Author Topic: Acrobat 9 Pro - What the Hell?  (Read 5257 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Acrobat 9 Pro - What the Hell?
« on: October 02, 2008, 09:35:55 AM »
So typical govt, my agency has been standardized on Acrobat 6 Pro until just recently, when we were authorized (aka ordered) to update all systems to Acrobat Pro 9. I'm just doing that today, and hokey smokes this prg is a beast! It's taking longer to load up than some operating systems do. I hate to think about how bloated this software is. I almost wish we'd stuck with Acrobat 6.

/rant
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

longeyes

• friend
Re: Acrobat 9 Pro - What the Hell?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 09:41:49 AM »
Who weeps for XyWrite?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 09:42:28 AM »
Won't help you at work, but I LOVE Foxit.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 09:48:31 AM »

Well, I think the OP refers to the document authoring tool, not hte Reader.

Foxit is the best .pdf reader out there, no doubt.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 09:52:13 AM »
I don't know about 9 but if you google for tech white-papers, there may be a way to make a bunch of the extensions optional or manually loadable when needed, and make it a bit less piggish.

At least you're standardized.

We have Acrobat reader 5, reader 8, and "writer 7... 8... AND 9 in this environment, and a bunch of differing enterprise application dependancies that are hard coded to use the various versions for different teams.  rolleyes
I promise not to duck.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 10:00:53 AM »

Well, I think the OP refers to the document authoring tool, not hte Reader.

Foxit is the best .pdf reader out there, no doubt.

I thought the pro version could write PDF's...  I may be mistaken, though.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 10:07:52 AM »
So typical govt, my agency has been standardized on Acrobat 6 Pro until just recently, when we were authorized (aka ordered) to update all systems to Acrobat Pro 9. I'm just doing that today, and hokey smokes this prg is a beast! It's taking longer to load up than some operating systems do. I hate to think about how bloated this software is. I almost wish we'd stuck with Acrobat 6.

/rant

They added support for things like video and Flash animations in documents.

It's a bloated piece of crap that WILL bring your system down. If your machine starts bogging down, check processes and kill ACRORD...and watch it come back to life.

Even the other programmers at Adobe make fun of the Acrobat developers...

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 10:14:09 AM »
I don't know about 9 but if you google for tech white-papers, there may be a way to make a bunch of the extensions optional or manually loadable when needed, and make it a bit less piggish.

We have Acrobat reader 5, reader 8, and "writer 7... 8... AND 9 in this environment, and a bunch of differing enterprise application dependancies that are hard coded to use the various versions for different teams.  rolleyes

Where at Disney do you work?  We have the SAME problems here

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 11:08:50 AM »
Yeah, I'm talking about full blown Acrobat vs Reader. I have it on about half the systems now. It's actually running fairly fast on my machine, which is pretty beefy, but we have some older ones like Dell 2400s that it seems to be dogging it on. Oh well.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 11:12:17 AM »
Yeah, I'm talking about full blown Acrobat vs Reader. I have it on about half the systems now. It's actually running fairly fast on my machine, which is pretty beefy, but we have some older ones like Dell 2400s that it seems to be dogging it on. Oh well.

Wait'll it starts clogging up the registry with its own crap. It's like running an AR and never cleaning it.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 11:32:24 AM »
The latest versions of Reader tend to linger . . . when I go to shut down my PC (running XP) it will NOT shut down without manual intervention if I've looked at any .pdf file.  angry
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 12:17:47 PM »
So I take it that I should not accept their gracious offer to upgrde to 9 WHICH POPS UP ON MY FRIGGIN' SCREEN EVERY FIVE MINUTES?

TC
TC
RT Refugee

AZAndy

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 02:37:35 PM »
Just in case somebody didn't already know, OpenOffice's word processor will save a document to PDF. And it's free, free, free. It also opens old spreadsheet formats and saves that way (Lotus, stuff like that).

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 04:34:19 PM »
The company I'm subbed to is notoriously cheap, with a capital CHEAP, when it comes to licenses, hardware, and the like.

They recently got into a snit with Microsoft, and are apparently abandoning ALL MS office products when the licenses expire.

There are rumors that they're either going to Lotus Symphony (essentially beta freeware, DANGER WILL ROBINSON!) or Open Office.

Did I mention that they're CHEAP?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 05:04:45 PM »
RUN! from Lotus products.

Open Office is pretty decent software, though.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2008, 05:10:29 PM »
The company I'm subbed to is notoriously cheap, with a capital CHEAP, when it comes to licenses, hardware, and the like.

They recently got into a snit with Microsoft, and are apparently abandoning ALL MS office products when the licenses expire.

There are rumors that they're either going to Lotus Symphony (essentially beta freeware, DANGER WILL ROBINSON!) or Open Office.

Did I mention that they're CHEAP?

Lotus?!

Oh, god. You're going to be hating life.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2008, 05:59:31 PM »
Wish me luck.

I'm downloading Symphony 1.1 right now.

I figured I'd try giving it a go to see what it's like.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2008, 07:02:14 PM »

Lotus still exists?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2008, 10:33:35 AM »
I run OpenOffice at home, and here at work.

I got special permission to run it here at work so I can help the minions convert their saved files to ones they can actually use on whatever software they are running at the time.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2008, 03:45:14 PM »
I use OO. It's GLORIOUS.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2008, 03:50:33 PM »

Lotus still exists?

It's now an IBM suite of services. Notes and a few other things.

Notes is a HUGE pain in the ass.

Paragon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2008, 04:14:42 PM »

Wait a minute, do you work in the same place I do? 

You can't help but love government decisions.  We just finished rolling out the mandatory update to Office 2007...to everyone except the guy who signed the order saying we're going to update to 2007.  He still has 2003.  We actually have an image server that we have to keep up and running, just for this guy, in case we need to image a computer for him since Office 2k7 is part of our standard image now.  Apparently chiefs of staff are above the rules they make, though.