Author Topic: Coffee drinkers: have you always liked coffee, or was it an acquired taste?  (Read 21098 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Coffee drinkers: have you always liked coffee, or was it an acquired taste?
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2008, 09:50:08 AM »
I started not liking it at all, then  progressed to "it's great with lot's of cream and suger" to my present state. Good coffee I take black, crappy stuff I still adulterate. I find hot cocoa powder is a good additive to sub-optimal brew.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2008, 09:57:01 AM »
It could be an acquired taste, I guess, at that.

Yerba Mate is, for sure. I drink that the traditional way, leaves stuffed into a gourd or mug, hot water poured over them, drink through a metal filter straw.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2008, 10:02:16 AM »
I drink two large cups of black coffee when I first get up, WARNING, DO NOT GET BETWEEN ME AND THE COFFEE MAKER WHEN I FIRST GET UP. Then, I drink gunpowder green tea the rest of the day.  I can have a cup of strong black coffee then go right to sleep.  Try Cuban coffee sometime....chris3

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2008, 10:03:46 AM »
I used to get cafe Cubano from a cart vendor on the way to any 8am classes at UM.

That's coffee x100000000.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
Acquired Taste
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2008, 10:29:37 AM »
Coffee?  Yuck!  Bitter.  Nasty.

Shift work, USAF, radio site.  Coffee was all there was.  Plenty of sugar and powdered plaque cream.  Stayed awake.  Tasted nasty, though.

Left the USAF.  Went overseas as a volunteer.  More shift work.  More coffee.  Learned to tolerate the stuff.

Sweden, 1974, first decent coffee I'd ever had.  Boiled in a pan.  Smooth, not bitter.

Denmark, 1976, having dinner at the in-laws, there was an after-dinner gathering and coffee was served.  I told the lady serving, "cream & sugar."  Several minutes later, she was doing the rounds with a large silver tray full of coffee cups.  There were only two "white" cups, so I took the one closest to me.  Excellent!  Outstanding!  Just as I was about to ask our hostess what kind of coffee this was (Gevalia, as it turned out), someone on the other side of the room demanded to know why there was sugar in his coffee.

I'd never actually realized I didn't like sugar in my coffee until that night.  I no longer take any kind of sweetener in my coffee -- can't stand it.

My late sister introduced me to Jamaican Blue Mountain.  Wish I could afford to drink that.

I drink coffee now with plenty of cream or half & half.

Starbucks sucks.

I have had truly excellent, fabulous, to-die-for coffee maybe half a dozen times in my life.

Perhaps this is what Hell is.  You've had a taste of heaven, so you'll know what you're missing, then subjected to an unending supply of bitterness that only smells like that Heaven stuff.

I will have to try roasting my own.  I know for a fact that heavenly coffee exists, if only in an alternate dimension whose phase coincides with ours every few decades.

Meanwhile, I sip the bitterness, remembering the sweet, rich smoothness, and longing for the reappearance of the Coffee Angel.

*Sigh*

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2008, 12:01:33 PM »
I note that herbal tea, chamomile, green tea, or just about anything other than regular-old Lipton tastes like dirty water.  That said, Barnes&Noble sells a good tea, African Autumn.  Their cafes are Starbuck's, but I'm not sure if the tea is Starbuck's, or not. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2008, 12:05:43 PM »
I gotta second the recommendation for Dunkin Donuts coffee.  They do darn good with a cup o' Joe.

Also honorable mentions:
Krispy Kreme
Einstein Brothers Bagels

Yes yes, agreed!

Also, Burger King's coffee is decent.

Burger King's coffee is still bad, it is just better than you expect from a fast food joint so it is sort of a bonus.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2008, 05:56:00 PM »
Is there any way to get into coffee roasting without dropping more than $100 on a roaster machine?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2008, 07:14:49 PM »
Is there any way to get into coffee roasting without dropping more than $100 on a roaster machine?

Yep. A good heavy cast iron pan, a fan, and a tight mesh cooling rack.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2008, 07:42:01 PM »
Absolute best cup I ever had was at every cafe in Ho Chi Minh City....the Vietnamese are incapable of a brew that isn't fantastic.

I don't have any idea what beans they were using or where they come from, I just know that Vietnam is a coffee lover's paradise.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2008, 08:55:16 PM »

Yep. A good heavy cast iron pan, a fan, and a tight mesh cooling rack.

What he said.

Though, the Fresh Roast is a very good starting machine, and runs $80 with free shipping. Comes with 8 half pound packets of coffee, too let you try different flavors.
But a lot of people use the cast iron pan method, too. Might try a popcorn popper, too. That's essentially what the Fresh Roast is.
Hi.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2008, 11:53:04 PM »
For me, coffee was a (quickly) acquired taste.
Started when I first began working the graveyard shift. My supervisor at the time noticed I was wilting and asked if I was having a hard time adjusting. Told her I was. She said, "Here, try these" and put two pills down on my desk. I asked her what they were. She said, "Speed." I told her no thanks, I'd try coffee.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2008, 01:10:33 AM »
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but it's been mentioned several times already....

Just what exactly is artificial coffee creamer made of?
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2008, 02:46:19 AM »
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but it's been mentioned several times already....

You don't want to know.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

erictank

• friends
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2008, 03:14:31 AM »

You don't want to know.

Whatever it is, you can make one heck of a fireball with it if you blow high-pressure air through it (ETA: and provide an ignition source, naturally)...

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2008, 04:20:16 AM »

If you really want to know, it's usually mostly congealed corn syrup solids and hydrogenated tropical oils. At least the cheap stuff.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2008, 05:15:26 AM »

Nothing that is better for you than plain ol' moo juice.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2008, 05:40:11 AM »
Primarily they're made of milk proteins (cassein), vegetable oils (normally palm kernel oil or coconut oil; the saturated fat gives them a longer shelf life), starch, and other junk.

There are soy-based coffee creamers on the market for vegetarians who object to the milk proteins.

How it can contain milk protein and still be considered non dairy, I don't know.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2008, 05:52:29 AM »
Part of one of the best sequences from this comic...he'd just sipped the Perfect Coffee.

Girl Genius rocks!
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2008, 06:56:10 PM »
Ok Cosine, since you brought this up in another thread....

did you ever try the "heavily adulterated with cream and sugar/cocoa powder/cold brewed etc etc" suggestions? If so, how'd it turn out?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2008, 07:13:44 PM »
Ok Cosine, since you brought this up in another thread....

did you ever try the "heavily adulterated with cream and sugar/cocoa powder/cold brewed etc etc" suggestions? If so, how'd it turn out?

I did. I've tried lots of cream, lots of sugar, and half coffee half hot chocolate. Still couldn't stand it.

Maybe I have to wait until I grow up another ten years.
Andy

Teknoid

« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2008, 09:15:49 PM »
I remember trying coffee when I was 10 or 12. I thought it was nasty, and it was. My folks were prone to buying the cheapest thing on the shelf.

I forget who turned me on to real coffee, but I was sixteen or so. I've been an addict ever since. I've never progressed to roasting my own, but I've been grinding beans for 20 years. I usually shop at Coffebeandirect.com. hey've got some pretty good stuff, and it's usually fresh when it arrives. I haven't exactly converted the whole family, but when they visit, the first thing they say is "got any coffee?"

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2008, 09:35:08 PM »
Maybe I've never been introduced to the "right" coffee, but I've never found a type of coffee that I liked. 
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #73 on: November 25, 2008, 09:42:25 PM »
I can't remember ever not liking coffee.  I started out drinking it as a teen only on camping trips - this was "cowboy coffee" grounds boiled right in the water over an open fire.

I've never added anything to it either - except sometimes a little uisge bheatha  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2008, 09:59:53 PM »
Whatever it is, you can make one heck of a fireball with it if you blow high-pressure air through it (ETA: and provide an ignition source, naturally)...

Oh yea....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRw4ZRqmxOc
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.