Author Topic: 12 Year Old Killed while Trick or Treating  (Read 2100 times)

Waitone

• friend
12 Year Old Killed while Trick or Treating
« on: November 03, 2008, 09:54:07 PM »
Why does depravity and stupidity go hand in hand?

http://www.thestate.com/breaking/story/576874.html
Dad: Slain SC trick-or-treater saved him, siblings
By SEANNA ADCOX - Associated Press Writer

SUMTER, S.C. -- The parents of a 12-year-old shot to death while trick-or-treating said Monday they hope the man accused of killing him suffers for the rest of his life.

T.J. Darrisaw died Halloween night after police say a convicted felon unleashed a barrage of bullets from inside a home, pumping at least 29 shots through the closed door and front of the house. The boy's father and brother also were wounded.

"The injury to my arm is not as bad as the injury to my heart. I've lost a piece of my heart forever," father Freddie Grinnell Jr. said as he sat in his living room Monday.

Police said the suspect, Quentin Patrick, 22, opened fire with an AK-47 because he thought he was being robbed. The family went to the home because the porch light was on, usually a signal that trick-or-treaters are welcome.

Two of three siblings who went to the door with their father were wearing ghoulish masks. Their parents said the slain boy was determined to get candy first, so he was in front when the shots were fired.

"T.J. saved us that night," Grinnell said. "He took most of the shots."

When the shooting stopped, Grinnell said, the door swung open. Patrick stood there, gun in hand, and said, "Oh, no."

"I was holding my son while he was bleeding, and he was backing out of the yard," Grinnell recalled.

Grinnell and another son who was shot were treated for minor injuries and released from a hospital.

T.J.'s mother, Daphne Grinnell, said T.J. liked to bake cakes, in part because he relished licking the batter, and constantly asked what he could do to help out around the home. The seventh-grader was on his middle school drill team and loved math and board games.

"He was always up for a challenge," his father said, recounting how his son got up early for math tutoring. "I was looking forward to his graduation, to high school, to college. I was looking forward to all of it because I know he would make it."

Patrick, who is charged with murder and three counts of assault and battery with intent to kill, was denied bond Monday. He cried and wiped away a tear as the charges were read. He did not enter a plea and a lawyer has not been assigned to his case yet.

State records show Patrick has been charged with evading police and a string of drug crimes since he turned 18 in 2004. He was sentenced to three years in prison but released in January 2007 under a program for first-time offenders after serving just five months.

Prosecutors have not said whether they will seek the death penalty, but the police chief in Sumter, a city of 40,000 about 45 miles east of Columbia, said she will recommend they do.

T.J.'s parents said they want Patrick to suffer for a lifetime behind bars.

"He should have to live every day in jail and see it and feel it every day for the rest of his life," Daphne Grinnell said. "The death penalty would be a shortcut."

Freddie Grinnell Jr. said he doesn't want an apology.

"'I'm sorry' does not bring my child back," he said. "I want justice."

Meanwhile, he continues to relive the nightmare of the shooting.

"I see the same thing," Grinnell said. "We were just standing on the front porch for a second, and all hell broke loose. It happened so quickly."

"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Bigjake

• friend
Re: 12 Year Old Killed while Trick or Treating
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 10:17:27 PM »
While tragic and stupid, am I the only one sick of the media going OMFG it's TEH AK47?

It's not a fracking AK47.  It may look like one, but dollars to doughnuts says the dumbass druggie in question used some form of semi auto variant.

It gets old.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 10:29:36 PM »
Gawd thats freaking horrible, :(
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 11:55:10 PM »
What do you want to bet that it wasn't and ak and this guy was tweeking?
Or someone was looking for him to be that on edge.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 12:33:09 AM »
This could not have possibly happened.  Felons aren't allowed to own guns.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Jeff B.

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 01:46:15 AM »

Aside from that detail, why was this fool even on the outside?  And now that we hve established his place in society, when is his execution date?

The news media focuses on the "guns" not the miscreant that fired those guns.

Jeff  B.
"The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits"
Plutarch

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 02:39:02 AM »
The one confidence I have is SC will not play around.  SC's northern neighbor would not deal with him appropriately.  SC will.  Problem is it will take the usual decade but he will get there.

I personally want to know what was going on in the house or what the idiot in question had just finished doing.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 06:15:12 AM »

I think that this is a very, very important statement.

One day at a time.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 09:36:19 AM »
Aside from that detail, why was this fool even on the outside? 

The article doesn't mention the specifics from the charges, but we know it had something to do with drugs and that he was a first time offender.  I don't see anything in there that suggests he should have been locked up forever. 
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

gregormeister

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 01:33:42 PM »
God forbid that happened to my son..someone wouldn't make it to court!!

erictank

• friends
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 08:25:22 PM »
I think that this is a very, very important statement.

...that will get completely "lost" by the media and politicians. :mad: