Author Topic: Q' for internet geeks...  (Read 893 times)

Blakenzy

• friend
Q' for internet geeks...
« on: October 11, 2008, 02:37:01 PM »
How can I tell how good an internet service is? In other words, apart from price and advertised speed, what parameters should I take into account when choosing a new provider? Currently I have wireless internet connection, at a supposed 128Kb/s... and it totally sucks lately. At first it was decent but in the last couple of weeks it has become so slow it's almost un-useable. It feels like I am back in the 90's with my 28Kb/s dialup.

What data should I look at when deciding who am I going to sign up with next to make the best choice? I'm guessing that there is more to it than the advertised speed they flaunt in your face  =|...
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Q' for internet geeks...
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 03:13:48 PM »
Wireless, as in wireless connection from a tower to an antenna on your house?  Call your ISP.  There's lots of things that can impact quality of wireless, and they'll have equipment, software and people to check it out.  Or should.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Phyphor

• friend
Re: Q' for internet geeks...
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 04:30:54 PM »
Can you get Clearwire there?

(I'm assuming you're not already using it, but AFAIK Clearwire doesn't offer lousy 128k speeds.)

Clearwire will get you way better speeds (but problematical email and non-existent nntp support)
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour