Author Topic: Saturn V high speed footage  (Read 3648 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Saturn V high speed footage
« on: October 07, 2008, 03:23:27 AM »

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: Saturn V high speed footage
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 06:58:42 AM »
heh,,,that was cool...  =D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 09:08:14 AM »
I swear, those turbopumps that fed the F1's could probably have lifted lesser rockets into orbit without igniting the fuel. Given some magical external power source that weighed nothing, water might have sufficed.

Love the compression shock rings around the stages at about 3:20 as it starts to go sonic. (Is that when Max-Q happens?)

And perhaps someone can explain this, the first stage of the Saturn V is the only rocket where I've seen this. How the fuel just on the edge of the engine bells isn't burning, it ignites a few feet down. Is it burning, but moving too fast for incandescence, or is it some other effect? Like the regenerative cooling of fuel through the nozzle wall or something?
I promise not to duck.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 09:15:08 AM »
One of the alternate booster plans for the shuttle used F1's, along with winglets and an automated return to a remote airstrip.

They should have gone with that, I think. The F1 is the most reliable engine ever built. They probably can't even build them anymore, all the tooling is gone, the subcontractors are gone...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 09:16:47 AM by Manedwolf »

mfree

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 11:04:02 AM »
The unburnt fuel moving down the nozzle sides is likely there for cooling purposes.

EDIT: On further research, the "black stuff" is turbopump exhaust, cooler helium. It's there for the same purpose though, absorb the heat and carry it away lest the chamber heat up and burn through.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 11:32:57 AM by mfree »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 11:10:58 AM »
Is that unburnt fuel or a nitrogen blanket to keep the reaction under control? 

A company has a plant at Merritt Island that has been there since those times.  It supplies high pressure nitrogen.  I think they have a 7000 psi pipeline that feeds all the launch pads.  The entire outside of the vehicle is blanketed in nitrogen to make sure no stray sparks or leaks can cause a problem.  They won't attempt a launch without it.  A competitor supplies the liquid oxygen for fuel.

Also, I guess if it is fuel and not O2, it won't mix with the O2 until it gets below the nozzle and will help cool the nozzle.  They do similar things with big burners in boilers and heaters to control where the combustion occurs.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 11:24:42 AM »
I doubt that we will ever, in the era of trillion-dollar entitlement programs, do such again as a nation.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 12:23:21 PM »
Here's one for you.  For fuel, the stage one engines burn good old kerosene.  How's that for a low-tech solution to a high-tech problem?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 12:48:51 AM »
I doubt that we will ever, in the era of trillion-dollar entitlement programs, do such again as a nation.

I am sure you are entirely correct.  That is why I merely sigh when someone mentions our planned replacements for the shuttles, and future missions to the moon.

The video is impressively bittersweet.   Will this nation accomplish anything so technologically magnificent ever again?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 01:03:51 AM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 01:27:32 AM »

I am sure you are entirely correct.  That is why I merely sigh when someone mentions our planned replacements for the shuttles, and future missions to the moon.

The video is impressively bittersweet.   Will this nation accomplish anything so technologically magnificent ever again?

I really hope so.  That video was very cool, but I have much the same reaction.  It makes me sad, like watching that Feynman interview on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk8TVopOBGE    =(  I fear we may see a return to the moon by Virgin Galactic before the United States government. 

In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 02:28:18 AM »
I fear we may see a return to the moon by Virgin Galactic before the United States government.

A-OK with me.  Privatize space.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 06:15:35 AM »
All your space are belong to us!
Avoid cliches like the plague!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 07:34:32 AM »
I fear we may see a return to the moon by Virgin Galactic before the United States government.

A-OK with me.  Privatize space.

Works for me.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 08:47:16 AM »
Here's one for you.  For fuel, the stage one engines burn good old kerosene.  How's that for a low-tech solution to a high-tech problem?

Brad

Higher molecular weight fuel, gives higher Isp no? or was it simply the challenge of keeping that much LH2 in one place in the large first stage tank? Or the size of the tank needed because the needed mass of LH2 would have been much (unworkably) larger in volume?
I promise not to duck.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 10:16:15 AM »
Mmmm fire fire fire.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2008, 01:45:07 PM »
Higher molecular weight fuel, gives higher Isp no? or was it simply the challenge of keeping that much LH2 in one place in the large first stage tank? Or the size of the tank needed because the needed mass of LH2 would have been much (unworkably) larger in volume?

I think more than anything it was a proven technology they knew worked well and wouldn't need a jillion man hours of new engineering to be useful.  If nothing else old Werner was a stickler for efficiency.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2008, 02:01:35 PM »
I think more than anything it was a proven technology they knew worked well and wouldn't need a jillion man hours of new engineering to be useful.  If nothing else old Werner was a stickler for efficiency.

Brad

True, having a non-cryo fuel must have immense engineering savings. OTOH, IIRC, the upper stages were LH2. The L02 tank for the first stage had to be close to twice the size of the liquid kero tank, due to the different densities of the two liquids, the burn/oxidization ratio, not to mention all the other handling characteristics. Something like just under a million and a half liters of L02, but only 800,000 liters of QRSTWXYZ-P1 or whatever they used for the actual Kerosene.

Then it flips, and the LH2 tanks were several times the size of the L02 tanks in the upper stages.
I promise not to duck.