Author Topic: Home generator  (Read 8156 times)

Hutch

• friend
Home generator
« on: November 03, 2008, 08:51:09 AM »
All y'all, what do you think of the Honda EU2000iA generator?  It looks like it produces a great 60hz sinewave at varying power levels, runs relativly quietly, relatively fuel efficient, etc.  Kinda pricey, but like the old Rolls Royce ads used to read:  "Long after the cost is forgotten, the quality is remembered".

It will easily run my fridge and freezer, it's portable enough to tote in the BOV if a bug-out is in order.  Is there any good competition out there for this li'l genny?  I reckon I'm going to buy one here locally if it's in stock, by COB today.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Re: Home generator
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 08:56:15 AM »
Probably no equivalent. Cant go wrong with honda stuff. gen are good and my 15 year old honda snowblower starts 1-2 pulls every time.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 09:02:55 AM »
A friend has the 3000w model to use with his travel trailer and they seem like very well made generators. Just listening to how the engine responds to various power loads it seems as if it'd be a lot easier on fuel usage than a normal cheap generator too.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 09:07:38 AM »
Honda = best, most reliable generators. They really know their stuff with those.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 09:09:57 AM »
Alllllllrighty then.  Here's hoping the local dealer ID'd on the Honda website actually has one.

Damn.  Who ever heard of a power equipment deal closed on Monday?  I won't have time to get it before leaving town tomorrow, and, as we all know, TEOTWAWKI is scheduled later this week!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 09:19:53 AM by Hutch »
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 04:25:35 PM »
My Honda 5KW generator starts reliably, even with somewhat stale gas, has autothrottle, is quiet, and provides all essential circuit needs. What's not to like? You get what you pay for in this case.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 04:37:50 PM »
You can save a bunch of money if you look around for a generator that uses Honda power such as NorthSTAR Pro series. 
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 05:03:45 PM »
There are even trifuels that have a Honda engine. LP, natural gas or gasoline.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 05:38:20 PM »
I have never heard much in the way of complaints about them.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 05:39:54 PM »
I've always heard nothing but good about Honda Generators. I think if I were looking at an emergency generator, I'd seriously consider the tri-fuel types.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 05:56:49 PM »
honda equals good
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 10:29:52 AM »
Got it locally.  Full of oil and gassed up.  The proprietor cranked it in the showroom, and we had a relatively effortless conversation over the running generator.  This is a far, far cry from the ear-splitting racket a side-shaft 8hp Briggs & Stratton makes.  For those interested, this thing can put out excellent sine-wave 60hz power at varying RPMs, and will run ~ 10 hours on a little over a gallon of gas at 1/2 load.  Regular gas, allowing up to 10% ethanol.  Recommended oil is plain-ol' 10W-30.  It has a foam, washable/reusable air filter.  What's not to love?  (except the sticker shock) (shock, get it?).

Thanks for all who commented on this thread.  I'm confident I've made the best decision.

• friends
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 11:07:32 AM »
and there are bolt on propane conversions that will let you switch fuels while running
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 08:47:40 AM »
I've actually seen tri-fuel conversion kits (unleaded, propane, NG), but they want me to ship them my existing carburetor.  I don't have NG running to the house.  Propane has a gratifyingly long storage life, but gasoline is easier to scrounge.  Off to buy some more 5g Gott or Rubbermaid gas "cans" and a PPF (piss-pot full) of Sta-Bil.  This is like Valium for my Spidey senses...

• friends

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 09:53:01 AM »
Good catch, 'Daddy, but it seems to be for 3kw+ generators.  Mine's a 2kw.  Might work, might not.

• friends
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2008, 05:37:44 PM »
i think they make a variety of sizes

grampster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2008, 09:19:10 AM »
My auto parts guy switched me over to SeaFoam from Stabil.  He says it's efficacy is better.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2008, 10:27:08 AM »
Honda is the best. I use synthetic oil in everything and rotate the gas before it goes bad. best thing for a gen is periodic use. folks who let them sit for months (or years) often get frustrated when they need them.
I've used a Honda 5K for over 12 years with no problems.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2008, 12:06:39 PM »
Can anyone tell me offhand how much KW gen capacity is needed to comfortably start and run a submersible well pump (220v) ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

• friends
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2008, 12:07:57 PM »
i believe you need the info off the spec plate to tell. i know my 5 k loads up if both my sewage and well pump start at same time

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2008, 12:23:59 PM »
i believe you need the info off the spec plate to tell. i know my 5 k loads up if both my sewage and well pump start at same time

Okay, thanks.  I don't really want to lift the lid over the well pit during cold weather (and let all the ground heat escape) unless there is an emergency.

So 5K would do for the pump alone? 

The well is about 300' but originally the water came up to within 50' of the surface.  It's rated at 30gpm - a little more and it might have been artesian.  Dang, I could almost siphon it down into the coulee below  =|

Obviously, I'm concerned about significant power outages.  It would be tough but we could manage fine on everything else, but without water you are really up a dry creek without a paddle :(

I'm thinking that running the generator for 15 minutes would allow us to fill the horse troughs and some containers.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2008, 12:27:43 PM »
5k should run it fine by itself.
mine will run my well pump at 275ft in a 500+ft well. about 14gal/minute.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2008, 12:51:57 PM »
Propane has a gratifyingly long storage life, but gasoline is easier to scrounge.  Off to buy some more 5g Gott or Rubbermaid gas "cans" and a PPF (piss-pot full) of Sta-Bil.  This is like Valium for my Spidey senses...
Propane is what the telephone company uses for standby fuel. 

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2008, 01:04:46 PM »
I'm thinking that running the generator for 15 minutes would allow us to fill the horse troughs and some containers.

If you want to be really paranoid, go by the breaker on the circuit.  Otherwise, assuming you don't want to actually pull up the unit to check it's plate rating, if you have an ampmeter you can get an estimate.  The better ones should have some sort of max or peak rating - this will tell you what it needs when starting up, then when it settles down a regular reading will work.

If you don't have the max capability - 2-3X average for startup.

Then add all the stuff up, and realize you can't start everything at the same time.