Author Topic: "Fear Grips Immigrants After Mississippi Sweep"  (Read 2420 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
"Fear Grips Immigrants After Mississippi Sweep"
« on: August 27, 2008, 04:43:53 AM »
Saw this on the front page of MSN this morning.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26419123

LAUREL, Miss. - A day after the largest single-workplace immigration raid in U.S. history, Elizabeth Alegria was too scared to send her son to school and worried about when she'd see her husband again.

Nearly 600 immigrants suspected of being in the country illegally were detained, creating panic among dozens of families in this small southern Mississippi town.

This quote left me shaking my head though....

"We have kids without dads and pregnant mothers who got their husbands taken away," said Velez's son, Robert, youth pastor at the church. "It was like a horror story. They got handled like they were criminals."

Uh, Rev?  Here's a hint for you.  If they're in this country ILLEGALLY, then that's EXACTLY WHAT THEY ARE!

Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: "Fear Grips Immigrants After Mississippi Sweep"
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 04:47:17 AM »
What's with the increase in articles in illegal immigrants being detained or deported?

Is it really a sign that someone has figured it out?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 04:49:47 AM »
Just a little theater before the election then back to business as usual rolleyes undecided
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 05:29:17 AM »
I have actually heard that the Bush administration has been quietly stepping up enforcement at least in some areas.  I have no idea if this is related though.

When you know you are here illegally, I have a hard time building up much sympathy.  I can't believe they weren't prepared for this to happen eventually.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 05:32:12 AM »
"We have kids without dads and pregnant mothers who got their husbands taken away," said Velez's son, Robert, youth pastor at the church. "It was like a horror story. They got handled like they were criminals."

We can't have that!  Go get the kids out of the schools so they don't cost us any more, and get that expectant woman before that new kid is born here, and ship 'em all back where they came from.

That way this youth pastor can sleep soundly at night.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 05:32:50 AM »
Just a little theater before the election then back to business as usual rolleyes undecided

I hope you're wrong, but I fear you're not.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 06:14:10 AM »
You missed some of the more fun quotes from that story. 

Like the ones about MS's new law.

Under the law, a company found guilty of employing illegal immigrants could lose public contracts for three years and the right to do business in Mississippi for a year.

The law also makes it a felony for an illegal immigrant to accept a job in Mississippi.

I hope that's the start of a trend.  If getting caught employing illeagals shut your buisness down for a year, I bet less companies would risk it.

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 06:15:39 AM »
If ICE set up, out side the voting polls in Phoenix and Tucson , Arizona would have the lowest voting rate in 100 years! shocked

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 08:22:36 AM »
If ICE set up, out side the voting polls in Phoenix and Tucson , Arizona would have the lowest voting rate in 100 years! shocked
California, too . . . illegals cost "B-1 Bob" Dornan his House seat. IIRC, a post-election sampling of voting records showed more actual fraudulent votes cast than his opponent's margin of victory, but a judge let the results stand.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain