Author Topic: Did anyone here have such an enlightening high school science class?  (Read 8054 times)

crt360

• friend

BIG SANDY, Texas — Two high school students bitten by a venomous snake in science class are recovering at an East Texas hospital.

School officials in Big Sandy said Tuesday the students were bitten by a cottonmouth water moccasin their teacher had misidentified as non-venomous.

School Superintendent Scott Beene said students have been encouraged to bring in wild animals to be identified.
While the teacher was leading the class in another science lab experiment, the two students were handling what they thought was a rat snake.

While they were handling the one snake, it began fighting with another and they were bitten. They told the teacher they had been bitten and were taken to the school nurse and then driven to a Tyler hospital.

Beene would not say which hospital or the exact condition of the students, citing they are both minors. However, he did say he believed both would remain hospitalized for several more days.

Beene said the snake that turned out to be a cottonmouth had been brought in earlier this year.

"I do not know how long that snake had been in the science lab, but the teacher evidently misidentified it as a non-venomous snake," he said.

Beene said school officials are working to make sure there isn't a repeat of Monday's incident.

"We are talking about how we will handle students bringing in wild animals, and I believe we will now safely transport the animal to the Tyler Zoo like we did the two snakes yesterday to be properly identified," he said. "I don't know if we will allow snakes back into any of our classrooms."

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/gen/ap/TX_Classroom_Snake_Bite.html
For entertainment purposes only.

Regolith

• friend
Re: Did anyone here have such an enlightening high school science class?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 08:24:43 PM »
School Superintendent Scott Beene said students have been encouraged to bring in wild animals to be identified.

Yeah, that was stupid.  Not only is it pretty illegal, it was just asking for something like this to happen.  If it wasn't a poisonous snake or insect, it'd probably have been something nasty with rabies.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 08:48:16 PM »
WTF?  The only thing a (young) cottonmouth might be mistaken for is a copperhead, also venomous.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 09:07:33 PM »
Even if it was a rat snake, should they be letting the kids pull it out to handle it?  Even non-poisonous snake bites are not pleasant.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

kentucky_smith

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 09:27:44 PM »
Science teachers at my school handle snakes quite often.  Haven't had an unfortunate experience the 7 years I've been there. 

I'm not a big fan, only good snake...no, I don't even like dead snakes.   :lol:

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 09:37:51 PM »
See, now if that science teacher had been wearing a sign, we'd have known not to trust him.  It woulda been like, whoops, nevermind, I didn't see your sign.

And I felt bad for not knowing Hermitian Operators.  Yikes!

In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 11:14:16 PM »
I remember Mrs Iannuzzi telling us (in 1980) that we'd be out of oil by 2000, there'd be an ice age going on and we'd all be frozen to death.  Something to do with all the CO2 from burning all that nasty coal and oil..... ;/

But I'm sure someone will come along and tell me that it never happened, it's been global woerming all along and besides it wasn't accepted or published or standard or approved or peer-reviewed or (insert poltically correct term for being wrong) science.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 11:17:26 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

don

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 11:52:44 PM »
In my science class, we had spider fights and bet on the winners. Black widow vs. brown recluse. Recluse won. Students learned how to identify dangerous spiders as well as some other common species. In physics class, teacher suspended a 12lb ball from the ceiling with a cord and then backed up to a wall, held it against his chin at a 20-30 degree angle and released it. The ball would swing out and return to within an inch of his chin while he remained still. Good demonstration. Chemistry teacher mixed ammonium hydroxide with iodine crystals and made a mixture which when dry was extremely sensitive and would explode at the slightest touch. Fun to throw pea sized wet substance on the floor and watch students' expressions as they stepped on it. Bang! and a puff of purple smoke. No damage, but lotsa fun. Bubble hydrogen gas and oxygen thruogh a container of soapy water so they mixed then light the bubbles with a smoldering splint of wood. Was fun until some student lit a pile of bubbles and covered teacher in soap suds. Actually then it was more fun. Had an unbelievable class on hormonal regulance of the estreus cycle. Very graphic complete with illustrations and all questions answered. This was in a mixed class. Another name for the class was birth control and human sexuality only teacher did not call it that. No complaints from parents. Teacher made beer in class, distilled hard cider to a strong [60proof] drink. Yes we had fun in science classes. I was the teacher.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 07:42:42 AM »
I was bitten by a black bear in my advanced biology class in high school.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 07:54:01 AM »
Oh c'mon, you're not going to tell us the story?  =(

Best I can recall was we were putting sodium in water (tiny pieces) to watch it fizzle and make hydrogen and a couple of the cheerleaders managed to get an ignition. (Apparently they were hotter than we thought  =D ) Blew the beaker up like a bomb and sent shards of glass everywhere. A miracle nobody got one in the eye.

I remember another guy, can't remember his name but he had something to do with the development of wire based magnetic recording during WWII. Anyhoo he had a droll sense of humor and his speech the first day of 7th grade science was on chemical reactions in every day life and he said something like, "for example, down at the home economics class they mix flour, sugar and eggs together and put them into an oven to heat, causing a chemical reaction that produces,,,,,,,, carbon."  :laugh:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

LAK

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 08:32:08 AM »
I used to catch snakes and keep them from about age eight. Brought a cotton mouth home, which my father promptly placed it on his work bench in the basement and cut off it's head with a knife. In junior high I took a Boa Constrictor to school at the request of the biology teacher; that caused quite a stir. I've only ever been bitten by Boa Constrictors (twice) and a particularly aggressive Cook's Tree Boa.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 08:50:39 AM »
Chemistry teacher mixed ammonium hydroxide with iodine crystals and made a mixture which when dry was extremely sensitive and would explode at the slightest touch.
My high school chemistry teacher, Mr. Nessman, was horrible - he went out of his way to make things as dull as possible, and was upset when we took it upon ourselves to liven things up.

For example, he graded on a strict curve; our first lab "experiment" was to boil one liter of water in the shortest possible time; in reply to my question, he said that "time to boil" was the ONLY criterion used. He was upset that we a) started with hot water; and b) used five bunsen burners.  =D

And we booby-trapped his desk and chair with the nitrogen tri-iodide . . . put iodine crystals in concentrated ammonia, add a little heat and presto! When dry, you have stuff that will work as landmines for insects.  :cool:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 10:49:02 AM »
My high school physics classes were awesome.  Dr. Dell was a crazy man, but he made the class engaging.  We had air-hockey tables and video cameras to investigate the conservation of momentum in elastic collisions, and he performed the "Shoot the Monkey" experiment in class, using ball bearings and a steel can and a blowgun.

All of my science classes in high school were very interesting, and I enjoyed all of them except biology (but that was because the teacher was a pompous, lying bastard, not because the subject itself was lacking).

Going to a science and technology-oriented magnet school probably helped; we had more teachers with PhDs than some small colleges.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 11:50:24 AM »
I had an AP Physics professor in high school that was unique, and a good teacher.

That was a rough class, he'd give you, rapidfire, a list of what a rolling ball encountered in terms of a surface with a certain amount of drag, a spring that launched it with a certain energy, a ramp, slope...and you had to do all the equations for it.

But he was also blunt about things, like an experiment that used high-voltage neon transformers.

"DO NOT touch the terminals of your transformer, because you'll die. This will result in a failing grade."

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 12:07:11 PM »
Not much fun during our regular science classes, but I had some extra as a choice (for some reason it was named simply "technology"). Teacher would let us do pretty much as we pleased, and on most lessons, he was just at hand to unlock the chemical cabinet, and to be there so we could ask him questions such as "could I make a fuse if I soak this string in black powder that I've dissolved in water?", and "I want to make gun cotton, can I have some acids?", and "Can we use electrical wires plugged to a battery to ignite this gun powder?" (His answer to that was "Go ahead and try" =D
Heck, I even used the Anarchist's Cookbook as a referrence (the online version). Aah, those were the days =D. I'm surprised I didn't blow myself up :O :laugh:.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 12:07:54 PM »
Heck, I even used the Anarchist's Cookbook as a referrence (the online version). Aah, those were the days grin. I'm

Is the online version good ? I heard the book is horrid.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2008, 12:11:40 PM »

It is taken as evidence and always mentioned as such if someone's home is raided for any reason. Not something you would ever want to buy on a credit card...or even view online. There's probably dozens of trackers watching any site it is on.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2008, 12:12:24 PM »
It is taken as evidence and always mentioned as such if someone's home is raided for any reason. Not something you would ever want to buy on a credit card...or even view online. There's probably dozens of trackers watching any site it is on.

Such as... Rapidshare? Good luck.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2008, 12:36:38 PM »
Dunno really. The only stuff I tried from the recipies in it was for a fuse, and for smokeless powder. I can't remember how the fuse came out, and I never got to test the smokeless. For all I know, it's still lying in a petri dish on the top of a cabinet of my old high school.
I do seem to recall a lot of...well, *expletive deleted*it really. I wouldn't try anything potent if the recipies use terms such as "some", "a pinch", "a bunch", and similar, which IIRC there were plenty of.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2008, 01:30:42 PM »
I remember thinking, as I thumbed though a copy of The Anarchist's Cookbook at a used book store, something along the lines of "Well, if THIS was their primary reference, NO WONDER so many hippies inadvertently blew themselves up in the '60s!"
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Rudy Kohn

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2008, 01:42:58 PM »
I had an interesting experience in an Advanced Biology class...worst class ever.

We were supposed to be studying genetics by selecting and breeding good old fruit flies.
The teacher bought the flies, but not the fly-anesthetic for us to figure out which were male and which were female.
Instead, she used diethyl-ether.  She dunked the flies in diethyl ether.

Needless to say, anesthetics that work on humans don't necessarily work well on flies.  About half the flies drowned.  The rest didn't stay anesthetized for long enough--meaning we'd start flippin' 'em over and get to counting their belly-hairs, and they'd flip over and fly away.  The ones we could count were in no shape to reproduce later.

So now we have a completely failed scientific experiment, a hundred fruit flies flitting about the room, and a teacher that is high on ether.

The teacher had an eating disorder (putting it mildly), and had M&Ms and HoHos (I saw them when looking for staples one day) stashed in various places in the room.  A hundred flies became a thousand in about a week.

The same teacher, during dissections, wanted to "give" people "extra specimens" to work on, because I guess there weren't enough 15-year-old formaldehyde-drenched baby sharks to go around.  She pulled goldfish out of her aquarium, and dropped them into isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol to kill them.  I remember it took them way too long to die.  Moreover, the goldfish were not the kind that get really big.  They were little two-inch things, with half their volume taken up by the swim bladder.  Dissecting them with our woefully blunt scalpels was impossible.

The same teacher had a six-foot green iquana that had free reign of the room.  Every once in a while, we would come into class, sit down, and suddenly a girl would shriek, and then you would hear the thing skittering across the room to its cage.

Worst class ever.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2008, 02:28:25 PM »
OK, the black bear.

The nurse at my school was good friends with the black bear biologist at Penn State University.

One day he shows up with three black bear cubs in tow, all about 15 pounds, several months old, and still nursing.

Just as an aside, black bear cubs smell HORRIBLE!

Anyway, I was holding one and feeding it a bottle. It finished the bottle, which I set down, and I went to scratch its neck.

It apparently was still hungry because it grabbed my index finger and began to suck. Then it bit down because it wasn't getting any milk. That's when the little bastard sank two of those needle sharp milk teeth through the nail on my index finger.

I almost passed out it hurt so bad.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2008, 02:42:08 PM »
I remember thinking, as I thumbed though a copy of The Anarchist's Cookbook at a used book store, something along the lines of "Well, if THIS was their primary reference, NO WONDER so many hippies inadvertently blew themselves up in the '60s!"
Not to mention countless n00bs in the years that followed. I read an article in a Swedish newspaper about a 15-year old kid who had quite literally turned himself into pink mist. He'd been playing around with TATP, AKA "Mother of Satan". Despite being advised by members of a pyrotechnics/improvised explosives forum about the dangers of it. So instead of making a few grams at the most at one time, like they had advised him, he made 1+ kilo batches. I saw the pictures of his "lab". He'd put the pile to dry on a newspaper spread out on his floor, under a lamp...fortunatly it didn't explode, but the approximetly 1 pound of it that he had made a pipe bomb out of detonated prematurely, turning him into pink mist. Fortunatly he was the only one who was hurt, although I guess his friend who was with him must've suffered some mental trauma from watching his buddy vanish in an explosion, and being showered with body parts/fluids...

Also, there's the actual book version, written in 1971, and then there's also the text file, also known as "Jolly Roger's Cook Book", and a variety of other names. The online version seems to be the most common. I thought it was amazing to find it back then when I was 10 or 11, but now I'm just glad I never had the money to buy chemicals, nor the criminal inclination to break into the chemical locker at school to nick stuff...

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2008, 03:51:56 PM »
You guys were lucky.

The only cool experimental that happened in my tenth grade biology class wasn't even an experiment. The teacher inflated a set of preserved pig lungs with a pump, simulating breathing. Then he did the same thing with a set of lungs taken from a pig that had breathed cigarette smoke all its life. The outside of the smokers lungs were a grey color with something that looked like mold on them. They didn't inflate as much.

We never even dissected anything. I don't think it was even in the curriculum.
Dang budgets.

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2008, 04:23:27 PM »
I don't really remember having physics in high school.  I did have high school chemistry and AP biology, but the chem teacher knew I was a trouble maker so she watched me like a hawk. 

The AP biology was a great class though.  Half the class was lecture, the other half, we raised animals.  Everyone had their own project for raising animals.  Most people worked on the fish farm we had, where we raised salmon to release into the wild.  Others raised lizards, mainly blue-tongued skinks or bearded dragons.  We had one snake, and it was something harmless.  After I left, the school ran out of funding and had to kill the fish farm.  Within the past 2 years they have started it back up! 

For most of that class, I got to have a separate project, setting up my high schools computer network, and trying to figure out linux to see if it would be better.  It wasn't (This was in the days where it was a pain just installing linux) any better, I remember spending a lot of time trying to get linux to talk to windows nt. 

For part of my sophmore and junior years, I got to take a class called computer simulations.  Yup, you guessed it, we played simcity!  That was the greatest class ever, we would literally spend a couple hours a day playing video games. 
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford