Author Topic: HBO - Sopranos  (Read 1375 times)

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
HBO - Sopranos
« on: September 21, 2005, 04:48:09 AM »
I just don't get it!

For years I've been hearing about how great the HBO show Sopranos is. SO... Last night I took the plunge and watched it.

WTF! In the first half an hour I watched teenagers get drunk and smoke dope with beer bongs, a naked woman get blown away while she crawled on all fours begging for her life, a guy cheating on his wife, a son telling his mother *expletive deleted*ck you and all the rest.

I'm no prude - I've done my share of bad things in life. BUT! There just seems to me to be something seriously wrong with a show that glorifies a bunch of mafia thugs and their lifestyle.

As a movie or two which showed the true evil of the mafia the Sopranos would be just fine. As a TV show that's run for years and is so popular I think it says a lot about the declining morals of the folks that like this show.

Each to his own I guess. The great thing about TV is one can always turn it off or change the channel.

I'll be changing the channel for now on. The Sopranos is trash TV at its worst.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

mtnbkr

• friend
HBO - Sopranos
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 05:26:30 AM »
Yup, never saw the attraction.

Of course, Deadwood isn't much better, but I love that show (waiting for Season 2 to hit DVD since I don't have cable).

Chris

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
HBO - Sopranos
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 08:06:39 AM »
I concur whole heartedly!  I could never understand the attraction that the Sopranos had for folks.  A buddy is nutso over the series.  Trash TV, like that dren Growning Up Gotti. :barf:

Change the channel, put on Animal Planet or switch to WinAmp visuals for streaming audio.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

thorn

• friend
HBO - Sopranos
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 08:29:31 AM »
you have to really watch the show-

if you get into it, there is NO glorification. you see how Tony is a low life scum on so many levels, how these guys really dont deserve the riches, how screwed up their system is.

watch how sarcastic the shrink is to him, how Tony keeps hitting on her for YEARS and never gets it-
Tony thinks he is god, the shrink knows he is scum.

you have to look beyond the surface.

you also need ot watch it on dvd ands fastforward about half of the soap opera relationship nonsense.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
HBO - Sopranos
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 09:27:00 AM »
+1 for Thorn, but I do have admit that season 4 was horrid and about half season 5.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

thorn

• friend
HBO - Sopranos
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 10:04:29 AM »
season 5 was so bogged down in soap opera.
its gonna be interesting to see 6 though, the feds grabbed so many guys at the end of 5.
im wondering if Tony will land in jail before the series ends.

Ron

HBO - Sopranos
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 02:44:46 PM »
Normally I have to like or care about the charactors in a show to watch it.

The Sopranos some how bypassed this prerequisite with me.

Maybe because I watched all except the last season on DVD.

Thorn nailed it,  they are all losers and scum.  I don't think it glorifies mobsters,  it shows them as the amoral lowlifes they are.

I have known some "connected" people over the years.  Wouldn't want to have anything to do with their world regardless of how lucrative it sounds.