Author Topic: Pilots sleep through landing procedure  (Read 6086 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Pilots sleep through landing procedure
« on: September 25, 2008, 10:27:04 AM »
Holy crap.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/3074870/Pilots-sleep-through-landing-procedure.html

Captain Scott Oltman, 54, and First Officer Dillon Shepley, 24, dozed off during the brief midmorning flight from Honolulu to Hilo, on Hawaii.

The Federal Aviation Administration suspended the men for the careless and reckless operation of an aircraft. Both were fired by Hawaii's Go airlines, operator of the February 13 flight which was carrying 40 passengers.

Mr Oltman was also cited for failing to maintain radio communications and banned from flying for 60 days. Mr Shepley had his flying licence suspended for 45 days. Both completed their suspensions earlier this month but an FAA spokesman said he did not know if they were flying again with a different airline.

The men had been given a 15 hour break before their shift, nearly double the FAA minimum. Mr Oltman was later diagnosed with a severe obstructive sleep apnea, a sleep disorder which can lead to extreme fatigue.

An investigation found no obvious explanation for why both men fell asleep. There were no problems with the aircraft's pressurisation system or carbon monoxide levels.

Over a period of 17 minutes, air traffic controllers made nearly a dozen unanswered calls to the men.

In recordings obtained by The Associated Press, the controller is heard repeatedly trying to contact the pilots and speaking to the pilot of another Go flight.

"I'm worried he might be in an emergency situation," the controller says.

Radio contact was finally established 44 minutes into what is usually a 45-minute flight. By this time, the plane had overshot Hilo airport by 15 miles. The flight crew was ordered to return and landed safely.

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Pilots sleep through landing procedure
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 10:31:01 AM »
They better not be flying anything but a cargo dog in some banana republic.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 01:25:45 PM »
Not the first time it's happened.  Won't be the last.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Josh Aston

• Future President of Texas
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 01:31:58 PM »
And they wonder why people don't trust the airlines.
I'm from Texas, what country are you from?

Aston for POTUS Republic of Texas - 2016

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 01:39:48 PM »
Right, because the hundreds of thousands of people who fly everyday are in grave jeopardy.   rolleyes

Even pilots are human; they make mistakes. 

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 01:55:54 PM »
Ooops.

Josh Aston

• Future President of Texas
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 02:03:47 PM »

I'm fine with them making mistakes.  Just not when my life is in their hands and we're thousands of feet up in the air.
I'm from Texas, what country are you from?

Aston for POTUS Republic of Texas - 2016

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 02:33:39 PM »

How does a "landing procedure" differ from a "landing"?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 02:36:41 PM »

How does a "landing procedure" differ from a "landing"?

It was just typical poor reporting.  The reporters got the facts wrong, again.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 02:39:02 PM »
Media interpretation most likely.  The pilots probably slept through the top-of-descent point.

I'm fine with them making mistakes.  Just not when my life is in their hands and we're thousands of feet up in the air.
I guess that you don't fly at all.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 02:49:35 PM »
Right, because the hundreds of thousands of people who fly everyday are in grave jeopardy.   rolleyes

Mistake? Sure. Falling asleep and missing multiple radio calls? That should be a career ender.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 03:17:03 PM »
Agreed.  And it was in this case.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 05:27:30 PM »
Yep, probably blew the beginning of a STAR.  Media interpretation of lingo they don't understand, nor bother to research.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 05:38:13 PM »
I thought it was all computer controlled nowadays anyhow. They don't even touch the controls anymore, they just watch it land.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 06:27:01 PM »
That can happen, but the pilots have to push the right buttons to make it work.  Just like your computer doesn't do much until you tell it to.

Also, flaps and gear are always pilot-controlled.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2008, 06:29:33 PM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2008, 04:31:09 AM »
I hate to break from the pilot bashing, but isn't is pretty unusual for both pilots to be asleep?  I realize they supposedly ruled out other failures.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2008, 04:54:13 AM »
Very unusual.  We normally sleep in shifts.  grin

I don't know how it was discovered that the pilots were asleep, but obviously they missed radio calls and the top-of-decent point.  That's hard to do when someone is awake.  Sure, radio calls get missed, but everyone wants to land.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2008, 04:57:54 AM »

I don't know how it was discovered that the pilots were asleep, but obviously they missed radio calls and the top-of-decent point.  That's hard to do when someone is awake.  Sure, radio calls get missed, but everyone wants to land.

Missed radio calls like that could be Very Bad in other areas.

Imagine if that happened over a major US city, LA, New York, or worst of all, someone fell asleep and busted D.C. airspace?

A missile is a hell of a wakeup call.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2008, 06:22:37 AM »
I guess what I was getting at was it seems suspicious that there was no other issue that contributed to the drowsiness, but maybe I am just taking it easy on the pilots.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2008, 07:39:53 AM »

Missed radio calls like that could be Very Bad in other areas.

Imagine if that happened over a major US city, LA, New York, or worst of all, someone fell asleep and busted D.C. airspace?

A missile is a hell of a wakeup call.

And that is the quote of the week....  grin
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2008, 08:00:30 AM »
I guess what I was getting at was it seems suspicious that there was no other issue that contributed to the drowsiness, but maybe I am just taking it easy on the pilots.

You mean like late night partying in a strange city?  Pilots would never do that.....
 laugh
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2008, 09:53:18 AM »

I haven't read of any other factors, mechanical or otherwise, that were cited as contributing factors.  It's been so long now that I don't even remember what time of day the flight was.

One of Many

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2008, 11:26:55 AM »
One of the two was diagnosed with sleep apnea after this incident. That explains why he would have fallen asleep; it is a severe sleep disorder that causes extreme exhaustion, and many fatal accidents occur with drivers suffering from this disorder.

I don't know if FAA rules allow someone with sleep apnea to fly aircraft. If not, this pilot may be considered disabled due to this condition. It is treatable, with a device called a CPAP, that forces pressurized air into the patient, in order to maintain blood oxygen levels at safe levels while sleeping.

The second pilot apparently does not have any medical condition that caused him to nod off.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2008, 11:39:56 AM »

The second pilot apparently does not have any medical condition that caused him to nod off.

I can tell you from personal experience that if he wasn't in his homeport he might have been out living it up the night before.  Alot of pilots (Certainly not the majority) take advantage of the nights away from home to act like they are 21, nail stewardesses, and drink heavily. 
JD