Author Topic: Scaling back the Republican Convention  (Read 5000 times)

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
Scaling back the Republican Convention
« on: August 31, 2008, 02:26:17 PM »
Just read where McCain has ordered the convention scaled back due to Gustav.   Really smart move on his part.  I haven't liked much of what I have seen John do for a long time now, so picking Palin and paying attention to domestic issues is the smartest things he could do, in my biased opinion.

longeyes

• friend
Re: Scaling back the Republican Convention
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 04:46:36 PM »
Two days is plenty.  These events are excuses to get on the road, schmooze, party, and...oh never mind.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 05:31:28 PM »
Given that some out there already look at Republicans as rich fat cats that don't care about the common man, having a big convention party while a hurricane hits wouldn't look very good at all.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 05:49:43 PM »
Two days is plenty.

Actually 25 minutes ought to do the trick.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 06:37:45 PM »
I would prefer a scaled back convention here in St. Paul/Minneapolis. Then we can have our cities back sooner, and the protesters can all go home.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 07:56:57 PM »
I expect we're going to see a lot of coverage, from the Convention, of Republicans In Action.  Jindal isn't coming, but I predict a lot of footage of him doing State of Emergency stuff.  There will be stories about Convention resources instead being donated to emergency shelters.  Done right, it'll make the DNC look excessive and frivolous--to everyone, not just us.  Wink
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 02:26:03 AM »
There will be stories about Convention resources instead being donated to emergency shelters.  Done right, it'll make the DNC look excessive and frivolous--to everyone, not just us.  Wink

I just don't see the Republican leadership, the leadership of my party, doing that.  The pomp and circumstance matter more to them.  It's unfortunate.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 03:24:10 AM »
Wait, wait...

eflatminor

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 05:15:23 AM »
I'd like to see them cancel the convention, not because of the storm, but for financial reasons mostly.  Wouldn't it be refreshing for a political party to say that they've already chosen their candidate, there's no need for the convention, so why waste the taxpayer's money, their member's donations, and time.  Time that could be used to, oh, I don't know, WORK!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 05:19:16 AM »
I'd like to see them cancel the convention, not because of the storm, but for financial reasons mostly.  Wouldn't it be refreshing for a political party to say that they've already chosen their candidate, there's no need for the convention, so why waste the taxpayer's money, their member's donations, and time.  Time that could be used to, oh, I don't know, WORK!

The problem is a lot of that money has already been spent.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 05:21:50 AM »
Conventions bring in money, ans reward the faithful.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 05:30:11 AM »
There are also lots of meetings, work shops, small group speaking engagements, party platform votes, and all sorts of other stuff that takes place behind the scenes.  A lot of that will go on even if they scale back the prime time stuff. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 10:09:58 AM »
Two days of clear competence in handling Gustav is worth a lot more than two days of boring and predictable speeches.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008, 10:45:52 AM »
Two days of clear competence in handling Gustav is worth a lot more than two days of boring and predictable speeches.

Jindal is being incredibly competent. Even when he reads off what's going on to the media, he sounds like he understands every bit of it and is completely in command.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 02:58:51 PM »
Words can be inspiring, actions more so.  McCain is acting Presidential; that will sink in.  Great speeches aren't his thing anyway, and no one is going to elect him for his oratory.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2008, 03:08:22 PM »
Tori Clarke on talk radio this morning also said what was the first thing that I thought when I heard that they were canceling day 1.  It serves to further disconnect McCain/Palin from Bush/Cheney, and in such is not a bad thing.  Yes, 70+% of the delegates at the convention have favorable opinions of GWB, but the fact is that his ratings among the general populace is in the gutter, and will likely remain so.  Appearing at disaster HQ will help with the (R) brand and help McCain.

Hopefully he has energized the base enough with the Palin pick, but he still needs the swings.  Disconnecting from Bush might not be such a bad thing.  Hate to be cynical about Gustav, but you have to admit that someone in DC and the McCain campaign might have been thinking the same thing.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

agricola

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2008, 03:23:39 PM »
Tori Clarke on talk radio this morning also said what was the first thing that I thought when I heard that they were canceling day 1.  It serves to further disconnect McCain/Palin from Bush/Cheney, and in such is not a bad thing.  Yes, 70+% of the delegates at the convention have favorable opinions of GWB, but the fact is that his ratings among the general populace is in the gutter, and will likely remain so.  Appearing at disaster HQ will help with the (R) brand and help McCain.

Hopefully he has energized the base enough with the Palin pick, but he still needs the swings.  Disconnecting from Bush might not be such a bad thing.  Hate to be cynical about Gustav, but you have to admit that someone in DC and the McCain campaign might have been thinking the same thing.

Indeed, I was thinking much the same thing earlier today - the pretty much unanimous opinion amongst the media over this side of the pond is that Gustav is reminding people of "Bush's failure" over Katrina and the US public will end up blaming the Republicans as a result... as if Ray Nagin wasnt a Democratic mayor then, and isnt a Democratic mayor now. 

McCain needs to wait until Gustav is over, then point to how Jindal, allied to bitter-won experience, is the difference between Katrina and Gustav. 
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2008, 05:45:48 PM »
The only bad thing about the convention being postponed/canceled is that I was looking forward to hearing what Fred Thompson had to say tonight.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2008, 04:48:13 AM »
The only bad thing about the convention being postponed/canceled is that I was looking forward to hearing what Fred Thompson had to say tonight.
They should just run video of Fred in full glare for about 15 seconds.  America will know what he means. smiley
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2008, 10:06:13 AM »
I think I saw Fred wll speak tonight.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."