Author Topic: So I ship off tomorrow  (Read 6440 times)

freakazoid

• friend
So I ship off tomorrow
« on: November 04, 2008, 11:48:11 PM »
Yeah so today while playing some Fallout 3 my recruiter, I'm joining the Navy to go into the nuke program =D called to say that there was an opening this month to ship off, originally was planning on going April 8th because that was the earliest I could go, so I leave tomorrow at 9:15 to go to MEPS, again yay  ;/ , and from there I fly, never been on a plane before, to Chicago and from there about a 45 minute drive to Great Lakes for boot camp. So I won't be seeing you guys for a long time. And I only just bought Fallout 3 today and only just got the BB gun and now I won't be able to play it :( I'm very excited, =D
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

De Selby

• friend
Re: So I ship off tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 11:49:24 PM »
Good luck to you and enjoy the flight.

It will be a lot smoother than the sailing!  :)
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MikePGS

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 11:57:34 PM »
Congratulations and thank you for your service :)
"The people in the gun culture have a better safety record than any police department in the nation, but in
several states actually prohibit us from using guns for self-protection, and in all the other states except one
they make us buy a license. They tax us so we can have more cops, and when crime still goes up, they tax
us more and ban more of our guns."
John Ross, Unintended Consequences

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 12:00:18 AM »
Get in touch with us when you get a chance.  We know you're working to bring down the organization from the inside.  We can give you tips.   =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 12:13:42 AM »
Thanks everybody  =D

Get in touch with us when you get a chance.  We know you're working to bring down the organization from the inside.  We can give you tips.   smiley

LOL  :angel:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

erictank

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 12:43:39 AM »
Yeah so today while playing some Fallout 3 my recruiter, I'm joining the Navy to go into the nuke program =D called to say that there was an opening this month to ship off, originally was planning on going April 8th because that was the earliest I could go, so I leave tomorrow at 9:15 to go to MEPS, again yay  ;/ , and from there I fly, never been on a plane before, to Chicago and from there about a 45 minute drive to Great Lakes for boot camp. So I won't be seeing you guys for a long time. And I only just bought Fallout 3 today and only just got the BB gun and now I won't be able to play it :( I'm very excited, =D

Congrats, good luck, don't let the bootcamp BS get you down (and nukes get a little more verbal abuse than other future-ratings there), and be prepared to work *REALLY* hard once you actually start in the nuke program.  Do you know which of the ratings you'd like to go for, given that the Navy will largely decide whether you'll get to pick?  I was a nuke-ET back in the 90's (that was the rating they lumped reactor operators into, as opposed to reactor electricians, EMs, or reactor mechanics, MMs), as I was moderately more interested in some electronics work and actually controlling the reactor (which is what the ET's did), as opposed to working on wires and motors (EM) or pumps and valves (MM).  I was on a carrier myself, the Theodore Roosevelt - didn't feel like volunteering for subs in Prototype, as I *REALLY* liked the idea of having my very own rack when I wasn't on duty... =D

Reactor Department - "First on, last off, every cruise"  =D.

Have as good a time as you can manage without getting in trouble, see everything you can while you're deployed, and give us a holler when you can.  Best of luck.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 12:58:02 AM »
You know you have to swear to obey the president, obey your officers, defend the Constitution. You up for all that rigid discipline?

That's not too much of a jab, I'm going to have to think on that oath myself for the next two years before I have to re-up my reserve contract. Not too happy with the new CinC.

Welcome to the Navy, study hard as a nuke or chip paint as a drop-out.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 06:00:45 AM »
Prepare to freeze your ass off!  :laugh:

What rate will you be striking for? If you make it through nuke school great! If not and you are a mechanical rate tell them you want to be in A gang. More education there than in the engine room. I was an ex nuke, didn't have the math background even though I passed the asvab very high. I ended up in A Gang and of all the rates it's one of the few that you can actually translate into gainful employment on the outside as in heating, air conditioning and refrigeration. I'm one of the only ones I know that still does what he did in the Navy 30 years ago. I did chip a bit of paint here and there. Good luck!  =D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

gregormeister

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 09:25:49 AM »
Best of luck!!

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 09:37:59 AM »
Thanks everybody and, PEACE OUT EVERYBODY!! =D

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 10:17:07 AM »
Let us know when you can.  I'm in the Western Suburbs of Chicago....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 10:20:49 AM »
Just remember to always call a submarine a "boat", no matter how big it is. Their commanders and crew will very quickly remind you of that if you get it wrong. :)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 10:46:00 AM »
"Prepare to freeze your ass off." Yeah, I forgot. I left Great Mistakes at the end of October 1994, black flag heat conditions when I got there in July, freezing when I left. Oh I hate that place.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 10:54:18 AM »
Given your position you may want to be carefull of how you speak about Fallout 3.  I know I'd be worried about a nuke tec who speaks longingly of a post nuclear war world   =D

Best of luck to you and thank you for choosing to serve this country.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 11:14:51 AM »
One word of advice:

Keep your revleft tendencies under your hat or whatever they call that silly thing sailors wear.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2008, 12:48:06 PM »
Great Lakes during late fall and winter?  Those nasty wool blankets!!!

Stay dry, stay warm!
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2008, 01:12:48 PM »
Given your position you may want to be carefull of how you speak about Fallout 3.  I know I'd be worried about a nuke tec who speaks longingly of a post nuclear war world   =D
:lol:

Good luck!

erictank

• friends
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2008, 06:49:51 PM »
One word of advice:

Keep your revleft tendencies under your hat or whatever they call that silly thing sailors wear.

That would be either a dixie-cup (probably what you're thinking of) or a command ballcap (which is just a baseball-style hat with the command's name embroidered on the front).  Either may also be referred to as a "cover".  [/useless military trivia =D]

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2008, 09:54:35 PM »
:( So on my way up there I get a call that I will in fact not be able to go. I was at first able to go because someone else dropped out so I got to take there place. But apparently when my recruiter was having some paper work taken care of the higher up person for the country said that I couldn't go. Apparently they only had room for 97 and at the time they had 98 so they were just waiting for someone to drop out, but no one told my MEPs people. The Master Chief even come and apologized to me because of the inconvenience, because I found out I was going to be able to leave just yesterday at around 4:30 I had short notice to quite my job and stuff. They were pretty mad about what was happening to me but they couldn't do anything because it was coming from above them. So it is back to my regular schedule of leaving on April 8, but they said that if there was an opening before then that I would be the first to be able to go.

Good thing is I can start to play Fallout 3 again,  :lol:

Given your position you may want to be carefull of how you speak about Fallout 3.  I know I'd be worried about a nuke tec who speaks longingly of a post nuclear war world    =D

You've got nothing to worry,  :angel: mwuahahahahaha

That would be either a dixie-cup (probably what you're thinking of)

I've always wondered what those were called.

One word of advice:

Funny thing is someone else I know said the same thing lol,  =D

And again I would like to thank everyone for there kind words,  =)

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2008, 12:55:24 AM »
Somehow Fistful is to blame for this.

:lol:

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2008, 01:15:13 AM »
The Master Chief even come and apologized to me...

Do NOT get used to apologies from Master Chiefs.   =D
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2008, 05:38:28 AM »
Yes, it's a "cover". Not sure why.  Then of course there's overhead, bulkhead, deck, scuttle, scuttle butt, buttkit, etc, etc...  :laugh:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2008, 10:21:49 AM »
Do NOT get used to apologies from Master Chiefs.   =D

Yep. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2008, 02:17:00 PM »
DUDE!  Congratulations and thanks.(even though you haven't left yet)

Best of luck out there :)

erictank

• friends
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2008, 06:21:30 PM »
Yes, it's a "cover". Not sure why.  Then of course there's overhead, bulkhead, deck, scuttle, scuttle butt, buttkit, etc, etc...  :laugh:

Don't forget "geedunk", a word used both for candy and for the base/ship facility you buy it from.

Don't ASK why they made up names for things which already HAD names.  Just learn them!   :laugh:

Freakazoid, before I forget again, learn your General Orders now, before you get to boot camp.  It would also be worth your while to learn the enlisted and officer's ranks, as well - it'll let you focus on other stuff once you're at boot camp, rather than piddly little stuff like those items.  Practice your pushups, too, since you've got plenty of time.