Author Topic: Pennsylvania Law Tries to Cut Electricity Usage  (Read 5658 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Pennsylvania Law Tries to Cut Electricity Usage
« on: October 16, 2008, 09:16:31 AM »
How the hell do these types get to tell somebody how much product to sell.  Build more power plants if you need more power, don't tell the producers to make their customers to use less.

Pennsylvania Law Tries to Cut Electricity Usage
Thursday, October 16, 2008

http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=37629

Harrisburg, Pa. (AP) - Pennsylvania has begun a major effort to cut electricity use, requiring the state's 11 utilities to not only stop power usage from rising, but to cut it starting in 2011.

Legislation that Gov. Ed Rendell signed Wednesday requires the utilities to cut annual electricity usage by at least 1 percent by May 31, 2011, based on usage estimates made by state regulators, who can take into account a major anomaly, such as an unusually hot summer or a substantial surge in demand from a new user, such as a factory.

To ensure that utilities take the task seriously, the new law allows up to $20 million in penalties for failure to meet the benchmarks for electricity usage cuts.

"That certainly should get the companies to look at what's been going on around the country and adopt some of the more successful programs," said Sonny Popowsky, the state's utility consumer advocate and a supporter of the new law.

Utilities will have to find ways to get people and businesses to use less electricity on the hottest summer days, when electricity is the most expensive. That could include enrolling the owners of homes and office buildings in a program to temporarily switch off hot water heaters or air conditioners.

To cut electricity usage at all other times, utilities will have to get more fluorescent lamps into light sockets to replace less efficient incandescent bulbs.

They will have to figure out how to entice people to insulate their homes to save electric heat and replace old, energy-sucking refrigerators and other appliances with newer, more efficient models.

Electricity usage in the Pennsylvania and the United States grows at a rate of about 1 percent to 2 percent annually.

By May 31, 2013, utilities have to cut usage by at least 3 percent, as well as slash 4.5 percent from electricity usage during the 100 highest-use hours of the year.

Utilities said they are still in the early stages of developing proposals for how they will approach the mandate and did not want to speak about their specific plans.

They acknowledge that the law will force them to adopt new usage-reduction tactics beyond a raft of education programs they have, including Web sites that dissect each residential customer's electric usage and how to reduce it.

"It's a big number. It's going to take some changes in terms of what we do and what we've done in the past, but it's not an insurmountable number," said Scott Surgeoner, a spokesman for FirstEnergy Corp., the Ohio-based power company that owns Pennsylvania Electric Co., Pennsylvania Power Co. and Metropolitan Edison Co.

By July 1, each utility must file a plan with the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission to achieve the cuts. The commission must hold a public hearing on each plan and has about four months to approve or reject them.

The electricity conservation efforts will be expensive, and utilities can bill rate payers for that cost, up to 2 percent of their revenue from 2006. Utilities must be able to show that savings from the plans will pay their own cost -- at least -- within 15 years.

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Pennsylvania Law Tries to Cut Electricity Usage
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 09:27:38 AM »
Wow. They want to make PA into a third world country.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 09:57:26 AM »
surge in demand from a new user, such as a factory.
What about new homes and growing families?  Oh, that's right, this is Pennsylvania, there won't be any growth.

Idiots.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 10:08:06 AM »
How long until we get rolling black outs designed to help the company meet its electrical usage goals...

Not long.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 10:21:52 AM »
What are they worried about in terms of "more" use, anyway?

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) - Conditions in the manufacturing sector in the Philadelphia region deteriorated significantly in October, the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia reported Thursday. The Philly Fed diffusion index fell to negative 37.5 in October from positive 3.8 in September. Readings below zero indicate contraction. The decline was much larger than expected. Economists were expecting the index to drop to negative 5.0. The new orders index dropped to negative 30.5 from 5.6, while the shipments index fell to negative 18.8 from 2.6. Inflationary pressures eased. The prices paid index dropped to 7.2 from 31.5.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 10:27:16 AM »
How long until we get rolling black outs designed to help the company meet its electrical usage goals...

The local utility here has an "offer" in with the bill every month for me to sign up for "voluntary blackouts". There's even several tiers I can sign up for, just like cable service. This being CA, I can't but wonder how long before the state .gov starts making these involuntary.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 10:29:10 AM »
Great, they have a five-year plan to help the energy market.  I wonder which market is next?

On a funny note, If I was an electric producer in PA, I'd be trying to figure out how to cancel service to every state and local government building and see if that got the 1% needed. 

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 10:31:13 AM »
The local utility here has an "offer" in with the bill every month for me to sign up for "voluntary blackouts". There's even several tiers I can sign up for, just like cable service. This being CA, I can't but wonder how long before the state .gov starts making these involuntary.

And this is CA, the state that shut down a 900MW reactor to replace it with a 4MW solar array.

I really, really hope New Hampshire decides to finish Seabrook's unit 2.

Right now, the upgraded reactor is generating 1400MW. 2800MW for not many more than a million people? That'll do. Would let me sleep well at night.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 10:32:30 AM »
Typical of leftists to push this on the supplier and not the end user.  They can dump an easy short sighted bill on the state and then go home happy that they "did something" and feel less guilty.  

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 10:33:34 AM »

Do they give you a break on your bill for that, or is it just "be a good little boy and think of the chilruns?"
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 11:03:05 AM »

Do they give you a break on your bill for that, or is it just "be a good little boy and think of the chilruns?"

This is done quite a bit for industrial customers, and they get a price break for agreeing to the terms.  So, I suspect there is some economic incentive.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 11:04:19 AM »
Great, they have a five-year plan to help the energy market.  I wonder which market is next?

On a funny note, If I was an electric producer in PA, I'd be trying to figure out how to cancel service to every state and local government building and see if that got the 1% needed. 

Hmmm, kind of a Ronnie Barrett but with electricity..... I like it.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

qdemn7

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 11:07:28 AM »
Wow, I can see the market for standby generators in Pa. soon becoming a hot one.  :lol:

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 11:08:51 AM »
Yeah, they have price breaks at the differing tiers, but it (to me) doesn't seem worth it compared to what they ask you to do for each tier.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 11:19:31 AM »
Hmmm, kind of a Ronnie Barrett but with electricity..... I like it.
There was a guy over here who did just that. IIRC, he felt he was being robbed by not being able to set the prices he wanted, so he cut electricity for various city utilities. Street lights were dark and such for quite a while. Obviously, the city couldn't have it with that, so they got a court order to seize the guy's company IIRC...
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2008, 11:23:36 AM »
Wow. They want to make PA into a third world country.

What are you talking about?  It already is..

Waiting for Mike to smite me...

Chris

mfree

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2008, 11:31:53 AM »
Well, if I was a PA power company I'd just flip the power off at the hottest part of the day, to EVERYONE, and then announce loudly in the next bill flyer...

"Government blackout program a success! Rendell's power saving program works!"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2008, 11:43:53 AM »
What are you talking about?  It already is..

Waiting for Mike to smite me...

Chris

Dude...

I've been to where you were born and grew up.

It would take some SERIOUS climbing for those areas to get to third world status...

And let's not even talk about the fact that your parents now live in...

ALABAMMY!

YEEEEE HAW!

More Chitlins and Hog Maw? :D

Seriously, though, my high school received, from the Federal Government, Appalachia Regional Commission money...

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2008, 12:06:39 PM »
I guess no electric cars for Pennsylvania? Are there still large steel mills in Penn? They use a ton of electricity in their furances. Maybe they need to move out too.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2008, 12:10:37 PM »
Oh, yeah, black out an arc furnace in the middle of a melt. That'd go over reallllllly well with that mill. :lol:

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2008, 12:22:00 PM »
Oh, yeah, black out an arc furnace in the middle of a melt. That'd go over reallllllly well with that mill. :lol:

I have a feeling either there will be an allowance for them or they have their own power generating capability.

Chris

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2008, 12:31:23 PM »
I have a feeling either there will be an allowance for them or they have their own power generating capability.

Chris

AFAIK, they pull almost 1MW per ton when operating.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2008, 12:47:31 PM »
Simple to implement - really. Just turn off the generators for 14m 24s a day. Voila - 1% savings.

Could do it at night when the control room operators go on break.

or they could just target the homes of all the legislators that voted for the inane bill and shut off power to them till they reach their daily 1% savings requirement. That shouldn't annoy them too much after all - it is for the planet.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2008, 12:52:21 PM »

Chris

At one time many of the steel companies did generate much, if not all, of their own electricity. They had huge amounts of fuel coming into the plant to heat water into steam to turn generators, they were often in relatively remote areas, and their electrical power needs grew FAR faster than the surrounding infrastructure.

In fact, in some of the early company towns, the houses got their power from the steel plant. They were your employer, your landlord, and your electrical utility. It's also possible, if they had coke roasters on site, that they were also your gas utility for home heating and cooking.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2008, 12:53:36 PM »
"Simple to implement - really. Just turn off the generators for 14m 24s a day. Voila - 1% savings."

That's a 1% time savings, not a 1% usage savings.

Usage at 5 p.m. on a hot summer day is going to be a LOT more than usage at 3 a.m. on a cool, fall day.