Author Topic: Wall Street turmoil and gun prices  (Read 928 times)

Hutch

• friend
Wall Street turmoil and gun prices
« on: September 21, 2008, 04:02:35 PM »
Do y'all reckon the current flatulence on Wall Street will have any short term (6-12mo) impact on gun prices in general?  I'm not trying to stir up any TEOTWAWKI talk, just trying to guess whether it's more financially sound to quit contributing dollars to savings (of any sort, EE Bonds, Money Market, CD's, etc.) or to "invest" them in firearms?  If it's guns, then I would think moderately priced utilitarian firearms with name-brand recognition among non-gunner sorts would be easier to liquidate later.  Joe Stockbroker has heard of Smith and Wesson, Colt, Winchester, and probably Remington.  I think someone could do this in strict accordance with all laws, and still have a better financial position than holding stocks or bonds.

"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Wall Street turmoil and gun prices
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 04:28:11 AM »
The only thing I see affecting gun prices is the election.

As for guns as investments, investment guns are investment guns. Plastic guns are tools. The former is generally a good investment and will always appreciate, either slowly or quickly depending on a number of factors. Machine guns are a good holding investment. But mass-market utilitarian guns, produced in the millions, are a tool meant for self-defense and should be purchased based on how well they serve you in that regard, IMO.

With the exception of certain extremely rare pieces if bought low (estate sales) and sold high, you're never going to make the kind of money you can make in the stock market. You have to know what you're buying to do that, as well. Someone might think "aha, a Webley MK VI, that's valuable!"...and buy it. They might not know that it's a mismatched and cold-blued parts gun with a shaved cylinder instead of the original .455 caliber, making it worth less than they paid for it. I've also seen at shows "Genuine Colt Government" 1911s. Slide from one, sure, refinished. On a newly made frame from the Philippines. It's a very tricky market that requires a lot of research, or you just get burned.

Besides, if you buy and sell too often to individuals, you become "in the business" to BATFE. If you're selling to dealers, you are not going to get a good price, as they want to make a profit, too. If you want to do that, get an FFL.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 04:37:45 AM »
Wolf, I always stay on my side of the law.  I'm not looking to churn guns to make a profit.  I'm wondering about what do with discretionary investment money.
But with the exception of certain extremely rare pieces if bought low (estate sales) and sold high, you're never going to make the kind of money you can make in the stock market.
Not lately, bro', and not any time soon.  I don't think we're anywhere NEAR the bottom of the equities market or the real estate market (sob). Unless, of course, you've got a hot stock tip? grin

"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

taurusowner

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 05:02:34 AM »
I would not invest in something that a large portion of lawmakers want to make illegal.