Author Topic: Barracuda!  (Read 7515 times)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Barracuda!
« on: September 05, 2008, 05:57:10 PM »
Hey, another tangential Palin thread!

Heart is stupid. Seems they are mad at the Republicans for using "Barracuda" for Palin's music. http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/09/05/mccain-palin-embrace-barracuda/

Do they really have much going on right now? They need to be good little capitalists and cut a new video featuring Palin and try to squeeze some cash out of it. But no, gotta be good little leftists.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Barracuda!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 07:26:45 PM »
I'd be awful pissed if I wrote a classic song and some leftist commie pinko "borrowed" it for his hopechangefest.  I think I have a right to license its use with particular products, even if those products are political in nature.

I don't see anything wrong with Heart's stance, other than the fact that THEY are leftist commie pinkos out for a hopechangefest.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 04:58:41 AM »
I definitely think they have a right to their intellectual? property. I think that is the right to make tons of money. But they're too busy being stupid lefties.

AKA Navy Joe   

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 05:07:23 AM »
Meh, never really liked that song anyways...  rolleyes
Avoid cliches like the plague!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 05:25:07 AM »
Bruce Springsteen was P.O.'ed at the use of "Born in the USA" as a patriotic song at political conventions (GOP/Reagan mainly) and perpetually dismayed at how it's generally interpreted as being a patriotic uplifting song by most people. When you actually read the lyrics, it's anything but patriotic, the patriotic powerful refrain is supposed to be sharp contrasty irony to the rest of the lyrics.

Good.  grin

Born down in a dead man's town
The first kick I took was when I hit the ground
You end up like a dog that's been beat too much
'Til you spend half your life just covering up

[chorus:]
Born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.

I got in a little hometown jam
And so they put a rifle in my hands
Sent me off to Vietnam
To go and kill the yellow man

[chorus]

Come back home to the refinery
Hiring man says "Son if it was up to me"
I go down to see the V.A. man
He said "Son don't you understand"

[chorus]

I had a buddy at Khe Sahn
Fighting off the Viet Cong
They're still there, he's all gone
He had a little girl in Saigon
I got a picture of him in her arms

Down in the shadow of the penitentiary
Out by the gas fires of the refinery
I'm ten years down the road
Nowhere to run, ain't got nowhere to go

I'm a long gone Daddy in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
I'm a cool rocking Daddy in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 05:42:56 AM »
Does anyone actually remember all those lyrics?  They only remember the chorus.  Who cares about the rest.  Smiley
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 05:44:18 AM »
I definitely think they have a right to their intellectual? property. I think that is the right to make tons of money. But they're too busy being stupid lefties.

If they pay them for the use of it just like everyone else, do they have a right to tell them to stop?  Just curious how those rules work for that kind of property.  I guess it would be the same if they decided a particular radio station should not play their music.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

280plus

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 06:30:04 AM »

If they pay them for the use of it just like everyone else, do they have a right to tell them to stop?  Just curious how those rules work for that kind of property.  I guess it would be the same if they decided a particular radio station should not play their music.
Depends, did the RNC or the convention center pay someone like ASCAP or whoever covers that tune for it's use? I think once they're out in the public domain anybody can use them as long as royalties are paid. I'm not sure if an artist can prevent the use of their material if the proper channels are followed. 

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 07:42:38 AM »
did the RNC or the convention center pay someone like ASCAP or whoever covers that tune for it's use?

Isn't it something like 7.5 cents ($0.075) per play/performance Huh?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 09:10:53 AM »
According to an article in today's Seattle Times, the Wilson sisters (who were born, raised and live in the Seattle area), say that 'Barracuda' is a metaphor for how difficult it is for women to break into the rock music business.  'Barracuda' refers not to the fish, but to the music business itself.  This article in Slate explains that as long as licensing fees are paid, and the song is not used in an ad without their permission, Heart has little recourse:  http://www.slate.com/id/2199492/&GT1=38001

Here are the lyrics:

So this ain't the end- I saw you again - today
I had to turn my heart away
You smiled like the sun- kisses for real
And tales- it never fails!

You're lying so low in the weeds
I bet you're gonna ambush me
You'd have me down, down, down, down on my knees
Now wouldn't you, barracuda?

OH!

Back over time when we were all trying for free
You met the porpoise and me
No right, no wrong, you're selling a song- a name
Whisper game

And if the real thing don't do the trick
You better make up something quick
You gonna burn, burn, burn, burn, burn it to the wick
Ooooh, barracuda!

OH!

'Sell me sell you' the porpoise said
Dive down deep down, deeper than
You.. I think that you got the blues too

All that night and all the next
Swam without looking back
Made for the western pools- silly, silly fools!

The real thing don't do the trick, no?
You better make up something quick
You gonna burn, burn, burn, burn, burn it to the wick
Ahh, barra- barracuda!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 09:18:07 AM »
The McCain campaign is reported to have paid all licensing and royalties for use of the song. I'm afraid Anne and Nancy are just out of luck.
I wonder why that article chose to show an older picture of them instead of this?

Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

280plus

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 01:14:46 PM »
Don't blink or she'll be the next one doing jenny craig commercials, "Have you called Jenny yet?"

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 01:18:23 PM »
Way back in the mid 80's right after I got out of the Navy I spent some time at a TV station as an engineer. We had a huge room full of movies that no royalty fees need be paid when we broadcast them. Reason - copyright ran out after 25 years of so and they entered the public domain.

Is music different? Copyright Laws changed since then?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2008, 01:56:38 PM »
Way back in the mid 80's right after I got out of the Navy I spent some time at a TV station as an engineer. We had a huge room full of movies that no royalty fees need be paid when we broadcast them. Reason - copyright ran out after 25 years of so and they entered the public domain.

Is music different? Copyright Laws changed since then?

Inquiring minds want to know.

So long as the artist(s) who created the work is/are alive, the copyright remains.  After that, I believe its 75 years until it enters public domain (used to be 25; no longer, thanks to Disney).  During that time their heirs/the owners of the copyright can milk it for all its worth.

It's different for trademarks and patents. 
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2008, 05:36:38 PM »
I like Heart. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2008, 06:21:57 PM »
I knew it!

Your fault. 
AKA Navy Joe   

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2008, 07:25:23 PM »
AJ, I remember when Ronald Reagan started talking about Springsteen's "Born in the USA" as a positive song. I'd wished there was a direct line to the White House to tell him to stop before he made a fool of himself.

I'm sure there's a way for musicians to have clauses written into their contracts that allow them to dictate where their songs can be played. Too bad for the Wilson girls if they didn't think about that.

And I'm certain that Chrissie Hines of The Pretenders goes nuts every time Rush Limbaugh has the intro music for his show.

Stevie-Ray

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2008, 08:12:35 PM »
Crap what do they know? The only good song they ever did was Alone
On Sarah Palin.....The screeching moonbats, whose daily lives are a swamp of discontent, fault finding, anger, angst and every other dark emotion embraced by the left, can't stand to see someone who is normal and enjoying life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.....grampster

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2008, 10:18:28 PM »
AJ, I remember when Ronald Reagan started talking about Springsteen's "Born in the USA" as a positive song. I'd wished there was a direct line to the White House to tell him to stop before he made a fool of himself.

I'm sure there's a way for musicians to have clauses written into their contracts that allow them to dictate where their songs can be played. Too bad for the Wilson girls if they didn't think about that.

And I'm certain that Chrissie Hines of The Pretenders goes nuts every time Rush Limbaugh has the intro music for his show.

Bruce Hornsby has several times expressed his dismay at Sean Hannity using part of "That's The Way It Is" as theme music for his show. Nothing Bruce can do about it, Sean paid for its use.

I read somewhere recently that Jackson Browne got his jock in a knot over some non-Leftist using one of his songs in the same way.
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2008, 01:45:08 AM »
Crap what do they know? The only good song they ever did was Alone
Where's the barf amiley?  laugh

Their first album "Annie" is the best, a friggin' classic. The second one (with Barracuda on it) wasn't bad. "Dog and Butterfly" isn't bad either. After that they went pop and began to suck bad. Just Like Billy Joel.  grin

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2008, 03:59:57 AM »
When was the last time that song was played for such a large audience, esp. in a way that may stimulate people to buy/download their music and help the group earn a few cents of royalty?.....

I'm just surprised the Wilson sisters were sober enough to notice.....  rolleyes
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2008, 04:47:42 AM »
Bruce Hornsby has several times expressed his dismay at Sean Hannity using part of "That's The Way It Is" as theme music for his show.

I would think anyone who's ever listened to Hannity is dismayed to hear him play that song.  Some things should really, really be left in the eighties.    sad
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2008, 05:10:49 AM »
""Dog and Butterfly" isn't bad either."

Sorry, 280plus, but that song drives me out of my mind. It could have been written in the 60's.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2008, 05:27:21 AM »
""Dog and Butterfly" isn't bad either."

Sorry, 280plus, but that song drives me out of my mind. It could have been written in the 60's.

It probably was.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2008, 05:43:46 AM »
Drink a few Bacardi and Cokes, it'll sound better.  laugh

The whole album not the tune... although I do like the tune. I think it's got some nice vocal harmonies. The girl could sing in her day.