Author Topic: Watch that first step, doc!  (Read 1383 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Watch that first step, doc!
« on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
Darwin Award nominee

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/09/11/BAOD12S9S2.DTL

(09-11) 14:10 PDT SAN FRANCISCO -- A car-burglary suspect fell to his death early today after he climbed over a wall on San Francisco's Telegraph Hill while trying to flee from police, apparently unaware that on the other side of the wall was a 200-foot cliff, authorities said.

The man was identified by the San Francisco medical examiner's office as James Cockrum, 38, of Daly City. Law-enforcement sources said Cockrum was a parolee, but details of his criminal record were not immediately available.

The incident began at 12:30 a.m. when police received reports of a someone breaking into a car on the unit block of Alta Street near Montgomery Street, east of Coit Tower.

Plainclothes officers set up surveillance in the area and spotted Cockrum getting out of an Audi, said police spokesman Sgt. Neville Gittens. Police tried to stop him, but he took off running. At one point, he stumbled and a screwdriver fell out of his pocket, police said.

Cockrum jumped over a 3-foot wall at the end of Alta Street and plunged the equivalent of 20 stories. He was pronounced dead at the scene, west of Sansome Street.

Officers found that a Subaru and possibly a third car had been broken into, Gittens said.

Louie Mandecote, a caregiver for a resident on Alta, said the incident was unnerving because "this neighborhood is so quiet."

Mandecote added, "It's a long-way drop from where Alta Street is. He probably doesn't live here if he didn't know that."

[Is it just me or was anyone else reminded of Bugs Bunny?]

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Bigjake

• friend
Re: Watch that first step, doc!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
This moment brought to you by Gravity and Karma, working in partnership to restore Darwin to his rightful place.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
A car-burglary suspect fell to his death early today after he climbed over a wall on San Francisco's Telegraph Hill while trying to flee from police, apparently unaware that on the other side of the wall was a 200-foot cliff, authorities said.

Oops. 

I bet he won't make that mistake again.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
Hmm...... all neighborhoods need one of those.  Can I put pungi sticks along the inside of my fence? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TF_FH

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
Honestly, I can say if I saw this happen I would be too busy rolling on the floor laughing to be much help as a witness.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
If it was really 3 feet it's only a matter of time before someone less deserving plunges. 3ft doesn't even meet code for a deck railing.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
I had a co-worker who did that, sort of...

He was playing pickup b-ball on Milwaukee's more bohemian East side. The ball bounced out of bounds over a 6' chain-link fence. And the light was just right that he did not realize the 2 foot strip of soil and bushes on the other side of the fence concealed a 30 foot drop into a concrete lined river bed with vertical sides.

He was out of work for 6 months healing up from his injuries.
I promise not to duck.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
"Can I put pungi sticks along the inside of my fence?  "

Sure, so long as there's tomatoes or whatnot growing up them Smiley

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
Look before you leap....  grin
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.