Author Topic: The private Navy ...  (Read 5854 times)

LAK

• friend
The private Navy ...
« on: October 23, 2008, 09:19:41 AM »
I wonder if there is anything more than small arms aboard  ...

http://lloydslist.com/ll/news/blackwater-sends-warship-to-gulf-of-aden/20017581692.htm

Blackwater sends warship to Gulf of Aden
David Osler - Friday 17 October 2008

BLACKWATER Worldwide — the US private military contractor embroiled in controversy over its actions in Iraq — has sent a private sector warship equipped with helicopters to the Gulf of Aden, and is offering its services to shipowners concerned with Somali piracy.

The vessel, McArthur, is described as a multipurpose unit designed to support military and law-enforcement training, peace-keeping and stability operations.

The ship and its helicopters have the ability to patrol a commercial vessel’s route, thereby avoiding the need to hire security contractors to ride on board.

Blackwater’s move came just hours before the Indian government confirmed that it intends to deploy a warship in the Gulf of Aden to guard its merchant ships from Somali pirates. The Indian ship will join assets from Russia, Malaysia and a multinational western-dominated coalition in the troubled waters.

Blackwater justifies its presence in the area commercially by pointing to the increased bills for shipowners operating in the region, including massive insurance hikes, double-pay danger money for seafarers, and ransom payments where ships are captured.

Blackwater Worldwide executive vice-president Bill Matthews said: “We have been contacted by shipowners who say they need our help in making sure goods get to their destination. The McArthur can help us accomplish that.”

Blackwater has ties to the US State Department, providing security for diplomatic personnel in conflict zones. In September last year, its staff were involved in a shoot-out in Baghdad that left 17 civilians dead, in contentious circumstances.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: The private Navy ...
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 09:39:54 AM »
I see nothing wrong with it.  They are filling in for the gaps in international law.  If the nations won't step up to protect commerce, than the shipping companies and insurance companies should.  Sounds like a great way to make money to me.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 10:17:38 AM »
I have it on good authority that they have a full load of missiles tipped with Fistfullium warheads.

Horrible weapons, those.

They have the potential to bore everyone to death in the blast zone.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 10:51:54 AM »
Oh teh noez!!11one!1!  Not teh fistfullium warhedz! :laugh:

I'd be surprised if they had anything bigger than .30 caliber machine guns, either on the McArthur or the helicopters.

Sure would be nice to get one of those Letters of Marque they must have though....  =D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 10:53:09 AM »
I'd be surprised if they had anything bigger than .30 caliber machine guns, either on the McArthur or the helicopters.

Doesn't Blackwater have TOWs and M60 tanks?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 11:00:21 AM »
"M60 tanks"

Yeah. They put water wings on them and voila, amphibious assault vehicles...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 11:01:41 AM »
"M60 tanks"

Yeah. They put water wings on them and voila, amphibious assault vehicles...

That's not my point. My point is, if they have tanks, they surely can have some boom to put on a ship, like a 75mm cannon or so.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 11:06:37 AM »
I'm quite curious as to weapons myself. Is this US flagged ship? What weapons would the .gov allow on a "privatized" military vessel?

I go back and forth about Blackwater, but it's hard to find fault with this when so many govts are doing nothing (that is, nothing practical) about an obviously serious situation.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 11:22:12 AM »
"That's not my point."

And my point is get a sense of humor.   :rolleyes:

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 11:29:04 AM »
Ok, who tipped them off about our plan? :laugh:
On a half-serious note, it bodes well for us, since it proves that it can be done without various .gov's going Librarian-poo :laugh:.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 11:31:44 AM »
I have it on good authority that they have a full load of missiles tipped with Fistfullium warheads.

Horrible weapons, those.

They have the potential to bore everyone to death in the blast zone.

If that were the case, Powerpoint would be a WMD.

"Powerpoint...boring! Losing...consciousness..."

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 12:53:39 PM »
Typically, on a ship, they're 3" or 5" guns. Some warships have BIGGER guns.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 01:42:54 PM »

This is the McArthur.

I don't envision much for turret-deck guns.

Maybe some 24 pound bow chasers could be retrofitted though?  Fly the Jolly Roger up there, repaint the name to the APS APS?

It's a 40-50 year old boat that used to be a research ship for NOAA.  I suppose they could fire mortar from the deck, but with it pitching and rolling in the waves I wouldn't expect much for accuracy.

Definitely no 3" or 5" guns though.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 02:12:53 PM »
It's a 40-50 year old boat that used to be a research ship for NOAA.  I suppose they could fire mortar from the deck, but with it pitching and rolling in the waves I wouldn't expect much for accuracy.

That' why God gave us recoilless rifles.

Paging Carl Gustav...
In a well-known incident during the Falklands War, a Royal Marine damaged an Argentinian corvette using a Carl Gustav.

Or, if you want more "oomph" and range, step up to the M40 106mm recoilless rifle.  If they can mount it on a jeep, they can mount it on teh McArthur
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 02:18:34 PM »
That' why God gave us recoilless rifles.

Paging Carl Gustav...
Or, if you want more "oomph" and range, step up to the M40 106mm recoilless rifle.  If they can mount it on a jeep, they can mount it on teh McArthur

Mk-54 Davy Crockett.

=D

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 02:19:57 PM »
To heck with the recoiless rifle.

A ship like that could easily mount a surplus Oerlikon-type 20mm gun or two without damaging its sea characteristics.

The pirates in those waters generally use light, fast speedboats. For that kind of target you want something that will send out a stream of projectiles. The explosive shells in a 20mm will do wonders.

On anything larger or more hardened, the 20mm will also do a very credible job.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2008, 03:02:05 PM »
It's a 40-50 year old boat that used to be a research ship for NOAA

O.M.G.   When I saw the name I thought "it couldn't be". When I saw the pic, I saw it was. I spent time on her years back. We called her the "McBarfer". I feel really bad for that crew. She's a slow and roly poly ship in any kind of seas. No DP or stationkeeping of any kind. I heard they were gonna make some keel and rudder mods, but if they didn't do it before Blackwater got her, the crew is in for some fun.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2008, 03:13:37 PM »
Looks like a bait ship to me, load her up with guys w/ machine guns and wait for the pirates to attack. We recovered an Indian ship that had been pirated and used it as troll bait all the way to the destination in just that fashion. Never made the news of course.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2008, 06:19:56 PM »

This is the McArthur.

I don't envision much for turret-deck guns.

Maybe some 24 pound bow chasers could be retrofitted though?  Fly the Jolly Roger up there, repaint the name to the APS APS?

Looks like hey have a helicopter on the back, though....

Damn, they stole our gig!  I think we have a spy.  They have damn near all the gear we discussed rigging the SS APS with.  It just fits too damn well.  :O

I blame fistful. 

=D
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2008, 08:39:26 PM »
I doubt they'll mount anything visible on deck that will make the international MSM wet their panties....

....and I'll bet the Blackwater boys could hit a pirate speedboat with a Javelin salvo or two and stow the launchers belowdecks when they go into port for beer...  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2008, 09:43:54 AM »
....and I'll bet the Blackwater boys could hit a pirate speedboat with a Javelin salvo or two and stow the launchers belowdecks when they go into port for beer...  grin

Why bother?

Get a PKM with armor-piercing incendiary. Put 100+ holes in boat. Laugh.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2008, 09:49:09 AM »
Why bother?

Get a PKM with armor-piercing incendiary. Put 100+ holes in boat. Laugh.

Yeah, I was thinking something less expensive & high-tech than a Javelin, but that could still blast a good hole in a decent-sized boat or ship.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2008, 11:45:41 AM »
"Do all the interns get Glocks?"

"No, they all share one."

/obligatory obscure movie ref

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2008, 04:51:41 AM »
I doubt they'll mount anything visible on deck that will make the international MSM wet their panties....

....and I'll bet the Blackwater boys could hit a pirate speedboat with a Javelin salvo or two and stow the launchers belowdecks when they go into port for beer...  =D

Javs are expensive.  Couple dozen .50 cal rounds or a couple hundred 7.62 NATO ain't. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2008, 06:25:50 PM »
Javs are expensive.  Couple dozen .50 cal rounds or a couple hundred 7.62 NATO ain't. 

And it prolongs the entertainment.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.