Author Topic: Mustang GT obsession: unhealthy?  (Read 5797 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Mustang GT obsession: unhealthy?
« on: October 11, 2008, 06:20:32 PM »
Since I work at home, I don't need anything special for a car. I have a 1991 Saturn that sits most of the time.

For years, though, I've wanted a Mustang GT. With the retro look of the 2006-2009 models, I really want one. There's just a couple of problems: 1) even a used model will be $20K+ if it's in great shape, which would mean taking out a loan; and, 2) until we move down south in 2010, it's not a practical car for Wisconsin winters.

I've been driving past Ford dealerships, sometimes stopping to ogle some models. Yesterday I stopped at a dealership to look at one, and the salesman made the mistake of letting me test drive it by myself. I had it out on some rural roads, and had the tires smoking through the turns and off of the stop signs. It was a blast.

I also started doing the math in my head as far as car payments, but stopped myself from buying the car.

My wife tells me I should stop thinking about the cars, because I'm torturing myself. I've already told her that I would buy one as soon as we've moved south, so I look at all this as "research."

Has anyone else here obsessed this much about a car?

(By the way, I was as obsessed with Jaguar XKE's since I was a kid in 1961, the first year of production. When I was in my 30's I bought a beater and spent over 2000 hours restoring it to show-car quality. That, to me, is obsession).

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Mustang GT obsession: unhealthy?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 06:27:40 PM »
Yes. But I can't drive, and I won't be able to afford the car I won't until at least six-seven years into the future, and possibly more.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 06:56:05 PM »
Why can't you drive?

As for not being able to afford the car you want, I had to wait twenty years before I could buy it. And then I had to take it all apart and rebuild it myself. ;) I did everything, from welding to shooting the paint.

Here's the car I was looking at yesterday, although I prefer the brighter red.

And here's me testing the suspension yesterday. ;)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 07:06:05 PM by Monkeyleg »

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 07:01:20 PM »
I can't drive because Israel has deranged rules on driving licenses and taxes every car so much that the total taxes come out to more than the cost of the car proper. The vehicle import tax is 60% alone. The only cars I can afford are  beat-up milsurps.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 08:44:27 PM »
... I have a 1991 Saturn that sits most of the time.

The saturn is paid off right? So you still got that as a winter beater. Go for it.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/08/u-s-auto-sales-predicted-to-plummet-to-13-4-million-in-2009/
Auto sales are expected to plummet in 2009; combine that with winter's typical slow down of sales, and especially for sports cars. You have a chance come late February to late March to pick up the one you want for DEEEEEP discounts. A little patience and there is opportunity to get the best of the stealership for once in a liftetime.

Good hunting.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 09:45:31 PM »
Folks like their Mustangs, that's for sure. My retired parents just bought a white 2008 Mustang GT convertible a few weeks ago.  My mom has always wanted another Mustang since her 64-1/2 was sold by Dad to buy a 66 Pontiac GTO. I'd much rather have the latter in this day and age, but that's just me.

They're ripping around the Wisconsin countryside this weekend, while the weather's still warm, with the top down.  They called me via cell phone to let me know they were heading from Baraboo to Prairie du Chien to La Crosse and back, with no particular plans other than to just take a fun road trip while gas prices are down. A 3rd childhood, as it were.   =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 10:08:49 PM »
Check the insurance rates!! May cure your obsession!

Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 11:40:26 PM »
Bob, I checked on insurance. I'm 57 years old with no violations in at least the last seven years. My annual premium on the car will go up about $300 a year, but that's it, and only because it's a newer, more expensive car. Of course, I'm sure I'd get a few tickets after getting the car.

Drewtam, I was thinking along the same lines. Buy when demand is low, and try to find one right before winter.

The problem is that we need to get work on our basement done, some chimney work, and do a little remodeling of the kitchen before we put the house on the market. So maybe I'll have to wait until we're down south.

Meanwhile, I guess I'll just drop in at dealerships and test drive cars.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 11:44:58 PM »
Here, maybe this photo of my mom's new toy will help your decision, Monkeyleg.

Yeah, I edited the Wisconsin tag... ;)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 12:01:33 AM »
Gewehr98, when I've had my "toy" cars, I never put the front plate on. Never got ticketed for it, either. Usually the cops were too busy looking at the car.

For me, certain cars don't look right as convertibles. The Jag E-Type was designed as a coupe; the convertible was designed later, almost as an afterthought. I feel the same way about the late model Mustangs.

The 60's Pony Mustangs looked good as ragtops, but didn't look as aggressive as the fastbacks. The 2006-2009 Mustangs, with their retro look, just seem right as hardtops.

Ah, well. I'll get mine in about 18 months, maybe less. I wonder how often I'll be replacing tires? ;)

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 12:14:29 AM »
I see a lot of Wisconsinites go sans front license plate.  I know having a front plate is the law around these parts, but it appears to be one that's rarely enforced. 

I have mine on the front of my vehicles, but I'm also squeaky clean with respect to my security clearance, etc.  Maybe someday when my SSBI expires, I'll get a rebellious streak in me - then watch out!   =D

Riding with my mom last weekend, I asked her the same thing about tire life.  She lit up the rears something fierce several times in our little trip to the store and back.  She punched me in the arm and said, "Listen to that exhaust burble!"

A kid.  A 64 year-old kid, she is.  But I'd rather she spend my inheritance on that vs. Bingo Night at Ho-Chunk.  ;)

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 12:49:22 AM »
No, a Mustang obsession is a sign of a healthy mind. I'm on my 3rd, this one being an 03 Cobra.  Free advice, stay out of the SVT models, they just make the obssesion more expensive.

Some things to think about:

You said you were moving south in 2010, if you wait untill the model refresh (MY 2011 should be fall 2010ish in dealers) you'll get a bump in HP and a bigger engine plus (ford says) better fuel economy.

There's also talk of a retractable hardtop in the 2011MY, but that hasen't been finalized.

Have Fun.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2008, 01:22:41 AM »
Gewehr98, your recklessness is frightening. Please don't tell us that you've fired a real gun at some point in your life.  :O

Dogmush, I know that the 2010 Mustang is going to be much different. Unless Ford sticks with the retro look, I may not like it.

Also, I just can't justify buying an expensive (to me) new car. The car I looked at yesterday had just 8400 miles on it, and still had the factory warranty. And the price was $7K or less than a brand new car.

I tend to wring every last dollar out of a car that I can. I bought a new '88 Ranger for my business in 1988, had it for 15 years, paid $9500 for it when new, got about $2500 from the insurance company when they wanted to call it totaled, put about 175,000 miles on it, and sold it for $350. So I actually had $6650 into it (not counting routine maintenance), and it cost me about $37 a month plus repairs/maintenance over the 15 years I had it.

I got the '91 Saturn new for my wife in 1991 for $10,500 after my father's GM discount. It now has about 90,000 miles on it, with plenty more to go. The condition of the interior leaves something to be desired, but I've paid about $49 a month for it over the last 18 years.

If I pick up a 2009 model in 2010, there's a good chance I'll still have it when I'm 70+ years old, unless I wrap it (and me) around a tree.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2008, 01:43:15 AM »
The Mustang bug.......... it has bitten my wife quite severely.

She still talks about her 1971 Mach 1, and how the cops in San Diego called her Speed Racer at the time.

Now she has this very healthy obsession for a Yellow convertible Ford Shelby GT500. Well, I have about 9 months until her birthday. If I work a second job, and pick up cans on my nights off, she may get her wish.

Of course, I will have to find one for sale.

bob

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2008, 02:03:33 AM »
If I work a second job, and pick up cans on my nights off, she may get her wish.

What's wrong with that? I'm sure she would do the same for you, right? Well..maybe, maybe not. Look at Gewehr98's mother. She's spending his inheritance on her Mustang. The least she could do is let him drive it (plates on, of course).

I quit drinking a year ago, which has saved me a couple of hundred dollars a month. I quit smoking one month ago, am doing fine, and honestly don't see myself starting up again. I was spending about $750 to $800 a month on cigarettes (5 packs a day), so I figure I owe myself a reward for becoming such a puritan.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2008, 03:10:53 AM »
The least she could do is let him drive it (plates on, of course).

She offered, several times.  I declined.  I don't particularly like Mustangs, but I support her decision to enjoy the most of her later years.

I notice the whole front license plate thing's got you somewhat miffed to the point that you're dogging me about it, Monkeyleg.  What's up with that?   =|

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2008, 03:51:49 AM »
I notice the whole front license plate thing's got you somewhat miffed to the point that you're dogging me about it, Monkeyleg.  What's up with that?   =|

I think he's just yanking your chain.

My sister has a pretty hefty Mustang obsession.  She satisfied it about 8 or so years ago after she totaled her Neon.  She ended up buying a '66 'Stang with the insurance money. 

Now it's sitting in my grandparent's machine shed, since she can't afford to keep it running.  She got a newish Nissan to replace it.  Though when she starts making more money, I think she intends to take it out of storage (she's an accountant, and I think she's in the process of getting her CPA). 

For myself....I think Mustangs, particularly the new ones (and a few select pre-early 70's models) are pretty sweet, but I'm unlikely to ever buy one, unless I get rich.  I'm pretty much a one vehicle kind of person (don't have the money for anything more than that), and a pickup or an SUV wins over the Mustang for that.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2008, 11:05:42 AM »
I'm just teasing you, Gewehr. But I did object years ago when the WI legislature required front plates, and I simply refused to put them on my "toy" cars (Jag XKE, MGB, GTO, MGA, Triumph Spitfire, TR3). It just buggers up the look of the car.

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2008, 04:03:02 PM »
I want a 69 GTO Judge.  Someday, I MIGHT be able to afford one.
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2008, 04:52:44 PM »
With the retro look of the 2006-2009 models

The current Mustang came out as a 2005 model.  I found a nice '05 GT hardtop near me for $17,995 on Autotrader:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=244671987&dealer_id=171199&car_year=2005&model=MUST&rnc_prepopulate=&start_year=2005&search_type=used&distance=25&make=FORD&address=48240&end_year=2006&cardist=23

If you're willing to forgo the V8, you can find one substantially cheaper:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=249029910&dealer_id=576206&car_year=2005&model=MUST&rnc_prepopulate=&start_year=2005&search_type=used&distance=25&ct=u&make=FORD&address=48240&end_year=2006&cardist=21

I'd be happy with a V6 w/ manual transmission.  IMO it's much more fun to drive a smaller engine near its limits than a big V8 that you can't really use, unless you don't value your drivers license.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2008, 05:48:26 PM »
Oops. I stand corrected: 2005 was the first year of the new body style.

That car's a good deal at that price. 20K more miles, but $5K less.

I'm sure I'll find the exact car I want. If I'm patient I'll get a good deal on it. That's one of my weaknesses: I don't have the patience to wait until a good deal shows itself.

As long as I'm looking at that kind of money, though, I'd definitely want the V8. You can rest assured I'll find places where I'll use the additional horses. I had my Jag up to 125+ mph a few times on the interstate north of Milwaukee. (There are stretches of the interstate where there's never any speed traps).

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2008, 07:19:48 PM »
I've been wanting a 65 Nova SS for ever now.  Haven't had the $$ to get one.  Working on this car for now.  Plan on running it down the track a few times next spring after the interior is done.  Then most likely it will go up for sale to fund the Nova.

500 hp.  Sunk about $2500 into the drive train.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2008, 11:04:17 PM »
Sweet.

Zed

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2008, 01:05:21 AM »
To the OP.

Know the Feeling, I'd Love to get Either a Mustang GT500 or a Challenger.

But neither would be practical with our winters, & I can't afford one of those & my truck just now :(

On another Note, Check out the pics of the Concept Cuda. (I Want One!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you would have peace, prepare for war.)

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2008, 01:33:46 AM »
Well, since we're posting pics: =D

The Cobra (dark red) is my daily driver, 500 HP and she'll run an 11.7 1/4 as she sits on the street.  If I put sticky tires on she goes faster.

The GT was my previous project.  She was set up for road racing, 350 HP, High rev Cams, Coil overs at all four corners and such.  I won some autocross with her. She was a lot of fun, but maintnence intensive.

Stay away from the 05 up V6's, the one downside of the new design is it's pretty heavy, and the V6 feels pretty slow, even with the stick.  Of course my friends tell me my veiw of "slow" has been perminantly skewed.  I want a GT 500, but don't want to step down to a slower car.