Author Topic: The little light bulb goes on...  (Read 21543 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
The little light bulb goes on...
« on: November 06, 2008, 06:51:32 AM »
or how the realization of who he just voted for hits this one guy I was talking to. Friend says, "Who'd you vote for?" I said, "The guy that lost" He says, "Yea, my father voted for him too."' I said something like, "Well, I didn't vote against Obama becasue of his race or anything, he just doesn't have any experience and I'm afraid if these Dems back off the terrorist types like they've been talking about and pull out of iraq and Afghanistan they'll regroup and come back after us."

"But, why would they do that? Why can't they just stay in their own little country and leave us alone?"

I said, "Because they're  religious fanatics and they want the whole world to bow down and comply to their beliefs. There is no middle road here, they want to come here, kill us all and then take over our country and force what's left of us to wear burkas and kneel down facing Mecca 5 times a day"

"But WHY?"

"Because they're crazy and there's not a lot you can do about it except kill as many of them as you can. The best defense is a good offense and if you back off of them even for a little while they'll be trying to regroup for another attack and this time they'll come at us even harder,,, and they will never stop. All we can hope for now is that in the little time Bush had he killed enough of them off so that it'll be a while before they can mount anything serious again. If we back off, we're screwed. The people in this country just made their bed and now they have to lie in it."

Right about there was when I could see the realization hitting him. You know, his eyes got kind of wide and his jaw dropped a bit. I finished with, "Well, all I can tell you now is you better stock up on guns and ammo and probably a few MREs while you're at it." and I left him with that thought.

And you thought losing the election wouldn't be fun. =D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: The little light bulb goes on...
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 10:51:58 AM »
The obvious reason as to why they would come after us in the homeland?

BECAUSE THEY ALREADY DID IT AND DID IT SUCCESSFULLY!

I've run across a couple of idiots like this.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 11:35:36 AM »
"But WHY?"

Trying to reason with people who are completely ignorant of history is like trying to teach cats to wash windows.

The answer is:

BECAUSE THEY ALREADY DID IT AND DID IT SUCCESSFULLY!

The obvious answer wasn't yet another unwinnable land war in Asia, but an Air Force mission on September 12, 2001. Trying to reason with and/or fight people who embrace eighth century religious fanaticism is like trying to teach dogs to mow lawns and rake leaves.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 12:07:47 PM »
"But, why would they do that? Why can't they just stay in their own little country and leave us alone?"

Because we're in their countries.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 12:26:04 PM »
Because we're in their countries.

How many American servicemen were in Afghanistan on 10SEP2001?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

griz

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 01:01:23 PM »

I suspect he means we were involved in trying to influence leaders over there, even if we didn't have troops deployed yet.  I don't have the knowledge or the desire to figure out who started the whole mess, but it is true we were at least considering using force in the mid east:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4587368/
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 02:09:11 PM »
As I understood it Osama was PO'd because we infidels had the audacity to set foot in and thereby defile Saudi Arabia during GWI.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 05:41:48 PM »
I had that general discussion the other day.

Her defense/reasoning?

"We should all just hug, I'm all about a hug.  No one can want to kill you when you hug them."

I was speechless....just long enough to formulate how to explain in small words how utterly. freaking. stupid she was.

Fiancee kicked me while I was trying to explain to her so I don't think it took (the Obamatron in question is her college roomie)
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 05:45:49 PM »

You got the wrong countries there, chief-there were no Afghans on the airplanes.

Ask how many American troops were in Arab countries on 10 Sep 2001 and you've got a different answer to contend with.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 06:35:37 PM »
You got the wrong countries there, chief-there were no Afghans on the airplanes.
And the guy/organization who funded and planned the whole thing lived in/was harbored by what country there chief?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 06:38:47 PM »
And the guy/organization who funded and planned the whole thing lived in/was harbored by what country there chief?

It would be more accurate to say: "the organization that planned the whole thing propped up the gangsterish government of that other country in exchange for being left alone" than "harbored by."

The Taliban did not provide protection to Al Qaeda-it was the other way around; Al Qaeda was protecting the Taliban and providing it with fairly loyal forces.  The Taliban have never cared about an inch of dirt or a single event outside their own country. 
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 06:46:15 PM »
same difference

They lived there, they were based there, they planned it from there, same damn thing.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 06:50:58 PM »
same difference

They lived there, they were based there, they planned it from there, same damn thing.

Yeah, but the point was what motivates these groups-it wasn't like there was some afghan motivation to support Al Qaeda's murders abroad.  "Not based on a fanatical desire to conquer the world" is not the same thing as saying "Not evil, corrupt, or bad."

Case in point: The US sent a few billion in military aid to the government of Lebanon at a time when it was soliciting help from Bin Ladenites to fight 'holy war' against Hizbullah.  That is obviously not the same thing as "supporting Bin Ladenites", even though the effect was that funds went to strengthen allies of Al Qaeda.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 07:14:35 PM »
"We should all just hug, I'm all about a hug.  No one can want to kill you when you hug them."
Did you mention that when you're hugging someone it makes it a lot easier for them to stick that knife in your back?  :laugh:

SS, in what year (or during which administration) were the billions forked over to Lebanon?

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 07:36:47 PM »
280-

I was able to get that out before I was kicked  :lol:

I don't think it took.  Shes a liberal nutso that drives the finance crazy....cause she hates Obama about as much if not more then I do.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 08:19:07 PM »
Did you mention that when you're hugging someone it makes it a lot easier for them to stick that knife in your back?  :laugh:

SS, in what year (or during which administration) were the billions forked over to Lebanon?

This happened over the past two years.  http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/09/AR2008050902628.html

Of course, the money purchased nothing: the secular forces crumbled without a fight, and the Al Qaeda fanatics ended up being unpredictable and dangerous to their US allied hosts.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2008, 10:31:05 PM »
Sad, after all these years we still have no idea how to function correctly in that area.  ;/

Thanks for the link. I was aware that this had gone on but not what the outcome was.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2008, 10:37:38 PM »

Ask how many American troops were in Arab countries on 10 Sep 2001 and you've got a different answer to contend with.

I'd love to know the answer to THAT question....  Just how many Arab countries did we occupy in 1983 when they managed to kill 283 American servicemen, mostly Marines??

Your strawman is weak.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2008, 10:46:17 PM »
Hard to believe that was 25 years ago. A good friend of mine lost his best HS buddy in that one, he was devastated. The kid had been on the cover of SOF just a month prior. Stephen Tingley.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2008, 10:59:38 PM »
Hard to believe that was 25 years ago. A good friend of mine lost his best HS buddy in that one, he was devastated. The kid had been on the cover of SOF just a month prior. Stephen Tingley.

Don't worry about that, 280.  We're all evil bastards as far as the US goes abroad.  We practically had it comming for going around and conquering and occupying all of those poor Arab nations back in the early 80's!

Just like we deserved loosing 20 good Marines (and several of my personal friends) in a single week in 05'.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2008, 11:02:18 PM »
Don't worry about that, 280.  We're all evil bastards as far as the US goes abroad.  We practically had it comming for going around and conquering and occupying all of those poor Arab nations back in the early 80's!

Just like we deserved loosing 20 good Marines (and several of my personal friends) in a single week in 05'.
You say that in sarcasm, but you've no idea how many people believe this.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2008, 01:44:28 AM »
I'd love to know the answer to THAT question....  Just how many Arab countries did we occupy in 1983 when they managed to kill 283 American servicemen, mostly Marines??

Your strawman is weak.

You can't be serious with this question.  You do realize those servicemen were killed....in an Arab country, which they were occupying at the time, right? 

Saying the obvious, that they attacked us for occupying their countries, is not saying anyone deserved to die or that it was any less a tragedy when thousands of Americans lost friends and family members. 

There's a difference between approval and seeking accurate explanations.  Just because you don't approve doesn't mean that your alternative of "they want us all the wear burqas and pray!" is even close to a rational explanation of the causes of terrorism.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 01:47:51 AM by shootinstudent »

280plus

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2008, 06:10:59 AM »
Just because you don't approve doesn't mean that your alternative of "they want us all the wear burqas and pray!" is even close to a rational explanation of the causes of terrorism.
If I'm not mistaken there are those who interpret their Koran as reading just that. That Islam must be forced upon those who refuse to believe or they must be killed. So maybe not ALL of them are acting specifically on this but there are those out there who are. Don't forget the guys running around caning their women because they may have shown a bit more skin than thought to be appropriate. Don't think for a secong they wouldn't want to come here and impose that same sort of rule on us Westerners. Just because we are there doesn't make us an occupying force.

griz

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2008, 07:11:10 AM »
Just because we are there doesn't make us an occupying force.

It doesn't?  What would constitiute an occupying force?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2008, 07:40:47 AM »
It doesn't?  What would constitiute an occupying force?
Our purposes there. Are we there to keep these people under our thumb or are we there to try and give them a chance to make better lives for themselves? When the Nazis took over France and Poland, they were occupying forces, when we kicked them the hell back out of there and moved in ourselves what was our purpose? Didn't we eventually leave once they had the handle back on things for themselves? Hell, most of use were happy to go home, we didn't want to stay there and keep eveything for ourselves. Same story here.