Author Topic: Best MRE sources, online or DFW local  (Read 2263 times)

SADShooter

• friend
Best MRE sources, online or DFW local
« on: November 03, 2008, 06:13:28 PM »
Hoping the thread title was adequately descriptive, who are the most reliable vendors for purchasing MREs? I'm thinking of purchasing a case or two in conjunction with other food suppliies. Searching at theepicenter and longlifefood prices seem comparable, so any other determining considerations?

Thanks,

SADShooter
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
Re: Best MRE sources, online or DFW local
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 06:29:29 PM »
so any other determining considerations?

Yeah. How long do you want to keep them for? They don't last as long as canned goods and they're definately not as cheap.

Also, what are you going to use them for? A bug out bag? Camping? Otherwise there are better choices.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 06:49:31 PM »
MREs don't last as long as canned good?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 07:07:25 PM »
Meyer's Custom Supply. SOPAKCO brand. They're a real contractor. There's others out there that are inferior in contents. Plus these have the indestructible Brown Spoon.

Nothing is as strong as the Brown Spoon.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 09:23:01 PM »
I have found all the local MREs something to be avoided.

MW's link looks good.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 09:30:13 PM »
+1 for SOPAKO and the (in)famous brown spoon.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 06:58:58 AM »
Keep in mind that quite a few suppliers have backorders to fill from all the way back in June. Just got mine from BQM...
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 09:01:19 AM »
Keep in mind that quite a few suppliers have backorders to fill from all the way back in June. Just got mine from BQM...

That's why I recommended the one I did. Unlike a lot of scam dropship places, they actually have them in stock. You can call and ask if you want.

ctdonath

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 09:10:28 AM »
If it doesn't have the Brown Spoon, it isn't the real thing. Gotta have da Brown Spoon.
Now reading: The Unthinkable, The Age of Innocence
Recently read: 1491

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 09:19:05 AM »
As regards packaging, Sopacko comes with all the same stuff, just in a clear bag. Menu C uses the original bag, but they're harder to find. The only ones worthwhile are those and two other brands.

If you see "MREs" for sale from other places, and the picture of it includes a "nutra fruit" bar, don't buy those...they're crap, with junk food in them, all salt and empty calories with almost no protein. Very low quality.

www.mreinfo.com will show you some more, explain the date codes, and even let you see what other countries eat for their rations.

I actually wish someone made a civilian version of the French RCIR, too. One thing they can do is cook, even with rations.

Main Dishes:
Sauté of rabbit
Alsatian pork stew
North African lamb stew
Duck, olives and potatoes
White bean, sausage and duck casserole
Sausage and sauerkraut
Venison terrine

That's just a few.
Each box includes: Main meals x2, Hors d'oeuvre, Soup, Cheese or a Crème dessert, Salted and Sweet crackers x16, Chocolate bar, Package of caramels, Gum, "Breakfast package" (Tea, Coffee, Cocoa, Milk powder, Sugar, etc), Nougat bar, Fruit gelee, Sugar cubes, Paper towels x10, Heating kit with fuel, disposable stove, waste bag and water purification tablets x6, etc.

I mean...damn. Talk about camping with style. :)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 09:27:38 AM by Manedwolf »

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 09:45:02 AM »
Thanks all. I've got a healthy stock of canned and dry goods for most stay at home situations, and also considering freeze dried for longer term storage at less controlled temperatures. I'm looking to MREs as the portable, self contained food they're supposed to be, primarily for bug out to a secondary location during a 72 hour window.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 10:44:59 AM »
MREs don't last as long as canned good?

Not according to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MRE#Requirements

It says they have a shelf life of 3 years. I've eaten 8 year-old canned stuff, and its tasted great. I've eaten 5 year old dried pasta, and its tasted fine. I've never eaten an MRE, maybe they lose their nutritional value faster?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 10:50:31 AM »
Not according to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MRE#Requirements

It says they have a shelf life of 3 years. I've eaten 8 year-old canned stuff, and its tasted great. I've eaten 5 year old dried pasta, and its tasted fine. I've never eaten an MRE, maybe they lose their nutritional value faster?

Not according to the official tests. If they're stored in excessively hot conditions, yes. Stored in a cool place, they last a long time. 3 years is "best freshness" if stored at 80 degrees. But they can still be eaten, they just lose nutritional value.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 11:34:13 AM »
As regards packaging, Sopacko comes with all the same stuff, just in a clear bag. Menu C uses the original bag, but they're harder to find. The only ones worthwhile are those and two other brands.

If you see "MREs" for sale from other places, and the picture of it includes a "nutra fruit" bar, don't buy those...they're crap, with junk food in them, all salt and empty calories with almost no protein. Very low quality.

www.mreinfo.com will show you some more, explain the date codes, and even let you see what other countries eat for their rations.

I actually wish someone made a civilian version of the French RCIR, too. One thing they can do is cook, even with rations.

Main Dishes:
Sauté of rabbit
Alsatian pork stew
North African lamb stew
Duck, olives and potatoes
White bean, sausage and duck casserole
Sausage and sauerkraut
Venison terrine

That's just a few.
I mean...damn. Talk about camping with style. :)

For the love of Pete!  That is some chow worth fighting for.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 11:48:08 AM »
Cassoulet? As a military ration? Wow!

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2008, 04:26:57 PM »
MW:

Thanks for the heads-up on Meyers. That's everything I was looking for in one place.

SADShooter