putting up lights?

Yes, it's terribly wrong!  angry

Think about all the carbon that you are tracking all over the carpet with your shoes, and the global war-- er, climate change, and melting ice caps, and baby seals dying from sunburn  shocked
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2008, 07:42:18 AM »
Do you think it's wrong for me to be putting up lights?

Yes, it's terribly wrong!  angry

Think about all the carbon that you are tracking all over the carpet with your shoes, and the global war-- er, climate change, and melting ice caps, and baby seals dying from sunburn  shocked
You mean they'll be fried when we go to club them? Awesome!