Author Topic: Jogger runs mile with rabid fox locked on her arm  (Read 5563 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Jogger runs mile with rabid fox locked on her arm
« on: November 06, 2008, 09:52:49 PM »
Would you have reacted like this lady? 

Jogger runs mile with rabid fox locked on her arm 
 http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D948V99O3&show_article=1

PRESCOTT, Ariz. (AP) - With a fox locked onto her arm, an Arizona jogger ran a mile to her car, where she was able to dislodge the animal, throw it into the trunk and drive to a Prescott hospital. The Yavapai County Sheriff's Office said the fox, which later attacked an animal control officer, tested positive for rabies.
The unidentified Chino Valley resident told deputies she was on a trail Monday at the base of Granite Mountain when the fox attacked, biting her foot. The woman said she grabbed it by the neck when it went for her leg and it latched onto her arm.

Thinking the fox was rabid, she wanted to make sure it didn't get away so she ran to her car, where she was able to pry open its jaws, wrap it in a sweat shirt and toss it into the trunk.

The woman is receiving rabies vaccinations, as is the animal control officer.

Standing Wolf

• friend
Re: Jogger runs mile with rabid fox locked on her arm
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 11:11:25 PM »
Some people aren't smart enough to carry guns and pocket knives.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 11:13:29 PM »
Dang. She is lucky that she kept it to have it tested, although wouldn't they be able to do a test on your bite wound or something? I can't imagine jogging a whole mile to your car with a fox latched onto your arm with its teeth.  :O
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 11:23:46 PM »
...although wouldn't they be able to do a test on your bite wound or something?

It has been been almost 20 years since I seriously studied virology, but IIRC Lyssavirus preferentially infects the cells of the nervous system and so can only be accurately diagnosed by an necropsy of the brain tissue from a suspected carrier.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 11:51:51 PM »

Or smart enough to carry backup plans, too.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 12:13:30 AM »

That's assuming she would have had time to react and use a firearm to protect herself from the fox.  We don't know exactly how the event transpired.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 05:20:48 AM »
Worst case, I'm jogging to my car carrying a dead fox.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 10:06:21 AM »
That's assuming she would have had time to react and use a firearm to protect herself from the fox.  We don't know exactly how the event transpired.

I think somewhere in the course of the mile run, she could have found time to draw the gun and kill the fox.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 11:18:59 AM »
I think somewhere in the course of the mile run, she could have found time to draw the gun and kill the fox.

Ah, yes.  Fox already attached to arm.  Draw gun, shoot fox, hope the bullet does not do a thru-'n-thru into your own carcass.  I'm good with that.  Not.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 11:31:09 AM »
Good she kept it, but couldn't she have found a rock to brain it with, then carried it?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 11:41:01 AM »
Good she kept it, but couldn't she have found a rock to brain it with, then carried it?

Good question.  There might have been some panic or shock involved.  But even with that, she did keep the fox.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 11:47:17 AM »

It has been been almost 20 years since I seriously studied virology, but IIRC Lyssavirus preferentially infects the cells of the nervous system and so can only be accurately diagnosed by an necropsy of the brain tissue from a suspected carrier.

Now I don't always carry a gun outdoors, but I have a knife at all times. Would it have worked if, in that situation, you just bring back the head of the fox?....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 11:57:53 AM »
 :O I can't imagine what there faces would of been like.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 12:44:26 PM »
I find it funny that so many are wondering why she didn't have a gun with her.

Something tells me that anyone who chooses to run a full mile with live rabid vermin clinging to them is so badass, a gun's just extra weight.

"Hey, look-a jogger.  Easy target."
"Yeah.  You approach from the rear, I'll ask if she has any change."
"Ready?"

"Excuse me, miss?  Do you ha--OH HOLY HELL WHAT THE *(^$# GET OUT OF HERE LARRY!!!"

=D
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 12:51:30 PM »
Actually, if I recall correctly, and consistent with what Sindawe said, I think all they need is a certain amount of brain or spinal cord tissue.  So bringing the head back should be sufficient.  With a small animal such as this, I think they need the brain, since there may not be a large enough volume of neuro tissue in the spinal cord for an adequate culture.  I was always told that when trying to collect a known or suspected rabid animal, to not destroy the head by shooting, crushing or decapitation and discarding the head since if they could not test the animal, they would have to err on the side of caution and administer the rabies series to the patient.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 03:20:02 PM by MillCreek »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008, 01:01:00 PM »
Ah, yes.  Fox already attached to arm.  Draw gun, shoot fox, hope the bullet does not do a thru-'n-thru into your own carcass.  I'm good with that.  Not.

I think that many of us could hit a fox hanging off of our arm without aiming at our own bodies.

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 01:02:51 PM »
I think that many of us could hit a fox hanging off of our arm without aiming at our own bodies.

Sawdust

One that's flopping around, trying to get a better grip on you, flailing with it's limbs, etc?  Might not hit yourself, but good luck making a safe shot.

Chris

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 01:32:02 PM »
One that's flopping around, trying to get a better grip on you, flailing with it's limbs, etc?  Might not hit yourself, but good luck making a safe shot.

Chris

Not to mention that the fox might take your gun away from you and use it against you  :rolleyes:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2008, 01:35:23 PM »
We can all sit here and talk about what she should have done but, she did what she did and it turned out well. She is one tough lady and I have to commend her for keeping a cool head under extreme duress.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2008, 01:37:27 PM »
Not to mention that the fox might take your gun away from you and use it against you  :rolleyes:

Umm, sure.  Or maybe it's just prudent to subdue the small animal some other way rather than whip out our guns and risk sending a bullet into parts unknown.

Some folks are a bit quick to reach for the gun when other tools and methods might be a bit more appropriate.

Chris

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2008, 01:40:05 PM »
We can all sit here and talk about what she should have done but, she did what she did and it turned out well. She is one tough lady and I have to commend her for keeping a cool head under extreme duress.

She certainly did.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2008, 01:50:53 PM »
If she ran a mile with it, it probably wasn't thrashing that much.

Not sure why pinning it against something to make a contact shot seems so difficult.

Not saying that was the only option but it is hardly a difficult to accomplish choice.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2008, 02:18:05 PM »
Are you going to shoot it in the head? 

I would think that if you already have your hands on it, you would be better off using other means.  Bullets don't always travel in a straight line after hitting flesh.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2008, 02:24:25 PM »
I would probably kneel on it and stab it to death.

But if I had to shoot it, I would fire through its upper chest, (that's about the size of a large cat's chest), again while pinning it down.  I don't see the bullet turning 90 degrees inside of 3 inches.

Then I would unlock or cut open its jaws and carry it back to my car and go to the hospital.

I'm not sure why this seems like such a tough task.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2008, 02:27:26 PM »
It's the heat that makes people crazy out there.  Well, heat and booze out there.

I think this should be a yearly event in God's Waiting Room--call it "The Fox Trot" (like the Turkey Trot during Thanksgiving or other events).  Runners run through wastelands with small mammals clamps to body parts.  Best time wins.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.