Author Topic: Farking laptop cd/dvd drive!!!  (Read 989 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Farking laptop cd/dvd drive!!!
« on: September 21, 2008, 06:45:42 AM »
Ok.  here's the back story.  I've got an HP DV2000 laptop that I got a couple years back.  The dvd drive started acting up a while back, and now it's getting so it can't read more than a few files from a CD before losing tracking.  I can get it to read a few more files by opening the drive, removing the disc, and manually moving the laser assembly to the outside of the track.  Then a couple minutes later it starts searching back and forth trying to regain tracking...  And the cycle keeps repeating.

I know, I just need to pony up and replace it. 

But I just needed to rant. 
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

mike

Re: Farking laptop cd/dvd drive!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 07:42:20 AM »
And now you feel better, Right? grin

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 12:33:06 PM »
Try carefully cleaning the laser.  Otherwise, not much you can do but replace it.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 04:27:20 AM »
Mike, a little, yeah.   But I won't really feel better until I get rid of the stupid thing....   I'd feel much better if I could take the old drive and use it as a clay pigeon, but I don't wanna have to clean up after making that kind of mess....

Rocketman, I've tried cleaning it.  Sadly, I believe it's a mechanical issue with the drive.  Fortunately, I've found replacement drives for about 80 bucks.  As opposed to the 225-250 that HP would want for said drive.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 07:42:00 PM »
Hey man, give something like this a try
http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-DV2000-DVD-RW-DL-Super-Multi-Lightscribe-Drive-65_W0QQitemZ290262513666QQihZ019QQcategoryZ131543QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Nothing wrong with buying ebay parts for older machines, especially when it saves you some coin. Cheers,
Shawn