Author Topic: Tomorrow is the day: quit smoking  (Read 7861 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Tomorrow is the day: quit smoking
« on: September 06, 2008, 01:26:12 PM »
My wife and I set a date to quit smoking, and it's tomorrow. Tomorrow will be two months since I started taking Welbutrin, the timeline my doctor recommended for getting the drug fully into my system.

My wife isn't taking Welbutrin, though. She's going to try just the patch. I'm going with the patch, and nicotine inhalers to help with the hand-to-mouth habit.

As we prepared for quitting, I reduced my smoking from five packs a day down to about three. My wife went from about two down to one or less.

This should be interesting. I'll be going from roughly 300 milligrams of nicotine a day to 75 or so (21 from the patch and another 48 to 60 from the inhalers).

This is the first time in 40+ years that either of us have tried to quit.

Should make for an interesting time. At least I'm not trying to quit and run for president at the same time, like Obama. Wink

grampster

• friend
Re: Tomorrow is the day: quit smoking
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 01:46:06 PM »
Judas Priest!!  How can you smoke 5 packs a day and not have coughed up your lungs 20 years ago? shocked

Wife quit cold turkey, 2 pack a day habit, 25 years ago.

I smoked about a pack a day since I was in my teens and then started cutting down over a period of about 5 years.  Smoked maybe 2-3 a day then one or 2 when I drank some booze, to quitting entirely a couple years ago.  I even survived 3 weeks in Key West this last Jan/Feb and didn't smoke at all except for puffing on a cigar one night around the pool with a friend while we polished off a bottle of Crown Royal.  If you are trying to quit smoking KW is NOT a place to be.  The outside air even smells like tobacco.  Torture, but I made it.

Quitting is deciding not to smoke.  Thinking about nicotine and analyzing things like that won't work.  You just gotta wanna quit and forget about it.  Your willpower is stronger than the tobacco if you really decide to quit.

Dick, Good Luck!!!
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 03:53:11 PM »
The whole "tomorrow" thing is a wuss's way of getting that last blast under your belt.  If you're going to quit do it now.  Right now.  This very instant.  Otherwise don't bother.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 04:24:04 PM »
All life consists of is a long chain of tomorrows.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 06:21:13 PM »
Holly Crap Batman 5 packs a day.  shocked
I don't even feel guilty about the half a pack a day anymore.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 06:26:24 PM »
Sorry to disagree with you guys on this one. I've read numerous studies, and the percentages of people who successfully quit. Cold turkey is at the bottom. The more aids involved, the higher the success rate.

I don't care if I'm a "wuss" or not. Going from 5 packs a day to zero wouldn't be easy for anyone. I'll try every cheat I can get.

I'm coming up on my one-year anniversary of quitting drinking. That I did on the spot, but I wasn't anywhere near as addicted to alcohol as to cigarettes.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 06:29:56 PM »
Monkeyleg, you know better than anyone how addictive the stuff is, and I agree-it's not just a matter of willing; most folks need some help to do it. 

Good luck and it sounds like you've got the commitment and the program to do it.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 06:39:03 PM »
Good luck.  Remember that quitting takes time and that it isn't an all-or-nothing thing.  Every day you don't smoke is good. 

I quit three years ago this week, with a couple of intervening setbacks during a couple of exam weeks, but I think that smoking about three packs in that three years is a heckuva lot better than the 1368 or so I would've smoked if I hadn't quit.

And fifteen bucks sure beats $6340

I had tried previous with patches, but was not successful.  Cold turkey worked for me, but I had the added incentive of pregnancy.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 07:17:39 PM »
I know really strong-willed, macho guys who've quit many, many times. My BIL comes to mind. I know other people who don't appear to be as strong who've quit on the spot.

Even with all of the aids, the odds favor a relapse. I'm going to fight any urges, though.

When I first saw my addiction counselor to stop drinking nearly a year ago, he wanted to put me in detox for a week. I asked him to give me one week on my own, and to consult with the M.D. who's been involved with all this. The M.D. was skeptical, but agreed. He gave me the warning signs for seizures, and advice on food and beverages (lots of lemonade and orange juice).

It was a cakewalk. Neither the counselor nor the M.D. could believe it then, and they still can't figure it out today. When I told them that years ago I just walked away from a two-pot-a-day coffee addiction, they started to think that maybe my will is stronger than they suspected. When I told them I walked away from pot, hash and other such drugs in 1976, they couldn't believe that, either.

So, who knows? Maybe I'll beat it on the first try, or maybe not. Having lost my oldest brother to emphysema just two months ago, and with another brother going down with the disease now, I've got a lot of motivation.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 07:30:25 PM »
i'm in the process of losing my lil bro to emphysema. good job quitting. i had an easytime with cigs  res[pratory intensive care unit helped. pot was the hardest for me  its different for different folks but the mechanics of addiction and beating it are the same
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 07:41:29 PM »
Good luck to ya!

The M.D. was skeptical, but agreed. He gave me the warning signs for seizures, and advice on food and beverages (lots of lemonade and orange juice).
Why the lemonade?

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 07:47:22 PM »
Good luck to ya!

The M.D. was skeptical, but agreed. He gave me the warning signs for seizures, and advice on food and beverages (lots of lemonade and orange juice).
Why the lemonade?

Probably for the Vitamin C.

Good luck to ya.  Whenever getting a health assesement in the military they ask me if I want to stop smoking cigars.  Answer is always no. laugh
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 08:19:26 PM »
Lemonade, orange juice and other fruit juices for natural sugars. A lot of recovering alcoholics go for candy, but the processed sugar is a poor substitute.

"...its different for different folks but the mechanics of addiction and beating it are the same."

Yep. Giving up pot was easy. Of course, I had a really bad LSD trip that convinced me that drugs weren't fun anymore.

I suspect the most important component of giving up any addiction is hitting bottom, and everyone has a different bottom. Alcoholics, crack addicts, gambling junkies, potheads, cigarette smokers...doesn't matter. My brother smoked right up until a few weeks before he died. He even lit up a cigarette while having his oxygen tank on, and it blew up in his face.

I have a BIL who's hit every bottom I could imagine and keeps going lower. He's now reduced to living in homeless shelters, being almost completely shunned by his family, and doesn't have any contact with his children.

Thank God my bottoms have been pretty shallow so far.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2008, 09:15:03 PM »
The whole "tomorrow" thing is a wuss's way of getting that last blast under your belt.  If you're going to quit do it now.  Right now.  This very instant.  Otherwise don't bother.

Brad

Damn man! Who pissed in your Cheerios this week? At least he's doing it. Just because it doesn't meet your schedule doesn't make it any less likely to succeed. rolleyes

Dick, good luck to you and you use anything you can to help you quit. It's the best thing I ever did for myself.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 01:45:47 AM »
Is it tomorrow yet?  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2008, 03:41:00 AM »
Keep us posted, Dick.  It is likely to be tough, but stay the course.  Good luck.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2008, 03:54:27 AM »
Good luck again.  It's tomorrow.  Don't shortchange your willpower, Dick.  I've been reading your posts for several years now.  You show a good deal of it.

If you persist with this journey as you have with your website, you will win.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

djw

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2008, 05:52:03 AM »
After smoking 2 packs of straight camels for 39 years I became convinced that I needed to quit. Found a local chapter of Nicotine Anonymous and attended meetings until I felt strong enough to keep on keeping on. Now it is just over 11 years without any cigarettes or tobacco products. Just don't smoke no matter what. You will have to accept being somewhat uncomfortable for a while.
Best of luck. Dave

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2008, 07:42:52 AM »
It's tomorrow.  How many packs have you smoked today?

J/K!  Best luck man!

I'm going on a diet myself.

Starting tomorrow.
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2008, 08:20:20 PM »
I wish you success.  smiley
For entertainment purposes only.

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2008, 12:32:40 AM »
Something that helped me quit was chewing a lot of gum.  Also, the realization that if I took a single drag that I'd be smoking again.  No cheating for me, I've not smoked for 5 years now.  Knowing that you're going to get hit really freaking hard by those cravings, and managing to have the willpower to just brute force your way through it. 

The fact that I started quitting with a 3 day hangover that made me vomit every time I smoked likely helped too.   grin
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2008, 04:19:13 AM »
"The fact that I started quitting with a 3 day hangover that made me vomit every time I smoked likely helped too."

Yeah, I could see where that would be motivational. Cheesy

So far, so good. I thought I'd go through 12-16 inhaler cartridges yesterday, but only went through six. So that's ~45 mg's of nicotine yesterday versus my usual 300. I'll cut back on the cartridges over the next few weeks.

No strong cravings to smoke, but I find myself going through the motions: reaching into my pocket, looking at where my pack of cigs would ordinarily be, expecting an ashtray to be on the table. When I realize what I'm doing, I just tell myself, "oh, yeah. I don't do that anymore."

I think getting the Welbutrin to build up for two months helps, as do the patches and inhalers. My wife is going with patches only, and she was ready to give up yesterday after being awake for just an hour. I'm trying to motivate her by reminding her of all the reasons we both need to quit: the outrageous cost ($1100 a month), the smell, the yellowing of everything in the house, our health, etc. And I use the "big one:" if she wants to fulfill her lifelong dream of moving to the South (eta spring 2010), we have to quit smoking in order to finish everything to put our house on the market.

When the urge hits me, I think about all of the above, but I also think about my brother, how he suffered for the last several years, and how godawful he looked when he died.

I expect my father to die at any time. It could be today, or it could be weeks or a few months. That's going to be a real test of my willpower.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2008, 04:27:04 AM »

No strong cravings to smoke, but I find myself going through the motions: reaching into my pocket,

Maybe place a mouse trap in said pocket to cut down on that motion?

grin

Good luck...keep it going....
One day at a time.

Dope

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2008, 04:31:00 AM »
I mean this in the most non-sarcastic way possible, but what kind of damage are you looking at right now? I gotta imagine, 40+ years of 5 packs a day (!!) has to have some huge implications. Does quitting now actually reverse any part of that damage? Or are you just preventing new problems? Just curious, honestly.

Dope

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2008, 04:43:30 AM »
i'm in the process of losing my lil bro to emphysema. good job quitting. i had an easytime with cigs  res[pratory intensive care unit helped. pot was the hardest for me  its different for different folks but the mechanics of addiction and beating it are the same

My mom's got emphysema. That's some bad *expletive deleted*it, right there. Bad way to die, really long and dragged out, with your breath just getting shorter and shorter.

I mean this in the most non-sarcastic way possible, but what kind of damage are you looking at right now? I gotta imagine, 40+ years of 5 packs a day (!!) has to have some huge implications. Does quitting now actually reverse any part of that damage? Or are you just preventing new problems? Just curious, honestly.

For some people, they aren't affected like others. Take my father for example. Chain smoker in the past (used to be in construction. Now, not quite as bad, but still smokes. No effects. Mom, quite about 10 years ago. Emphysema set in a few years after that.

Dope
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!