Author Topic: Me thinks the Brits have a bit of an identity crisis...  (Read 3345 times)

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Me thinks the Brits have a bit of an identity crisis...
« on: August 24, 2008, 05:34:17 PM »
First the turn in B'atleths to the coppers....

This horrifying five-foot weapon has been recovered by police during a knife amnesty.

The three-handled sword with a blade at either end, designed to be swung like a paddle, shocked officers who took custody of it.

They are using it to publicise a five-week amnesty during which they hope around 30,000 weapons will be handed in, mainly from youngsters.

A spokesman for police in Gloucester, where it was surrendered, said: "It is a particularly nasty weapon that can, literally, take someone's head off. We are very glad it is off the streets and we want more weapons handed in."

The blade is believed to be a stainless-steel copy of a Klingon weapon used in the science fiction series Star Trek. "It's an extremely dangerous weapon," said a martial arts expert last night...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-387680/Lethal-Star-Trek-blade-seized-knives-amnesty.html#

Then they go on Holiday and behave like Klingons....

“They scream, they sing, they fall down, they take their clothes off, they cross-dress, they vomit,” Malia’s mayor, Konstantinos Lagoudakis, said in an interview. “It is only the British people — not the Germans or the French.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/24/world/europe/24crete.html?_r=2&oref=login&ref=todayspaper&pagewanted=all&oref=slogin
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Standing Wolf

• friend
Re: Me thinks the Brits have a bit of an identity crisis...
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 05:48:30 PM »
Next thing you know, the English police will start whining about metal spoons.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 05:54:26 PM »
The UK needs an intervention. Now.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 06:18:42 PM »
Damn. After all those decades in the wildest parts of Africa, now the Brits themselves have gone native.

And that's terrible.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 06:27:50 PM »
As regards the completely smashed sorts, yes, I'd heard this before in recent years. That in a lot of the holiday countries, Britons are considered a sort of free ATM. Just find one passed out face down in the middle of a public plaza, and take the euros or pounds from their wallet, they won't even notice.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 08:22:07 PM »
[worf voice]IT IS A GOOD DAY TO TURN IN YOUR WEAPONS AND ACT LIKE A PUSSY![/worf voice]
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 09:21:56 PM »
[worf voice]IT IS A GOOD DAY TO TURN IN YOUR WEAPONS AND ACT LIKE A PUSSY![/worf voice]

This needs to be made into a poster somehow, yet I am nowhere near creative enough to make it work.

יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 02:36:30 AM »
And bananas.
7-11 was a part time job.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 03:24:58 AM »
And bananas.

Those are dangerous.  they can get stuck in your ear and make you deaf.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 05:03:44 AM »
Ohhh, fresh fruit not good enough for ya? grin

Leave it to the Scots to whine about a piece of metal with an edge on it.  No wonder we whipped them. grin
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 05:09:03 AM »
And bananas.

Those are dangerous.  they can get stuck in your ear and make you deaf.

BANANA PHONE!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 05:22:42 AM »
Ohhh, fresh fruit not good enough for ya? grin

Leave it to the Scots to whine about a piece of metal with an edge on it.  No wonder we whipped them. grin

You didn't whip them, the ones with any gumption moved to America where they defiantly park their cars on cinderblocks on their unmowed front lawns Tongue
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

TF_FH

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 05:24:31 AM »

This needs to be made into a poster somehow, yet I am nowhere near creative enough to make it work.
I found a picture that would seem to fit, but to put the wording in properly so that it won't be completely stupid I don't know how to do.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 06:25:57 PM »
When I was stationed in Baumholder  police, the BAOR (British Army of the Rhine) used to come down about once a year to train.  The town prepared like a hurricane was about to hit. 

And hit it did. 

Once they were done training and given passes into town, all hell broke loose.  Lots of stick time and and "Yeah, I think we can squeeze one more drunk-*expletive deleted*ss Limey into the D-Cell."

I remember standing outside the Metropol Bar as we were waiting for reinforcements/getting ready to go in a break up a Brit riot and a high ranking GP (German Polizei) Officer telling me as "Ve shout have gone on mit the Blitz und den: Invasion....." 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

LAK

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 10:39:20 PM »
The three-handled sword with a blade at either end, designed to be swung like a paddle, shocked officers who took custody of it.
I've had that happen to me walkiing on dept store carpets and touching metal showcase frames.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2008, 01:28:24 AM »
Maybe we can suggest to the African nations that they should send colonists to England to "civilize" the place?.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2008, 05:12:13 AM »
Those that wish to make their own motivational posters can use this link -> http://bighugelabs.com/flickr/motivator.php

You MUST save your picture and upload it to a host like photobucket or imageshack as the original doesn't last very long.

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008, 07:44:31 AM »
I've had that happen to me walkiing on dept store carpets and touching metal showcase frames.

Horray!
Horray!
 cheesy
7-11 was a part time job.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2008, 07:50:01 AM »
Too bad it's only a copy of a Klingon weapon . . . genuine Klingon daggers and bat'leths are for sale at every gun show in Texas.

grin
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain