Author Topic: Tool from teen's job gets him suspended from high school  (Read 6968 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Tool from teen's job gets him suspended from high school
« on: September 17, 2008, 12:56:58 PM »
Zero tolerance = zero common sense
http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=524796&catid=2

One guy's tool is another guy's weapon.

That's something Blaine High School senior Tony Richard is learning the hard way.

He's been suspended since September 5th, and could be expelled for the entire year, after a security guard found a box cutter in the teenager's car during a routine check for parking passes.

"They asked if I had anything in my car, and I said no," Richard recalled, "And then they asked me if I'm sure and I said yes."

School administrators then told him they'd located the box cutter in the cup holder of his parked car. It's a violation of the Anoka Hennepin County District's zero-tolerance weapons policy.

"I didn't realize that, I didn't think about it," he explained, "I just threw it in there after work one day so I wouldn't rip my car seat or something."

That's when he learned he'd be suspended for ten school days, and his case would be forwarded to the Anoka Hennepin County School Board for possible expulsion.

"I basically had to calm him down to say what's going on," Tony's mother Michelle Richard recalled of the phone call she received from her 17-year-old son that day.

"He was very upset and said 'They're trying to suspend me and expel me for having my work box cutter in my car.' And I said what?"

Tony works an average of 20 hours per week at a Cub Foods store in Blaine. As part of his job, he uses the knife with the retractable razor blade to break down boxes headed for cardboard recycling.

"He's getting the same punishment as if he'd brought it into the school," Michelle Richard said, "That's exactly what they would do in those cases too, they recommend expulsion."

The six-member school board won't consider Tony's fate until next Monday night at it's regular meeting, meaning he'll actually be out of school a total of 11 days.

At least.

"I want to graduate with my own class," Tony said Tuesday, "I don't want to go to some alternative learning center."

His mother's heard from many other parents willing to speak on Tony's behalf at the meeting.

"Parents that are actually drawing up letters to represent our family and Tony to say that the punishment just isn't fitting the crime."

District spokesperson Sarah Schwartz told KARE 11 school officials can't comment on individual student discipline cases, but referred to the district's policy on weapons.

It bans "possession, use and/or transmission" of a weapon or "any object that can reasonably be considered a weapon."

Examples given are knifes, real or immitation firearms, explosives, incendiary devices and any other object which can be used to harm a person.

The policy flatly says any student found in violation will be immediately suspended, and expulsion proceedings will be launched automatically.

Tony has spent his entire high school career at Blaine, and the sum total of his behavioral mishaps until now were three marks for being tardy. That had no bearing on the school's decision to banish him.

The staff at Blaine High, Schwartz explained, has no leeway in such matters once a weapon is found on school property. These cases are referred directly to the school board regardless of circumstances.

What will Tony tell the school board next week?

"I threw it in there after work one day," he said, "I use it to cut boxes. That's what it's for, so, that's pretty much it."

His mom's worried that he's missed his senior picture, and will miss homecoming because he's also banned from all activities. On Tuesday Tony had more to say about the chemistry labs he's missing during his suspension.

"It's not fun, I'll tell you that," he asserted, "All my friends are in school."

"You can say 'Oh yeah it's vacation,' but there's nothing to do at home all day and I've still got to do all my school work and stuff."

"I'd rather be in school."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Tool from teen's job gets him suspended from high school
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 01:25:30 PM »
Just FYI...

Blaine High School
12555 University Ave. NE
Blaine, MN   55434

Main Office: (763) 506-6500
Absence Line: (763) 506-6506
Food Service: (763) 506-6511
Health Service: (763) 506-6504
Fax: (763) 506-6503

Principal: Norm Hande

Assistant Principal for students last name Mom-Si
Nancy Hall
(763) 506-6633
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 01:28:16 PM »
Aren't school boards elected?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 01:29:24 PM »
Total madness. Wouldn't even fly over here. IIRC, there was never an issue of parking passes at my school, and the staff certainly can't search your car! And a boxcutter wouldn't have registered...I occasionally carried pocketknives with me, at worst they got confiscated for the day once or twice...

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 01:42:34 PM »

Oh sure, they are "elected"

But try to find enough voters who give a crap to vote in school board elections. Heck, try to find candidates willing to run for the school board.

Very, very few people pay any attention to the excesses of school boards and school administrators. These two groups think they can make schools their own little worlds that they control totally.

"Zero tolerance" means no sense. Other than this news report and a few people getting outraged, no one will care a bit.

Viking, over here, once you cross onto school grounds, you have no rights. And administrators and board members are trying to control students outside of school.

It is total madness.

For example, we had a whole book of offenses and the actions that were supposed to be taken against a student if they committed an offense. Well, that got applied very, very selectivly. Example...someone who frequently breaks the rules and such gets very little, if any, punishment. But if you have a normally well behaved student who runs afoul of something...they will not hesitate at all to make an example out of them.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 01:44:49 PM »
But try to find enough voters who give a crap to vote in school board elections. Heck, try to find candidates willing to run for the school board.

See, THAT here might be your problem.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 01:47:23 PM »

Very, very few people pay any attention to the excesses of school boards and school administrators. These two groups think they can make schools their own little worlds that they control totally.

"Zero tolerance" means no sense. Other than this news report and a few people getting outraged, no one will care a bit.

Viking, over here, once you cross onto school grounds, you have no rights. And administrators and board members are trying to control students outside of school.

It is total madness.

For example, we had a whole book of offenses and the actions that were supposed to be taken against a student if they committed an offense. Well, that got applied very, very selectivly. Example...someone who frequently breaks the rules and such gets very little, if any, punishment. But if you have a normally well behaved student who runs afoul of something...they will not hesitate at all to make an example out of them. [/b]

Could it be because the kids who commit offenses on a regular basis are already hardened criminal, and the staff is afraid to do anything against them? While the nerd/geek/kid who works extra and has his Gerber/Leatherman/cheap-o box knife in his pocket/in his car is an easy, safe target?

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 01:50:03 PM »

It is total madness.

For example, we had a whole book of offenses and the actions that were supposed to be taken against a student if they committed an offense. Well, that got applied very, very selectivly. Example...someone who frequently breaks the rules and such gets very little, if any, punishment. But if you have a normally well behaved student who runs afoul of something...they will not hesitate at all to make an example out of them. [/b]

Could it be because the kids who commit offenses on a regular basis are already hardened criminal, and the staff is afraid to do anything against them? While the nerd/geek/kid who works extra and has his Gerber/Leatherman/cheap-o box knife in his pocket/in his car is an easy, safe target?

Probably.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 01:57:06 PM »
Back when I was in HS the double standard was in effect.  I was busted for bringing one of those micro swiss army knives (this was before there was such a thing as a leatherman) on my keys.  I had my keys on top of my desk because they were trying to stab my leg (it was the 90's, you could read the date on a dime in my pocket).  My typing teacher with whom I had a mutual hatred going saw that as an opportunity and tried to get me expelled.  I got in school suspension and the knife was permanently confiscated, but several guys that were "hoods" and were always in detention were caught with various larger folders just had to turn them in at the office.

The teacher hatred was I had to take typing in order to take any computer classes.  Typing means memorizing things like memo and letter formats and using an old IBM Selectric.  I could type at around 50 WPM at that time, I could just not make myself memorize formatting since it would have no bearing on anything I would ever do not planning to be a secretary and knowing about such things as the memo and letter templates in Word Perfect.  I tried to get moved to a keyboarding class but this teacher made sure that was blocked.  I did the bare minimum to get by with a D and managed to get the class converted to Pass/Fail so it did not trash my GPA.  He tried to block the pass fail thing too, but my dad finally stepped in to the dean and mentioned the word "lawyer" which will make any school official pucker up.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 01:59:01 PM »
Of course it is. people who aspire to the school board and similar local positions in government frequently crave one thing: control over others that they would never in the world get to such a position of authority on their merits. Control. That's what it's about.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 02:16:51 PM »
Perhaps someone should kindly inform these pin-heads that, unless you are on an airplane, and a jihadist is holding one to your neck, a box-cutter is NOT a weapon. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
Oh NOES!
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 02:43:12 PM »
Well, you may be right, but you have to understand they're worried he might hijack the school and fly it into a tall building.

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 02:44:52 PM »
As part of his job, he uses the knife with the retractable razor blade to break down boxes headed for cardboard recycling.

Satire, right?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 03:20:34 PM »
It bans "possession, use and/or transmission" of a weapon or "any object that can reasonably be considered a weapon."

Examples given are knifes, real or immitation firearms, explosives, incendiary devices and any other object which can be used to harm a person.
Kids carry pencils to school right? Anyone seen the new Batman movie? I think the whole school needs to expel itself.
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 06:23:52 PM »
Kids carry pencils to school right? Anyone seen the new Batman movie? I think the whole school needs to expel itself.

I was thinking the same thing.

I wonder what the school would say* when I refused to come to school with, or touch any pen or pencil on the basis of the school weapon policy.  Tell them I consider them weapons and therefore won't violate the school policy by touching them.

Then go to work on clothing - I could strangle somebody with my pants!

Funny thing - mentioned this to grandpa, and he had the same point about pencils and pens.

*Assuming I was still in school.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 06:29:13 PM »
Firethorn, if the ordinary student tried that, they'd be thrown into in-school suspension (basically sticking them in a room with a staff member and doing busy work all day) so fast it'd make their heads spin. The staff at many schools are not above retribution of some type if a student starts making waves by pointing out flaws or criticizing the management of the school...

Experienced it on more than one occasion.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 07:25:43 PM »
It is fraking dren like this that makes me remember fondly those halcyon days when I was in High School.  When no one dared to mess with the science freaks/drama geeks who were regularly seen roaming the halls of the school carrying roofing hammers, bindles of flash powder and the odd Katana.

Sad how far public education has fallen into whuusy-hood that the administrators get their soiled panties in a knot over a utility tool.  rolleyes
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 07:33:46 PM »
It is fraking dren like this that makes me remember fondly those halcyon days when I was in High School.  When no one dared to mess with the science freaks/drama geeks who were regularly seen roaming the halls of the school carrying roofing hammers, bindles of flash powder and the odd Katana.

Sad how far public education has fallen into whuusy-hood that the administrators get their soiled panties in a knot over a utility tool.  rolleyes

Back when my father was in school, they used to carry their rifles and shotguns into school during hunting season and store them in the records vault.

Of course, that was back when high school students (like my father) drove the school buses, too. That doesn't happen these days, for sure.

I've had nightmares that involved me toting my rifle to school for some reason and getting caught. No idea why I had the rifle, and I could not ditch it. Instead, I had to tote it throughout the school day, waiting until I was inevitably caught. Strange, strange dreams.

G_P

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 07:52:34 PM »
When i was in highschool in the late 90's we had a "zero tolerance weapons policy" yet a lot of us worked at the local grocery store and would walk there right after school. We always had our aprons with boxcutters either in our cars or in our lockers for those who did not have a car. As long as they were kept out of sight and not displayed during school nothing was said at all.

Small pocketknives were ok to bring to shop class to learn how to properly sharpen them as well.

Its pathetic how kids are treated in school. Prisoners have more rights than public school students these days!

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 07:55:04 PM »
Are they allowed to wear belts? Can strangle people with those, or hit them hard if the buckle is heavy...

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 08:07:04 PM »
How many "underprivileged" gangsta-wannabes get kicked out of school for creating a hostile environment for the kids that actually want to learn? Hmmm...oh wait I forgot
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2008, 12:33:37 AM »
Between the boxcutter and the school board, I'm having a hard time determining which is the tool.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2008, 04:21:39 AM »
Firethorn, if the ordinary student tried that, they'd be thrown into in-school suspension (basically sticking them in a room with a staff member and doing busy work all day) so fast it'd make their heads spin.

I had it a few times for fighting.  Normally they didn't even bother with the staff member.  I didn't really care because all I did was read books and actually do my homework.

The staff at many schools are not above retribution of some type if a student starts making waves by pointing out flaws or criticizing the management of the school...

Trust me, if I was attending that school and decided to make an issue of it, I'd be having lots of kids going along with it.

On the other hand, now that I'm an adult, my standard response is simple:  'Zero tolerance' combined with 'mandatory punishment' you get what I call 'zero thought' policies.  It doesn't take somebody with a college degree to enforce zero though policies.

Congratulations Principal, you've just caused me to redefine your job as 'unskilled labor', with an appropriate payscale!  IE Minimum wage.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2008, 05:04:56 AM »
Reason #7649 I send my kids to private school.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2008, 07:14:26 AM »
Is private school better?

Of course, that was back when high school students (like my father) drove the school buses, too.

??
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic