Author Topic: Maybe they Really are GREEDY SOB's  (Read 4523 times)

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
Maybe they Really are GREEDY SOB's
« on: September 09, 2008, 04:58:22 AM »
Price per barrel of oil has been hovering around $107 to $114 for a while now.

Last time it was that low price per gallon in OK bounced between $2.60 and $2.90.

Now it's bouncing between $3.55 and $3.75.

Price isn't going down.

Maybe the Oil Companies really are GREEDY SOB's!

Or maybe the goobermint want's the price that high and is doing goobermint stuff to keep it there.

Or maybe at $107/barrel other countries of the world are snatching the oil up quicker than we can and there's still a nationwide shortage relative to global demand.

I'm so confuuuuuuuused. Huh?
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Maybe they Really are GREEDY SOB's
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 05:06:07 AM »
Crude oil and pump gas are traded seperately, making the prices almost mutually exclusive.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 05:24:36 AM »
So you are saying that it is the speculators keeping the price of gasoline high?
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 05:33:59 AM »
So you are saying that it is the speculators keeping the price of gasoline high?

There's a surprise!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 05:52:20 AM »
"Current" crude oil prices are actually the prices for futures contracts with delivery dates a couple months in the future.  Oil sold for $105 a barrel today won't actually be delivered to the refineries until this fall.  So there's a significant time lag between the current trading prices for crude/gas and their selling price at the pump today.  

There's still a lot of that pricey $150/barrel crude in the system that has to be worked through.  Does anyone here have the means to determine a 3 or 4 month trailing average for crude oil?  I think that number might be a much better indication of "appropriate" gas prices than the futures contract prices.

Wait until 3 months from now.  If crude prices continue to fall, and if gas prices refuse to fall any farther, then there might be a reason to suspect shenanigans.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 05:53:15 AM »

Nope.  I'm saying that the market price of gasoline and crude are almost mutually exclusive.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 06:12:11 AM »
"Current" crude oil prices are actually the prices for futures contracts with delivery dates a couple months in the future.  Oil sold for $105 a barrel today won't actually be delivered to the refineries until this fall.  So there's a significant time lag between the current trading prices for crude/gas and their selling price at the pump today. 

There's still a lot of that pricey $150/barrel crude in the system that has to be worked through.  Does anyone here have the means to determine a 3 or 4 month trailing average for crude oil?  I think that number might be a much better indication of "appropriate" gas prices than the futures contract prices.

Wait until 3 months from now.  If crude prices continue to fall, and if gas prices refuse to fall any farther, then there might be a reason to suspect shenanigans.

Yet, if crude contracts in the futures market were to jump to $150/barrel today, by the end of the day, we'd see $4.00 at the pump.

Somebody is making out here...

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 06:17:52 AM »
See, when crude prices go up fast, so do pump prices, as the oil companies have to generate revenue to buy the newer, more expensive raw materials.

When crude prices drop, well, they still have to make a fair profit on the expensive stuff already in the pipeline, so prices go down slowly, if at all.

Simple, really.  rolleyes
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 06:21:22 AM »
Actually, if you factor it, you'll see that when oil prices were skyrocketing, pump prices were not keeping pace with the marginal increase in the price of the raw material. It was lagging considerably.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 06:21:28 AM »

Not really. Oil prices come and go but our gas demand is pretty steady with only about a 5% slide caused by high prices. Build some refineries, that might help unless you can figure out how to run your car on crude oil.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 06:23:58 AM »
Also have to take in to account the supply and when refineries change over to seasonal blends to meet EPA standards. rolleyes
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 06:27:23 AM »
"Current" crude oil prices are actually the prices for futures contracts with delivery dates a couple months in the future.  Oil sold for $105 a barrel today won't actually be delivered to the refineries until this fall.  So there's a significant time lag between the current trading prices for crude/gas and their selling price at the pump today. 

There's still a lot of that pricey $150/barrel crude in the system that has to be worked through.  Does anyone here have the means to determine a 3 or 4 month trailing average for crude oil?  I think that number might be a much better indication of "appropriate" gas prices than the futures contract prices.

Wait until 3 months from now.  If crude prices continue to fall, and if gas prices refuse to fall any farther, then there might be a reason to suspect shenanigans.

Yet, if crude contracts in the futures market were to jump to $150/barrel today, by the end of the day, we'd see $4.00 at the pump.

Somebody is making out here...
Pump prices never tracked upward as high or as fast as crude oil prices did back when oil made its big run up to $150.  Now, as we're seeing, pump prices aren't tracking downward as far and as fast as crude oil is falling.

Such is the nature of futures markets.  They exist to buffer out price volatility.  That's what they're doing right now.

And Brad Johnson is correct.  Crude and gas prices don't trade or move in lockstep.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 11:10:01 AM »
Some of this is caused by a weak dollar.  If the dollar were stronger against other currencies, the price per barrel would drop.  These other nations can buy more oil because the exchange rate is more in their favor.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 11:53:17 AM »
Some of this is caused by a weak dollar.  If the dollar were stronger against other currencies, the price per barrel would drop.  These other nations can buy more oil because the exchange rate is more in their favor.
Check your facts.  The dollar has been beating up on other currencies for a while now.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 12:07:31 PM »
Quote from: Brad Johnson
Nope.  I'm saying that the market price of gasoline and crude are almost mutually exclusive.
Quote from: Headless Thompson Gunner
Crude and gas prices don't trade or move in lockstep.
... sort of.  They do actually move very closely together if not entirely in lockstep.

Here's a chart I threw together from US government data available here

As you can see, small upward and downward trends in the oil market (futures and spot) mirror drastically larger trends in the gasoline market (future and spot).

Also, oil spot prices aren't much different from four month oil futures prices, really.  They'll trend at most few bucks in either direction.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 12:35:38 PM »
Check your facts.  The dollar has been beating up on other currencies for a while now.

I did not say that is what is happening now, it is only recently that the government has be strengthening the dollar.  That is why oil has slipped away from that $150 a barrel, the dollar has been getting stronger.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 12:44:05 PM »
On a multi-decade long term time scale, oil and gas prices do tend to track in the same directions.  I don't think that anyone here disputes that idea.  What I and Brad are saying is that on a day-to-day and week-to-week basis, the gas and oil prices are fairly unrelated.

Look at the volatility in the two prices, spot oil vs retail gas.  Notice anything different?  The gas price is extremely volatile.  It spikes and plunges, up and down, over and over again in very short time spans.  The oil price is fairly constant.  There is very little correlation between these radical moves in gas prices and the more stable moves in oil.  A shorter term chart would show this clearly, gas moving up and down without any corresponding swings in oil.

Now look at the scale of the changes.  Pick as a starting point, say, the low point around Jan 2007.  Oil is $50/barrel, retail gas is maybe $2.25/gallon.  Now move on to the peak prices in July '08.  Oil is $150/barrel, a full 3 times higher than before.  Retail gas is $4/gallon, less than twice as high.  If the retail gas price had fully matched the move in oil, gas should have been priced at 3 times it's Jan '07 price, which would have put it somewhere near $6.75 per gallon.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 12:48:48 PM »

I did not say that is what is happening now, it is only recently that the government has be strengthening the dollar.  That is why oil has slipped away from that $150 a barrel, the dollar has been getting stronger.
The US Government had no part in strengthening the dollar.  The recent changes are mostly due to the faltering economies in Europe and Asia.  In fact, I suspect that the economic gurus in Washington don't want the dollar stronger.  I think it's happening against their wishes.

The change in relative currency values has had an effect on oil prices, but the change in the dollar didn't cause oil to fall in the first place.  It merely magnified the drop. 

Actually, I suspect just the opposite, that falling oil prices pushed the dollar higher; investors backing out of their oil-as-an-inflation-hedge trades pushed the dollar up.  But I don't have any data to back this up, only an intuitive feeling.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 01:03:32 PM »
Since oil is used in many other items besides gasoline, won't gas prices also be affected by the demand for other petroleum products?  So even if crude drops to 80 dollars per barrel, gas prices could theoretically remain at 3.50, if there is some unusually high level of demand for, say, diesel fuel. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

macadore

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2008, 06:29:06 PM »
Thank T. Boon Pickens. We appear to be serious about breaking our dependence on foreign oil. The organizations that control the price of world oil cant have that so they are dropping their prices to keep us from doing that, just like they did in the eighties.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2008, 07:07:01 PM »
Thank T. Boon Pickens. We appear to be serious about breaking our dependence on foreign oil. The organizations that control the price of world oil cant have that so they are dropping their prices to keep us from doing that, just like they did in the eighties.
laugh

Umm, there is a stampede out of commodities (not just oil) right now going on in the global markets. I think that has a little more to do with it. The commodities ought to come roaring back once it is clear that we're not exactly out of the financial mess woods yet.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2008, 08:10:40 PM »
Maybe the Oil Companies really are GREEDY SOB's!

Or maybe you're just a communist.  laugh

Possibly the best reply so far.  Making the most possible profit is not greed.  It's what any profitable enterprise is supposed to do. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2008, 03:11:33 AM »
Just as a data point . . . on Sept 9, when I drove by in the morning on the way to work, regular gas at the local Shell station was $3.489.

That evening, on the way home, it was $3.659, a 17 cent per gallon increase.

Nothing to see here, just move along . . .  rolleyes
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2008, 05:29:07 AM »
A coupla hurricanes up the gulf will do that to gas prices, dontcha know...