Author Topic: Tropical Storm Fay  (Read 2019 times)

yesitsloaded

• friends
Tropical Storm Fay
« on: August 17, 2008, 11:36:40 AM »
I'm back at school (120 miles farther inland) so I'm not too worried about me but this thing looks like it could cut west and become the next Katrina.
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

anygunanywhere

Re: Tropical Storm Fay
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 04:22:09 PM »
Nah.

Florida bound. The Everglades need refilling.

Anygunanywhere

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 04:37:15 PM »
I hope we get some heavy rains up here in SC...we need it very bad...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 05:02:12 PM »
Hopefully it's big enough to disturb the drought we've got going up here near the great lakes.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 03:08:41 AM »
Really looks like the leftovers are going  to gostraight up the eastern seaboard. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 03:25:37 AM »
Looks like I'm glad to be wrong.
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 03:27:37 AM »

As much as I don't enjoy seeing other people suffering....it disgusts me that we're putting money into saving NOLA.....it should be given back to the sea as a sacrifice to Neptune.  Another Katrina would certainly help with that. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 03:36:21 AM »
My mom lives in the Tampa Bay area.

The TBA has been pretty charmed, hurricane-wise.  No direct or glancing blows in decades, only Elena sat in the Gulf nearby for a while before it decided to go elsewhere.

Geography and weather patterns make the TBA about the LEAST likely place for a 'cane to make a direct hit.  Usually the worst they get it is when the other coast takes it in the face & TBA gets the hind end.

I told mom she was welcome to stay with us if her condo was blown away.  Most likely scenario is that she will have sustained more damage from her upstairs neighbor's busted pipe last week than she will from Fay.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 02:26:09 PM »

As much as I don't enjoy seeing other people suffering....it disgusts me that we're putting money into saving NOLA.....it should be given back to the sea as a sacrifice to Neptune.  Another Katrina would certainly help with that. 

Yup...... too bad it's a "chocolate city" so we have to flush millions on it or be "racist."  rolleyes
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 03:56:10 PM »
Even though it looks like it won't be all that big of a deal over here in Ft. Lauderdale, I put up all the shutters for the house.

You think living in a huge house on the ocean is nice?  Remember that for the 60+ doors/windows, each one has shutter panels that go into place by hand.  Only a few are accordion style and even those you need to go up a 24 ft ladder to get to.  Having balconies is nice, but when the shutters are up, you have to climb over the rails and go down via a ladder.... and don't even get me started on walking on the roof 30+ feet in the air while it's raining to close the few that are accessible up there!  My family used to have somebody they hired do it (a close family friend actually who had worked for my grandparents and my parents over 30 years or so), but he just moved to another state.  My father has a bad leg and couldn't even make it through 45 minutes of exercise recently, and my mother can barely lift an 8 lb dumbell.  So who does that leave?  ME!

I'm ok with that and would even say that I'm happy to do it, but it would have been nice if I didn't have to do it all in the rain.  It's scary being high up on ladders while it's raining, or being on the roof while it's raining.  While I wear a harness, I don't trust it 100%.

In any case, 2 days of work later + a dozen changes of clothing and it's done.  Everything is closed, locked, and hammered in place..... and I'm exhausted.  I hope this storm doesn't hit us, but if it does, at least I'm ready.

For any South Floridians, I only have access to 2m and 440 right now, but if you want to get on a local repeater for either of those bands, let me know.