Author Topic: Wal-Mart = Redneck?  (Read 7112 times)

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
Wal-Mart = Redneck?
« on: September 05, 2008, 09:27:27 AM »
I've seen this issue crop up now and then on THR... the notion that Wal-Mart's a haven for 'trailer trash' and the like. I know that in my area, practically everybody goes to Wal-Mart - doctors, lawyers, bricklayers, and so on. I once saw a guy in a three-piece suit and spectator shoes in Wal-Mart. Pretty well heeled for trailer trash, I guess.  grin
Is this a regional thing? Are the 'right kind of people' scared to go to Wal-Mart in some areas for fear of reliving scenes from Deliverance or some such?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Wal-Mart = Redneck?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 09:31:20 AM »
Sometimes.  Most of the time its just people who can't afford to shop at more upscale retailers.  The people around here to frequent Target are certainly usually better dressed and maybe even more concerned with personal hygine than those who frequent walmart.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 09:34:22 AM »
I often call them waddle-marts now, because the normal ratio of healthy weight to slightly overweight vs morbidly obese is entirely skewed to the latter, at least at any I'd gone in to look for ammo sales in the past.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 09:34:55 AM »
Actually, I live in Red Neck Heaven and Wal Mart brought in the upscale Amish and Mennonites, eh? grin
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 09:35:18 AM »
I see all types around here in Walmart.  Personally, I could afford to shop at a "higher end" retailer - but why bother?  On most items th quality of the stuff is the same, but the prices are higher.  undecided

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 09:54:56 AM »
Sometimes.  Most of the time its just people who can't afford to shop at more upscale retailers.  The people around here to frequent Target are certainly usually better dressed and maybe even more concerned with personal hygine than those who frequent walmart.

I've noticed the same exact thing....
One day at a time.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 09:57:12 AM »
Huh.  I should show this thread to Ms. MillCreek.  She doesn't go to Wal-Mart since she is convinced that the typical shopper in this area tends to be obese and on the lower end of the socio-economic scale.  Based solely on superficial personal appearances of our local Wal-Marts, she may be right.  

Having said all that, the local Wal-Marts do have some items and prices not available at other local stores, so I go there on occasion.  Target is our discount retailer of choice, though.  

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 09:58:10 AM »
I see all types around here in Walmart.  Personally, I could afford to shop at a "higher end" retailer - but why bother?  On most items th quality of the stuff is the same, but the prices are higher.  undecided

Bingo.

I've got money. I live comfortably. But I'm not going to piss my money away at higher priced stores just because some people have a negative impression of Wal Mart.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 10:10:19 AM »

Bingo.

I've got money. I live comfortably. But I'm not going to piss my money away at higher priced stores just because some people have a negative impression of Wal Mart.

I'm the same. I usually shop at Walmart because it's the same stuff for cheaper. I make enough to shop elsewhere, but I don't see the point. I don't really care what the store or other customers look like. The only complaint I have about Walmart is that they never have enough cashiers working, so I always have to wait in line. But Target, etc. are just as bad, so there's no point switching over that.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 10:39:38 AM »
My son is seven (soon to be eight)  Mrs Scout used to by his jeans and shirts at places like the Gap and other trendy stores. 

Figure a week to ten days before there are holes in the knees and mud/blood/food stains on the shirts.

Jeans at The Gap $30-$40+, Shirts $12-$20+

Same things at Wal-mart are $10-$15 for jeans and $5-$10 for shirts.  Iron-on knee patches (inside the pants legs are 8 for $1.29.   grin
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 10:45:32 AM »
My son is seven (soon to be eight)  Mrs Scout used to by his jeans and shirts at places like the Gap and other trendy stores. 

Figure a week to ten days before there are holes in the knees and mud/blood/food stains on the shirts.

Same things at Wal-mart are $10-$15 for jeans and $5-$10 for shirts.  Iron-on knee patches (inside the pants legs are 8 for $1.29.   grin

Except clothing manufacturers have a "special version" that's made more cheaply for retailers like Wal-Mart. They demand it. Sometimes it's Wal-Mart's own subcontractors in China, and just given the name label.

It's what they wanted to do with Snapper mowers, put the Snapper name on sheetmetal mowers from China. Snapper said no.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 10:47:07 AM »
Target is our discount retailer of choice, though.

My 401(k) thanks you!   grin
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 10:49:45 AM »

Except clothing manufacturers have a "special version" that's made more cheaply for retailers like Wal-Mart. They demand it. Sometimes it's Wal-Mart's own subcontractors in China, and just given the name label.

It's what they wanted to do with Snapper mowers, put the Snapper name on sheetmetal mowers from China. Snapper said no.

Personally, I've found *no* difference between $35 Levi jeans and $12 Sam's Club "Members mark" jeans.  It's not that the walmart brand are really well made, it's that name brands don't mean what they once did.  Not just in cloths either - you see it all across the board.

(Granted, you do get good quality if you go for a real premium product.  IE: I've heard that Carhart jeans are worth a look, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a $50-$60 price tag on em.)

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 10:50:27 AM »

Same things at Wal-mart are $10-$15 for jeans and $5-$10 for shirts.  Iron-on knee patches (inside the pants legs are 8 for $1.29.   grin

Years ago, I shopped at more upscale stores, but for the past several years, I've been buying day to day clothing at places like Wal-Mart, Target, etc.  I tend to get stuff like jeans, khaki slacks, etc from WM.  Their Wrangler 5 Star khaki fits great and wears like iron.  I have 4 pair, the oldest of which is 3 years old.  For the $17 I paid per pair, that is just fine with me.  The khaki slacks I bought at places like Penneys, A&F, AE Outfitters, etc didn't hold up any better and were as much as twice the price.  I'd rather spend my money on other things.

Chris

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 10:53:05 AM »
I shop where the prices of the item I'm looking for are lowest.  Sometimes its Wal-Mart, sometimes its not.  I always buy my milk at wal-mart, though; they're Great Value brand tastes a hell of a lot better than Safeway's Lucerne brand, and it's usually cheaper.

As for the quality of people who shop there...I've run into my college professors at Wal-Mart.  I've also run into just about every demographic this area currently has.  Yeah, there are a lot of people who could be considered "economically disadvantaged," but so what.   Frankly, not shopping somewhere because you don't like the "quality" of the other people shopping there is asinine.  
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2008, 10:56:53 AM »
Strangely, the most durable jeans I have are from Aeropostale.

I STILL have the pairs from like eight years ago, worn every week, and they will not wear out or even show much wear at all. Even the zippers on the cargo jeans are still working just fine.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2008, 11:01:49 AM »
Personally, I've found *no* difference between $35 Levi jeans and $12 Sam's Club "Members mark" jeans.  It's not that the walmart brand are really well made, it's that name brands don't mean what they once did.  Not just in cloths either - you see it all across the board.

(Granted, you do get good quality if you go for a real premium product.  IE: I've heard that Carhart jeans are worth a look, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a $50-$60 price tag on em.)

I love my Carhartts. ~$40 iirc, but I hate the way most jeans fit. They're one of the few brands I find comfy.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2008, 11:20:39 AM »
Target is so horrible though. They have nothing. No ammo, no tools, no tobacco, bad alcohol selection if any, bad electronics, it's a terrible store. The only thing good about them is the photo center is cheaper than walmart and walmart constantly messes up my photos.

And the photo center at Target is conveniently located at the front of the store, so that's pretty much the only reason I go there. The other day I went to pick up some photos and buy lighter fluid. Like zippo lighter fluid. They didn't have any, they weren't out, they just don't have any. No lighter fluid. Where I come from, we have a word for that.

Phail.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2008, 11:22:28 AM »
WalMart sells 3 liter bottles of wine for $7. I don't like wine, but that stuff is as good as any I've found. Since I no longer drink, I have much less interest in them.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2008, 12:44:56 PM »
It might be regional.

I can definitely see it here in western Michigan, and I think I know why.  Folks are convinced that WalMart always has the lowest prices, and you know what, they probably do.

Thing is, we've had Meijer around here for, well, at least 50 or 60 years.  It's pretty much the same thing as a WalMart with a nice grocery story inside.  Guns, ammo, hardware, clothing, etc.  It's got everything and the prices are pretty darn good.

Meijer has greater penetration in this area.  A Meijer store is 5 minutes from here.  WalMart is 20 minutes.  In fact, I've never lived anywhere in my entire life where a WalMart was closer than a Meijer.

Now, I value my time, and gas costs money, I'm smart enough to realize this, so I always shop at Meijer.

The folks that can't figure that out are all hanging out at WalMart, and it shows.

I'm not saying everybody that shops there is there for this reason, but if you're a high school dropout with 3 kids, a loud mouthed wife wearing clothes 2 sizes too small, and a rather large collection of NASCAR branded clothing, well... I know where to find ya.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2008, 12:49:11 PM »
Back when me and my ex-wife were bringing in six figures a year, we STILL shopped at Wal-Mart......
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2008, 12:59:46 PM »
We shop at WM in order to save money to spend on horse feed  laugh

I dunno what the big deal is - I'm an aerospace software engineer but I'm still a Redneck Tongue
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2008, 01:00:02 PM »
Sometimes, Wal-Mart IS the upscale retailer....when you live in as small & rural an area as I do....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2008, 01:52:07 PM »

Oh yeah, only jeans I'll buy.  Damned near indestructible.  You'll average 30-35 bones a pair around here, but Carharts will be intact long after most other brands will have knee holes, splits, or other defects.  Mine take some serious abuse, and the worst that happens to them is they discolor or get stained.

It was just this year that I had a pair fail while bailing hay, knees finally went.  At that point, they make a fine pair of cutoff shorts.

The one thing I have noticed, is that compared to Sams Choice or other el cheapo brands, Carhart jeans are MUCH heavier, denim wise.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2008, 02:05:15 PM »
I can definitely see it here in western Michigan, and I think I know why.  Folks are convinced that WalMart always has the lowest prices, and you know what, they probably do.

Thing is, we've had Meijer around here for, well, at least 50 or 60 years.  It's pretty much the same thing as a WalMart with a nice grocery story inside.  Guns, ammo, hardware, clothing, etc.  It's got everything and the prices are pretty darn good.

Meijer has greater penetration in this area.  A Meijer store is 5 minutes from here.  WalMart is 20 minutes.  In fact, I've never lived anywhere in my entire life where a WalMart was closer than a Meijer.

Ditto.

Ten minutes east or west to Meijer.  Fifteen minutes north, or west to WM.  Scrips at Target though: their nifty prescription bottle system is actually pretty cool.  Clothes?  Rarely from discount stores.  Old Navy for t-shirts and such, clothing stores on sale/clearance for other things.  Work clothes mostly from Pendleton on clearance: high quality fabrics make the difference.